Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #1

2013/salem hemisphere slide trouble retracting

2013 Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD

Main slide has trouble retracting...possibly something caught under it?? The rail closest to front of camper is digging in slightly to floor. How can I get to it to see if something is causing the issue?
Armadabjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:59 PM   #2

I am having the same problem and more since I bought my unit new in '13. I have to have three people in order to take the slide in or out. One on the button and on on each end, pushing out to go out and from the outside pushing in to go in. The slide sits (heavy) on several large floor rollers and strains to move in or out because of the lack of support from the 'v' rollers that are on the side channels. IF you do not get this looked at to make the movement smoother, you will rip the weather fabric off of the bottom of the slide. Just this morning I talked to a schwintek parts person about getting the bigger slide motors, a schwintek tech about pulling the slide out of the box and raising the wall rails and a Forest River service guy about putting a new floor on the slide. I was told by the Forest River service guy that it is possible to raise the slide without taking it out of the box and relieve some pressure from the floor wheels and he told me the a Dealer knows how to do this. I have looked for hours online to find a way to do this have have not found any. Everything that I read about is that it is non adjustable. If you think that something may be obstructing the floor wheels, you can raise the carpet on the inside and see them or from the outside pull the rubber weather flap carefully down and you can see the floor wheels.

I will tell you right now, that if you have not pulled your wheels and repacked your wheel bearings and make sure that the spindle nut is tight and not letting the bearings move back and forth. Do It Now. The factory does not put grease in the spindle cavity and puts the bearings on loose. I had lost both of my rear axle bearings on each side of the camper on SpringBreak a couple of weeks ago. total cost of repair over 1,000 dollars. The axles are 4,400 pds each and seem to be to weak for the load that is on the Hemisphere + cargo + water and anything in the black/gray tanks. Repack your bearings now and reset your brakes. NOW. I was on the side of the road for three days getting repairs, 1,000 miles from home. I am researching on putting 5,200 pd axles under my Hemisphere. We love the camper, but hate all of the bugs.

You may/can override the system and force it in or out, but this is not a long term solution.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 05:49 AM   #3

Where is the override? And how do I access under the slide if I have something caught in there?.... Like one of my kids toys or something..... Ugh
Old 04-09-2015, 07:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armadabjj View Post
Where is the override? And how do I access under the slide if I have something caught in there?.... Like one of my kids toys or something..... Ugh

Across from the bathroom door is a high closet and a drawer under it. take the drawer out. The slide controller for the large slide is the one closest to you. If something is caught under the slide, you can lift up on the carpet inside the unit and look under it. If the slide is out a foot or so, get under the slide outside and pull the rubber sweep back toward you and you can look under the slide from the outside. There are several large rollers wheels under the floor that the slide moves of.

This pdf should help you.
http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...leshooting.pdf

http://www.amlrv.com/site/wp-content...l-override.pdf

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #5

Thanks for the help, I will try this!

Tags
2013, salem, slide