Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2020, 09:11 AM   #1

2015 sierra flik right front slide

I sent this email to forest due to an ongoing issue since. I need thoughts or help on dealing with this.

Dear Mr. Sorrell:

I have been having an extremely upsetting and very costly experience with my 2015 Sierra 377FLIK fifth wheel trailer. I request compensation and proper repairs from Forest River Inc.

The motors for the front slides have always seemed to work harder than any other trailer that we’ve owned. There have been issues from the start in bringing in the Schwintech slides in and out, in that we’ve had to run the slides partway in, then out, then in again repeatedly. It got to the point that we could no longer retract the front slides completely.

In July 2018 we took it to Leisure Days RV in Kingston, Ontario because the front slide on the door side was not pulling all the way back in. The tech there called the factory to find out what to do with it and told us he had made adjustments when we picked it up. We took it home and parked it and it seemed to be fine.

In August 2018 we went to the International Rally in Indiana and they looked at the system because, again, it wasn't pulling all the way in. The technicians at the rally messed around with it and got it pulled in enough for us to travel. They refused to take it to the factory to repair it, even though we were willing to stay extra time to get it repaired properly.

In October 2018, we took the trailer to Peterborough RV centre as the front slide was again not returning all the way in. They refused to touch it as it was a Schwintech system.

In February 2019, we took the trailer to 1st Choice RV in Syracuse, Indiana, on the advice of Chase Byer, (Retail Customer Administrator for Forest River). The roof rails were lifting and the front Schwintech slides were again not pulling all the way in. The techs there changed the roof rails and said the problem with the slides was one of the slide-out motors was defective and there were not enough roller guide shoes on both slides. They changed one of the Schwintech slide out motors as it was defective, slide floors on both sides and seals around slide out. None of these repairs were covered under extended warranty as it was stated that poor manufacturing is not a warranty item.

In August 2019, we again went to the International Rally in Indiana, and the slide screws were backing out and the slides were opening as we were driving down the highway. The head person for Forest River told the technicians on site to fix it as it was a safety issue. They ended up putting metal trim around slides which is a repair that was being done on other Schwintech systems so slides and screws stayed in place.

In January 2020, again the front slide door side would not pull all the way in. We took it to 1000 Islands RV Centre in Gananoque, Ontario and they diagnosed a “bad slide motor and wiring from slide room being too tight for slide to work correctly - slide was binding and rubbing on one slide motor actually wearing a mark in motor and wiring rubbed to the point of open circuit and shorting. The room is too large for the hole to float and operate as designed.” They have repaired it as well as they could but say that it is still not right.

So far, we have paid out around $8000.00 (US) to try to fix the slide issues and I'm being told it still can't be fixed. I am a very unhappy customer at this time. Every time we try to take our trailer on the road, there is an issue with the slide and it costs us more. When we took it to 1st Choice RV we tried to claim it under extended warranty and were told that poor manufacturing is not covered. Again when we took it to 1000 Islands RV Centre, we were told that poor manufacturing is not covered by Extended Warranty.

I would ask that you cover the costs of repairs that we have incurred due to poor manufacturing and have a look at the Trailer to see if there is anything that can be done to repair it so we do not have to continually pay to have the slide brought back in. We are willing to travel to the factory to have it repaired properly.

I received back this morning that forest river will not look at trailer or reimburse extra expense.
Maverick935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:38 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. You have a 2015 rig that didn't have problems for 3 years well past the normal warranty time. it seems to me the issue is with the extended warranty company not covering the item and using the excuse of poor manufacturing. Wouldn't you think if it was poor manufacturing the problem would have surfaced sometime sooner then 2018. I would hold the extended warranty company's feet to the fire.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:42 AM   #3

Was just told by rv dealer the slide box is too big for opening. Nobody ever said that before
Maverick935 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sierra, slide