Old 06-23-2020, 08:08 AM   #1

Unhappy 23 Tracer FBS cable slider not working

We have a 2013 Tracer. Has been working well since new. Made a stop on the road, tried to open the slider, not a sound, not a movement. I removed the switch, and inspected the wiring harness. When I wiggled the harness (thinking it was just a loose connection) the harness shorted out where what i believe are the power wires (black and black red) enter the black plastic part.

A bit of smoke and warmed the ends of the wire up. Located a dealer nearby on the road and replaced the harness. No change. Next, replaced the switch . . . no sound, (not even a "click" . . . No movement.
There is power to the switch, all fuses on the converter are good.

Cable operated slider . . . dealer technician was kind enough to come in and have a quick look . . . he suspected motor replacement. He said "they just die sometimes . . ."

We had to abandon the trip and return home. (4 yr. old Grandson was with us)

What is my next step?
Are there relays, inline fuses or something else that may be involved?

Thanks for your help!

leobeaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #2

Check for voltage at the motor.

Our slide also has a manual crank adapter to move the slide if needed. Does yours have that?

1953 GMC 9314
1982 GoldWing Interstate
Lins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:01 PM   #3

Right track?

Hi Lins,

Thank-you for offering to help!
I appreciate the advice to see if we have voltage at the motor. I had not thought that there might be a break in the line . . .
The motor and gearbox appear to be mounted on the trailer wall... Approx 3 feet away from the edge of where I can stand with the slide in. I have have begun to carefully removed some of the trim (bulkhead) on the interior edge of the slide that would allow me to reach in that far (for testing votage or even hooking up the manual crank mechanism) Am I on the right track for that?

We have a flexible crome shaft that appear to be able to fit in the end of a drill and fits somewhere in the transmission. It is approx 12 inches long.

Lo
Old 06-27-2020, 02:55 PM   #4

Go power

I was finally able to remover the inside trim and figure out how to manually open the slide..... so now I can see and reach the motor.
Yes, I have power to the motor and the switch is operational.....
Old 06-27-2020, 03:26 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by leobeaudry View Post
I was finally able to remover the inside trim and figure out how to manually open the slide..... so now I can see and reach the motor.
Yes, I have power to the motor and the switch is operational.....
I also own a TracerAir TT and my slide won't move out. Can you describe how you did this or PM me pics of the areas of motor access? PrimeTime sent me pics and description of cutting the outside upper slide trim piece to access the motors.
Thanx.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:45 AM   #6

Smile Can do better than that

I found this YouTube video on exactly how to remove the trim, and what is involved in adjusting, the cables and such. They do a good job showing what needs to be done, and some advice on how to do it.

https://youtu.be/we0z3iVD9Uo

As far as access to the motor and maually opening the slide to access the motor:
In my case the slide is quite deep, so I could not access the motor with the slide closed, so I had to open the slide first.

On my Tracer the access is at the end of the motor which can be seen by going into the bedroom area (front) of the trailer, using a step-stool and looking toward the end of the trailer along the wall. I took the flexible shaft that was supplied with the trailer, and inserted it over the hex fitting and then used a drill to open the slide. My slide is not only deep, it is wide as well, so my arms and shaft were not long enough to reach, so I used a socket extension as well to reach.

I also found the manual on line:
https://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/a...ice-manual.pdf

Turns out, that my motor was the issue. . . so remove and replace.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-2020, 02:31 PM   #7
Site Team

Many Thanks!

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, slide, tracer