Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2013, 03:10 PM   #1

2860 Slide out roller

While in California this summer we heard a loud "crack" when putting in the front slide. That day we found some small ball bearings and pieces of plastic in the floor in front of the slide. Discovered that one of the slide rollers had self destructed. I obtained a new roller but was unable to install because of clearance. Thought about jacking up the slide while out to give clearance but haven't tried this yet. Anyone have any experience or ideals to install?
WV Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #2

Were you able to get the roller replaced? We had an issue where the small slide was tilted to one side. It turns out the bracket is a slotted flat plate bolted to the wall with "arms" at about a 45 degree angle. The roller is in between the arms, The flat plate began bending. I put the slide most of the way out so I was able to reach the bracket, and used a floor jack from the inside, a few inches allowed me to remove the two screws holding the bracket and fix it in the garage. I mig welded additional bracing and we are good, Just use a piece of plywood to spread out the surface area of the jack.
KDEL1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #3

I think yours is somewhat different from the slide in my unit. Took it to the dealer where I purchased it (they no longer handle motorhomes) and the technician worked for 2 hours to finally get the new roller installed (noted that he had never replaced one of this type). On the first use the new roller self destructed. Was at a dealer several miles from where I live I talked with the service manager about my problem. Said to bring it in and he would try to determine the problem. I'm not sure where to go from here.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #4

Can you post a picture of what you have?
KDEL1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #5

Pictures

Here are a couple of pictures of the rollers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5212.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	25224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5208.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	25225  
Old 03-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
Graduate Member

wow - we have a 2860 and my mechanic BIL fixed ours (the gear was off the track and loose). I know how tight it is down there. Did you try removing that finish board right in front?
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:50 AM   #7

Removed the finish board and it helped a little but not much. Have talked to technicians at 2 dealers and neither one had ever replaced a roller on a unit like mine. After my first experience I don't want anymore "experimenting" at my expense. If I can find a technician that has worked on one before I would feel better.