Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2014, 08:50 AM   #1

3050 slide out issue!

Hi gang,

New here so bare with us. We just took delivery of our 2015 Sunseeker 3050. The dealer experience has been awesome. Brought it home Friday and ran the slide out in and out once and worked great. The next morning started to run the slide out and it started to bind. I stopped immediately realizing the driver side compartment door was up and the slide rested against it.

Ran the slide in, closed the compartment door. Now our slide only moves about 3 inches. Looks like the front of the slide is working properly but the rear of the slide is either binding or not working at all. As a safety, you'd think the compartment door would have a safety switch on it so slide won't run.

We took our coach back to the dealer Saturday for them to look at. Any thoughts as to a solenoid or relay that could have popped. It was a 2 hour drive back to the dealer.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

You may have broke a shear pin
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 10:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceblaze580 View Post
You may have broke a shear pin
Interesting. I did not realize the slides have "shear pins". I'm assuming a shear pin for a slide out is just like one on a snow blower. It's designed to break so no damage is done to the slide motor or slide itself. Did not realize slides have them.

I would think the little plastic compartment door retainer (thing that holds it from closing on you) would break before an issue with the slide.

Thanks for the insight. Let's hope it's that simple.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:36 PM   #4

Well Gang, We picked up our Coach from the dealer on Saturday. I can't say enough good about them. The got us in the very first day, had the part on day number 3 and fixed. Turned out to be a bad slide motor. Sure makes me wonder that the slide motor failed within a day of delivery. It happends...

The only thing we noticed, when bringing the slide in, it seemed to labor. I'm thinking it's a characteristic of the "large" slide.

Non the less, we extremely happy with our dealer from the ordering, financing and delivery. Sales, Service and Parts are all great. I can speak from experience since I've been a Manager in Fixed operations of the Car Industry for over 34 years.

Okay, I rambled enough..
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD
Old 04-06-2014, 08:32 PM   #5

Good to hear they got you back on the road
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #6

Nice to read a story where the dealer really gets involved and repairs are made quickly. As far as the shear pin thingy goes: I had been camping about 75 miles from home on one occasion and had closed up the camper as usual. About halfway home I looked in the drivers side rear-view mirror and saw that my slide was about half-way out. Not a pretty sight at 60 MPH. There was literally no where to pull over to get completely off the road so I just pulled over the best I could. Luckily the slide went in with just pushing on it. I drove carefully to a place I could get completely off of the highway and pulled in. I went into the TT and discovered that I could move the slide out just by pushing on it moderately. After I got it back in I found some rope and tied to a part under the sofa and the dinette table mount on the opposite wall. A day or so later I started looking at what the problem may be and found a sheared pin. This pin was not easy to get to. I had to pull the entire drive mechanism out to replace it. I now carry two spare pins and tools to replace the pin.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Nice to read a story where the dealer really gets involved and repairs are made quickly. As far as the shear pin thingy goes: I had been camping about 75 miles from home on one occasion and had closed up the camper as usual. About halfway home I looked in the drivers side rear-view mirror and saw that my slide was about half-way out. Not a pretty sight at 60 MPH. There was literally no where to pull over to get completely off the road so I just pulled over the best I could. Luckily the slide went in with just pushing on it. I drove carefully to a place I could get completely off of the highway and pulled in. I went into the TT and discovered that I could move the slide out just by pushing on it moderately. After I got it back in I found some rope and tied to a part under the sofa and the dinette table mount on the opposite wall. A day or so later I started looking at what the problem may be and found a sheared pin. This pin was not easy to get to. I had to pull the entire drive mechanism out to replace it. I now carry two spare pins and tools to replace the pin.
Yes, we can't say enough about our dealer.. They have taken great care of us so far.

WOW.. That slide issue you had could have gotten real ugly. We hope this will be our last slide issue....
2018 Coachmen Chaparral 338 TSIK
2016 (Seasonal Site) Chariot Park Model
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

Tags
305, slide, slide out