Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2020, 03:47 PM   #1

3171 DS bunk slide out top seal won't flip

This 2017 Forester was purchased used and the former owner, it appears,did zero or slightly less maintenance. The bunk (curb side) slide out top gap for is about 3/4 of an inch, where as the street side slide out (couch) has close to 1 1/2 inches.
The small gap does not permit the top "sweep" seal to flip and stays permanently facing out. The gap issue should have been a warranty issue, but was not discovered by the original owner. The seal was very wrinkled from being crushed when the slide was repeatedly closed. I replaced the seal, which is when I discovered the gap issue, today.
Attached photos show the original seal condition. Yes those are NAILS holding the seal/gasket in place.
I had a problem with the front of the street side slide out and based on a forum suggestion added the molding on the front face of the slide out to trip the sweep gasket and make the flip happen, works great.
Before I add the molding to the problem side, I wonder if the 3/4 inch gap will be enough to allow the molding piece to slide past with the gasket tying to squeeze in to the small gap.
----I have considered trimming the seal and making it narrower (top to bottom), but am unsure about that fix
Any thoughts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200428_092020.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	227827   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200428_092055.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	227828  
retiredintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:10 PM   #2

Some slide out room mechanisms are adjustable, some are not.

Good that your handy and could replace a seal. But my unit is going on 14 years old with the original seals and sweeps. And just last year I had my dealer check my tolerances on my slide and no issues were found.

Although there is at least one YouTube video on how to do adjust a slide room, your mechanism might not be the same.

If it were my unit I would schedule an appointment with my dealer to look at it, and possibly adjust or find the root cause and fix it.

Not a good idea to travel with slide out rooms out of adjustment or risk possible leaks with seals not working like they should.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:02 PM   #3

Slideout adjustment

Unfortunately the slide out has no place to go down for an adjustment, this is a design issue, with too small a hole or too large a slide out? Two more pictures are added. One shows the new wiper seal, the other shows the end of the new seal and how much material will have to be tucked into the smaller opening. Sorry forgot to rotate the 2nd picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200428_162811.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	227842   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200428_162832.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	227843  
Old 04-28-2020, 09:24 PM   #4

No worries on rotating the picture.

My Sunseeker wipers are far from even with each other.
The wipers do not always fully flip out and I rarely take the time especially on overnight stay while traveling to flip them out. My service manager suggested using my awning pull out rod to slide under the wiper and run it up or down to flip them. I've rarely done even that but my problem is not quite as acute as yours - or maybe.

With my slide outside have never has an issue with rain getting in despite the wipers not being out evenly

My only other suggestion, and possibly you've already done this, is to keep your rubber gaskets and wipers well lubricated. I use spray silicon with teflon, but I think any spray silicon for rubber will work.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:26 AM   #5

slide out fixes

Thanks for the comments
I have tried to flip them out manually, but the reach into the middle of the slide was too far, unless I made a tool.
When I first got the Motorhome, I worked on sweep and did all the lubricating to try and get the flipping action, but did not succeed.
The sweep never really flips in and was severely wrinkled, so I worked on trying to get it even and laid down on the top of the slide out roof. I couldn't make this happen, so I replaced it.
The picture I posted shows a very long sweep gasket, but I don't think that length is necessary for the gap I have. I can shorten it quite easily.
The now begs the question. What is the optimum length of the sweep?
Old 04-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #6

For comparison on length I looked at pictures in my gallery and found one I could zoom in on and the gasket and sweep length are equal to yours.

I would post the picture directly bu th my new cell phone picture file type is not compatible with the fr requirements. I snapped a screen shot and will try to post that so you can see. I see the snapshot attachment was a success. You are looking at the drivers side front slide out, bottom half of slide out room with gasket, the sweepers are the same length buy do not show

If you shorten them you run the risk of water intrusion, that's why they extend past the slide room bottom. Between the effect of the rubber gasket and sweep under the slide out room and the side gasket and sweep they form a pretty effective water barrier.

Might try calling Forest River for advice, they may be willing to talk, outside chance there was a manufacturing mistake on the part they used?

ChrisClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200429-083757_Gallery.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	227876
Old 04-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #7

sweep gasket flip

I took a chance on the tight gap and installed a short piece of molding on the roof to trigger the flip when closing, it worked.
I will be adding some more pieces later today. I settled on pieces vs a long single strip of molding to allow the sweep to flip at different times and not stress anything. Also not to trap water that will blow in
I will follow this up later today with pictures for legacy searches.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #8

Good to hear how things are going.

The short strips of moulding strategy is smart imho.

Chris .
Old 04-30-2020, 12:15 PM   #9

This seems to be a common problem for FR ( maybe other brands also). Had the same issue with my 2018 3011 DS from day one. First noticed on the ride home after purchase. There was a loud squeak from the drivers side slide when going down the road that would drive you crazy. Reported it under warranty and after several attempts by the dealer to adjust, replace rollers I took pictures and measurements myself and sent to dealer and FR showing the front side of slide gap was 3/4” difference from top to bottom, sweep was pinched so tight at top you could not even get a flat blade screwdriver in between slide and coach body to get the sweep out, which had also caused the sweep to start tearing.Was told by FR this was a simple adjustment (not true) the next attempt was to remove slide from coach and replace entire operating mechanism and all seals, during this attempt the real problem was discovered, the opening in the side of the coach was built 2” out of square. Many phone calls later FR agreed to take back to factory and repaired, still not completely square but gap is now within 3/8” from top to bottom so squeak is gone, sweep works much better and is no longer pinched. So in the end FR did the right thing but it took 20 months to resolve, many lost weeks of use, but seems to be fine now. I would never purchase another RV that has slides without checking these measurements before buying and if they were off move on to another unit. Good luck with yours hope the added piece works.
1000 sportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #10

sweep seal fixed, I hope.

Please see attached. The molding was put in at an angle and 3 pieces to allow water to escape, if needed. The gasket flipped OK except at the far end, now have to buy another piece to finish the job.

Again thanks for all of the comments
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200501_111644[1].jpg
Views:	90
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	228037  
Old 05-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #11

Am I looking at this with the correct orientation, is that a picture of the bottom of the slide out? Basing this on the observation of the weep holes on the window.

Anyway, glad it works.

Chris
Old 05-03-2020, 07:02 AM   #12

That picture is the top slide out. The window is universal right or left opening for the screen. There are weep holes on top and bottom. The weep hole is plugged at the top in my configuration.

Tags
bunk, seal, slide, slide out