Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2022, 11:43 PM   #1

Adjusting for one upper corner of slide out

So, I've been a certified auto tech for over 30 years, yet this one stumps me. Frustrating. My brand new Salem Hemisphere's passenger side slide out, will not seal on the upper right hand corner when retracted. All other 3 corners are tight. The slide tips in during retracting, however right before the corner touches, it stops and backs out 1/4" from the seal. Everything is tight, centered and level. I've checked the floor height on each side and it's within Lippert's through frame electric specs. Since I live in Seattle, and bought it out of state, no dealer will touch it. Nice support system Forest River, thanks. I've made several adjustments in/out, up/down and nothing makes a difference. Any help would be much appreciated. I can't be the only goon that has seen this.
scratchgolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 12:56 AM   #2

What brand of slide system do you have?

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBrownstein View Post
What brand of slide system do you have?
Lippert through frame electric
Old 01-17-2022, 02:50 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchgolfer View Post
So, I've been a certified auto tech for over 30 years, yet this one stumps me. Frustrating. My brand new Salem Hemisphere's passenger side slide out, will not seal on the upper right hand corner when retracted. All other 3 corners are tight. The slide tips in during retracting, however right before the corner touches, it stops and backs out 1/4" from the seal. Everything is tight, centered and level. I've checked the floor height on each side and it's within Lippert's through frame electric specs. Since I live in Seattle, and bought it out of state, no dealer will touch it. Nice support system Forest River, thanks. I've made several adjustments in/out, up/down and nothing makes a difference. Any help would be much appreciated. I can't be the only goon that has seen this.
You do know that you can use an independent RV shop or mobile RV technician, right?
You just need to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 02:58 AM   #5

FR considers slide adjustments to be maintenance, so they wouldn't help out. Worse case i use a slide lock to pull it in the rest of the way until I figure out the fix.
Old 01-17-2022, 07:43 PM   #6

Certified tech

Quote:
A certified tech would be delighted to have the service manual. Here it is.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Larry, thank you however i didn't see an attachment
Old 01-17-2022, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
I got it..slight color difference in the text
Old 01-17-2022, 08:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Larry, thank you however i didn't see an attachment
I already have that one, however it doesn't address the adjustment, if any, for just one top corner not seating.
Old 01-17-2022, 10:04 PM   #10

My curb side slide seals on all but left upper corner seal has les than 1/8" of gap.The vertical board on my is slightly bowed twisted and i think that why mine doesn't seal.it doesn't leak or do i get any wind noise or notice draft from that corner.i did adjust the outward stop position i shorten mine up .25" that help some as to me wss trying to push the bottom of slide out witch cause top to fall inward.i think slide is trying to over exstend.
Gmoney67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
To my recollection, yours is the only post I have ever seen about it so am not sure just how many "All" encompasses. Try the extensions and see if that solves it for you.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Will the extension fix my slide issue?��
Old 01-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Will the extension fix my slide issue?��
Lol, it will not. I moved all these off topic posts to their own thread.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Forest River Forums mobile app

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 11:35 AM   #13
D W

Quote:
I already have that one, however it doesn't address the adjustment, if any, for just one top corner not seating.
You can't just adjust one corner by itself. You have to do a complete mechanical room adjustment (vertical & horizontal), which starts on page 13 of the manual.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 11:30 AM   #14

Quote:
So how did make out?
KurtB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 01:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtB View Post
So how did make out?
Did the repairs myself as I dont trust any goon to work on my RV. The upper horizontal flange is convexed in the middle which is the cause of my issue. Able to get it close enough to make contact, built a factory appearance perimeter flashing to redirect water from the top and front, and will use an expandable slide lock while towing. All good now.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:21 AM   #16

Good recovery

Quote:
Did the repairs myself as I dont trust any goon to work on my RV.
A man after my own heart!
Quote:
The upper horizontal flange is convexed in the middle which is the cause of my issue. Able to get it close enough to make contact, built a factory appearance perimeter flashing to redirect water from the top and front, and will use an expandable slide lock while towing. All good now.
Couldn't get the bow out?
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 11:24 AM   #17

Quote:
Did the repairs myself as I dont trust any goon to work on my RV. The upper horizontal flange is convexed in the middle which is the cause of my issue. Able to get it close enough to make contact, built a factory appearance perimeter flashing to redirect water from the top and front, and will use an expandable slide lock while towing. All good now.
Myself being a contractor for the past 39 years, made me wonder why there is no "flashing" that would direct water out and over the top of the slide outs.
There are aluminum extrusions that could be installed on the wall so rain then goes over the slideout seal instead of just running down behind it.
A slideout topper would accomplish this too, but is way too much. I find when my slides are out I have better leak protection than with them in.
FirstFiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:05 PM   #18

Quote:
A man after my own heart!

Couldn't get the bow out?
I didn't want to chance "massaging" the heavy metal frame back into a perfect plane. The hardware used by the factory is marginal at best and if anything gets loose, it's too hard to repair.

Tags
slide, slide out