Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2017, 01:47 PM   #1

Apex 258RKS Manual Slideout Operation

Hi All,

My slideout has jammed-won't go out. It's a new trailer under warranty so I'm taking it in this week. This is the second time it has jammed-luckily both times before we left to go somewhere. So I think I'm justifiably concerned about this happening in the middle of nowhere and worst-case not being able to get the slideout in so I can tow the trailer.

My friends with trailers all have a manual crank-why this model doesn't have one is beyond me. Various youtube videos, etc., exist showing how to manually move the slideout but depending on the trailer the instructions are different. For example, one video describes how to remove the motors, indicating there is no screw to be removed but the instructions I received via email from Forest River indicate there *is* a screw to be removed. But those instructions from Forest River also show a different motor controller from the one I have so I don't have a lot of confidence in the info in general. (I've thought about experimenting at home but am concerned my warranty will be voided if I start messing around with it)

I want to be comfortable knowing I can handle the situation if the slideout fails while camping. I'm wondering if anybody else has this model of trailer (Apex 258RKS) that has actually manually extended or retracted the slideout?

Thanks so much for any assistance.
Lazy Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:12 PM   #2

You should have a lippert shwintek slide. There is a screw to remove. On my parents slide it is on the outside of the trailer. There is one screw that runs through the wiper seal on the side of the slide. You remove that screw and then go inside the trailer. Remove the small seal on the inside of the slide. You only have to remove the top. Then the motor gets lifted up enough to disengage the gear and you push the slide in. You have to do both sides though to push it in. If your controller doesn't match what you have seen online, you could email Lippert with the part number and ask for information on that unit.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the response bigmurph! What model trailer do your parents have? According to instructions I have from Forest River there is a screw but it is inside. Other than that the instructions sound similar to yours. One concern I have which I won't know is valid until I can get it extended again is whether I can reach the motors when it is extended because the slideout goes against the wall which seems would preclude access to the motors. Well we'll see at the end of the week. Thanks again for your response.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #4

My parents have a Thor motorhome with two of the same type slides. I learned about them this summer because they were getting some noise out of one of the slides while they were driving. When you have the slide extended, you should see a screw that is in the seal around the same area as the top track on the slide. That is the one that you remove. I suppose it could be mounted inside because I saw that in a lot of videos but both of theirs are on the outside. They have two control boxes for the slides. I'm not sure why because I thought that one of the controls could do more than one slide. Anyway, one of them looks just like everything I found online about trouble shooting the system. The other one looked slightly different but I never messed with it because it wasn't related to the slide that I was working on. Lipperts website has some good info on it about the slides and they can tell you how to get them to go into a nuetral operation so that you can slide the slide without removing motors. That will only work if there isn't a problem with that part of the circuit. The motors are locked all the time and when you press the button to move them they unlock. There is a way to unlock them (may be able just to unplug them at the controller). Once this is done you can slide them by hand. Here is a link to the videos. If you look in the manual you will find some diagnosis information. https://www.lci1.com/support-center/ Look under the slide out section. They list it as a in-wall slide.
Old 02-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #5

Thanks bigmurph. Good info on the link you posted.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #6

Another suggestion would be to contact Coachmen with your brand and model number.

I have contacted Ben Kruip with the Apex division for Coachmen. Ben was very helpful and responded to my e-mails.

Here's an address:
Coachmen RV - Manufacturer of Travel Trailers - Fifth Wheels - Tent Campers - Motorhomes
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:43 PM   #7

Hi glsimms,

Thanks for the response. I did get info from Ben last week via email-he responded quickly. The controller that his documentation showed was different from what I have so I did have some concern regarding the accuracy of whether or not you needed to remove a screw to lift up motor since one of the YouTube videos didn't mention a screw. I'm hoping to pick the brain of the technicians when I take it in this week to have it fixed. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:01 PM   #8

Hi bigmurph:

Based on additional review of documentation it looks like the screw *is* on the outside like you said in your post. Will verify once I get it extended.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:46 PM   #9

You need to get the tech to show you how to reset it and put it in neutral. That would get you out of bind if it messed up in a campground. Let us know how it goes.
Jeff

Tags
manual, slide