Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 09:22 AM   #1

Black plastic drag chain cable carrier on slide out

Hi all,
My black plastic drag chain cable carrier at the left side bottom of my 2018 FR3 30DS motorhome dining slide out has started to kink when I operate the slide out. It looks like it has a guide in the back and tucks into a space behind the toilet.
Has anyone experienced this problem. I have to use a broom handle to guide it into the slot.
Ron
Woody51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:12 PM   #2
Site Team

It's called energy chain and a link probably twisted.
Since it's a 2018 model, is it under warranty?
If so, I'd go ahead and get them to fix it. It will get worse over time.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #3

Thanks Bama,
It takes forever to get warranty work done. I was hoping someone has done their own repair or replace or if there is a video on how to do it. I have good repair skills.
Ron
Old 11-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody51 View Post
Thanks Bama,
It takes forever to get warranty work done. I was hoping someone has done their own repair or replace or if there is a video on how to do it. I have good repair skills.
Ron
If still under warranty, you can use an independent RV shop or mobile RV tech. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #5

Thanks Bikendan,
The energy chains seem to be cheap and I like hands on repairs if I can get to it. It is in a small 6" space between the dinnette and bathroom wall.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:56 PM   #6
Site Team

Those chains are easy to repair, but you have to remove all the wiring, hoses, etc. in it because I don't think they use hinged models.

In order to find parts, look on the chain for a part number or measure it and search the internet for it, and you should find what you need.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #7

Mine started coming apart and I used Gorilla Tape as a temporary fix last Spring. The "fix" still is in perfect order. I suspect it will last quite a bit longer. If not, I have more tape.

I just wrapped it tightly around the deformed links. My repair was the outbound six inches of chain.

I assumed that replacing the chain required some major effort. If that is incorrect then, I may need to reconsider my temporary fix and do it with new parts.
daveinthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #8

Broken cable carier

After several jammed slideout issues on my 2017 GT 270S and having to manually crank it in two times, finally figured out that the cable carrier was binding on some broken link pieces. It's still under warranty so my dealer ordered the parts from Forest River. After five weeks of my rig sitting at the dealers the parts finally arrived. Oh, FR sent the wrong size so it's been reordered. I'm sure that FR will Comp me the payments for the two months of not being able to use my rig.

I recommend caution for those guys patching the cable carriers. The broken link pieces jammed on mine to the point it tripped off the motor and it had to hand cranked in. Taking the molding apart to find the motor, playing contortionist to even reach the motor manual connection point and using a drill was NOT easy nor fun. FYI - As we all know the documentation is non-existent on many FR products, so if you haven't down loaded the manual slideout procedures do it before your next trip. When mine was jammed open, had to drive a couple hours out of the mountains to get a cell signal to down them before driving two hour back to the rig. I was NOT a happy camper that day.
JTseed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, cable, slide, slide out