Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2018, 06:39 PM   #1

Black Plastic Under Slide Out Wearing

I have a 2012 Coachmen Catalina and the black plastic material under one side of the slide out is worn right through to the plywood. I tried putting Gorilla tape over it but it just bunched up after a couple uses. Are there rollers under these units or does the slide just slide on the carpet? Is there a permanent fix for this?

It's only happening on one side. Is there a way to adjust the slide out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5131.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	183899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5132.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	232.7 KB
ID:	183900  
Kamadake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Have you inspected your rollers to see if they are working.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Should be rollers, but one could be stuck or out of alignment.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:52 PM   #4

I looked from both the outside and the inside and couldn't see any rollers. I'm assuming if this model had rollers, you'd be able to see them from the outside?
Kamadake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. Have you inspected your rollers to see if they are working.

X2 Yes, there are rollers and you may have a roller that is not turning....just skidding along tearing at the material. A good dealer/tech will be needed to get at the roller because access can only be gained by either lifting the slide if there is enough room or pulling the slide out of the RV.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 01:28 PM   #6

Probably height is out of adjustment. Will cause bottom to gouge out.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:57 PM   #7
USMC Retired

I have the same issue with my 2015 Signature Ultra-Lite TT. I'm interested in any advice this forum has to offer. At any rate, it looks like it's gonna cost lots of $$$$ because it's out of the one-year warranty.
VN Warrior1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 03:05 PM   #8
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamadake View Post
I have a 2012 Coachmen Catalina and the black plastic material under one side of the slide out is worn right through to the plywood. I tried putting Gorilla tape over it but it just bunched up after a couple uses. Are there rollers under these units or does the slide just slide on the carpet? Is there a permanent fix for this?

It's only happening on one side. Is there a way to adjust the slide out?

Inside the camper, the pieces under the cabinet which are covered with carpet will come off. The screws (square drive) are buried in the carpet, but not too hard to find. Once you remove this "valance" you will be able to see the gears, the motor, and the rollers at each end. The problem, IIRC, is not caused by the roller, but by some kind of plastic shield in front of the roller. I'm not entirely sure why the shield is there, it does nothing to protect anything. I ended up removing the (white) plastic pieces at each end of the slide a couple years ago. Have not seen any ill effects and no more damage to the liner under the slide.
You don't really want to start adjusting the slide height. If you get it out of square, leaking gaskets will be the least of your worries.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
This has been a problem posted many times over the last few years. Both here and other forums. Cheap material and watch it closely. That material is Darco wrap and IS NOT waterproof. Do a random search on this forum like "slide out underside wearing", etc. There is a fix that is easily done by owners and some owners have used a number of ways to repair that area.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:32 AM   #10
R.J.

Platic runner repair on slide out

I have a 2015 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 5vr and had same issue after year two (past warranty). The interior of mine slides on plastic pieces but not rollers. I ordered two new plastic pieces that could attach to the underside of the slide out from the factory direct (less than $50). I noticed the new plastic was a little thicker and seemed to be better made. Maybe a upgrade due to this issue?

To fix I opened the slider almost all the way. Placed a jack on the outside and lifted about 1/4". I could get the old piece out. Cleaned up the area od debris (only double stick tape). I realized if the factory wasn't careful in stalling the plastic and be totally flat it would flex every time the slide opened and eventually break apart. I could slide the new piece in, determine length (you have to cut it based on your slide out). cut the piece then slide back in. I used a crowbar inside to aid lifting up the slide out inside with the jacks in place outside holding it up. I added some more tape to ensure it was flat and would hold in place. No issues since and no wear on the plastic.
Sibster24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, slide, slide out