Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarsMom2 View Post
I think the same thing would happen it you just used the electric pig-tail to attach the trailer to the pickup. The trailer would use the juice from the truck to pull the slides in. I’m so glad you found the solution.
If the battery is bad plugging into your truck will never be enough to overcome the dead battery.
koller1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #22

Is it possible the seals are frozen.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:41 AM   #23

I had a similar problem with my 2011 Georgetown just over a month ago. We were parked in a hotel parking lot in Monteray, CA and were getting ready to leave when I discovered that I couldn't get the (large) slide to come in. The batteries were fully charged, the generator was running, the converter was putting out power but the slide motor just couldn't pull it in.

A call to FR yielded the slide service manual, sent to me via email. After two careful readings, I concluded that the problem was that the cables, which had been tightened by a service technician at the Goshen rally were too tight, increasing the load on the motor. There's a warning in the manual that if the cables are too tight, it can overload the motor and cause future problems.

I disassembled the trim panels above the slide to get to the cable adjustments and loosened all of the cables a bit. They're still tighter than the manual indicates they should be but the slide now moves easily. Unfortunately, my deep well sockets which would have allowed me to use a power tool to make the adjustments, are at home. The adjustments can be done manually but the nuts can only be adjusted around 1/6 of a turn when using a wrench.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 12:58 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by koller1509 View Post
If the battery is bad plugging into your truck will never be enough to overcome the dead battery.
It may not for you but my deep cell was dead and shot and the tongue jack was down and slides out and I needed to move the trailer so just plugging into my truck everything worked great
bareftn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:12 PM   #25
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncmelsmom View Post
First of all...y'all are soooooo awesome. I was in tears. I was actually looking for hotel rooms, because I was SURE that this wasn't going to be fixed anytime soon.

My knight in shining armor, AKA DH decided to hook the battery to his truck with jumper cables. The 2 slides worked beautifully. He went and bought another battery.

We probably should have unhooked it while it sat this winter.

All is good and we're heading to Gamble Rogers State Park!!! Have you ever had reservations for a spot that you've tried to get for years? This is one of those campgrounds and my dreams of finally camping here were almost shot!

Have a wonderful Sunday!!!

Y
You probably should have.
Some models have a disconnect switch, some don't but when storing for the winter it is best to disconnect a cable(s) at the battery.

There are parasitic draws (radio, control boards, etc.) that will run the battery completely dead in a couple weeks if not disconnected.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareftn View Post
It may not for you but my deep cell was dead and shot and the tongue jack was down and slides out and I needed to move the trailer so just plugging into my truck everything worked great
The same has worked for me with a previous travel trailer.

Bruce

Tags
slide