Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2021, 07:16 PM   #1

Can I Control Hydraulic Slide Pump Sequence?

Hi FR Friends,

Like my sig says, I have a 2020 Cottage 40CCK destination trailer that has three slide outs with hydraulic control and I have a few questions.

This is my first hydraulic controlled unit and unlike my electric controlled 5th wheel that has three separate control switches, my Cottage has just one switch and the slide outs extend and retract in a predictable sequence, one after the other. This is not ideal for me as I would like to control them individually,

My question is: Is this possible? And How?

I'm really stumped in how this works as is. I've attached some pictures of my system if it helps.

It appears mine is manufactured by Lippert Component, Inc.. It has no visible manufacturer or model number on the pump motor itself. There is a set of three Trombetta electric solenoids mounted on top of the pump motor, and a manifold of some sort (no name) with three screw-in knobs in front of the three slide hoses that I assume control the fluid sent to and from the three slide out rams. Behind the pump itself is the reservoir that holds the pump fluid. On the right side is a manual electric rocker switch with a return-to-center dead position and I assume a forward and reverse pump operation when each end is pressed. I tried the switch both ways momentarily, but couldn't tell what was happening.

Any help here?

What is determining the sequence of which slide starts in or out and which slides follow? Is there an electronic controller board somewhere attached to the solenoids that opens and shuts the manifold? If I screw in two of the three manifold knobs will it allow me to control just the remaining slide only?

I've downloaded a couple of Lippert pump repair/replacement manuals but I'm still in the dark about what control I might have with the whole nine yards.

TIA

• Hydraulic Pump from Access Door
  • Pump Solenoids
  • Pump Manifold
  • Manual Switch on side of pump
  • Label on right side of pump reservoir
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LS8-1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	254653   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS8-2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	254654   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS8-3.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	254655   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS8-6.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	254656   Click image for larger version

Name:	LS8-10.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	254657  

SunNRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:21 PM   #2

yes you can manually control the slides. the key is that manifold with the three valves.

with all the manifoild valves open the hydraulic pumps creates pressure and sends it through the manifold and out to the individual hoses to each slide. all slides see the same pressure. the slide that requires the least pressure to move starts to move. when it completes its movement the pressure continues to build and the remaining slide that requires the least pressure then moves. this repeats again as more pressure builds and finally the third slide moves.

now if you close the manifold valve to a specific slide it will not receive pressure from the pump so it will not move. close the valves to two slides and only the one that has the still open valve will move.

hope this helps!
Old 05-16-2021, 12:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
yes you can manually control the slides. the key is that manifold with the three valves.
Thank you. Anybody have any practical experience and know which knobs control which of the slides and if manually closing the valves does anything that leads to any leaking? I'd rather not cause any premature problems with the manifold.

The trailer is stationary and my bedroom slide is within 4" of my lot's city water hookup and a couple more feet to the side of a storage shed. I'd like to move it in to give room for doing initial sewer and city water hookups each season as well as giving room for the guy that waxes the trailer in that tight area.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:09 AM   #4

To expand on CHICKDOE's advice:

Say your valves are (T)op, (M)iddle, and (B)ottom.
Close T & M, "bump" your slide switch and note on B which slide moved.
Close M & B, "bump" your slide switch and note on T which slide moved.
Then mark on M the slide that didn't move.

Full slide deployment isn't required and see no reason why the system would leak.
Old 05-16-2021, 01:56 PM   #5

My experience isn't with RV hydraulics, but based on a former career as a steel bridge repair guy, it's actually a good idea to exercise your hydraulics occasionally to keep the seals around the pistons lubricated. Letting them sit for a long time (months) between uses can dry them out and cause leaks. Our equipment was often exposed to dusty work sites, inclement or hot, dry weather, etc., so likely much worse on the seals than your situation, but I believe that occasional movement is still a good idea.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:08 PM   #6

Solution

As the OP, and in the interest of letting others know what I found, here is how my hydraulic setup works. Refer to the pictures in my original post if needed.

My slide outs both extend and retract in the following sequence when all three of the knobs on my manifold are kept in the default unscrewed (open) positions:
  1. Bedroom
  2. Living Room
  3. Kitchen
Screwing IN ANY of the knobs on my manifold keeps the associated ram for that slide from extending or retracting. My manifold knobs operate the following slides:
  • TOP ------- Bedroom
  • MIDDLE -- Living Room
  • BOTTOM - Kitchen
You can screw in (close) one or two knobs to select only two or one slide being moved. The sequence will be exactly the sequence as in the first list, minus the one or two slide knobs closed (screwed in).

The manual rocker switch shown in the original pictures operates exactly like the annotated rocker switch in the interior control panel.
  • Push and hold top of switch ------ retracts slide(s)
  • Push and hold bottom of switch - extends slide(s)
P.S. The manifold knobs on my rig were hard on my manly hands. Round, thin, knurled edges, and close together. They took a lot of initial pressure to begin turning them in. Not sure if it was because they hadn't been turned before or if it was resistance to the hydraulic pressure in the manifold behind them. They got progressively easier as they closed. Don't give up. Take a break and go for it again when you can feel your fingers again. It's worth it to me.

Thanks.

Tags
hydraulic, pump, slide