Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #1

Cold weather affect slides??

My first year with a fifth wheel, never had this issue with my TT but does cold weather affect the slides? It is like 20 degrees here and I am plugged into my house and the slides moan and grone to go in and out...................they really work hard
lnewsome27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:42 PM   #2

It didn't di it when I winterized it in Fall. All worked fine leading me to believe it has to be temperature related
Old 01-29-2015, 06:51 PM   #3

Electric or hydraulic slides? Electric may run a bit slower if you are running off of 20 amp house service. Hydraulic fluid can be affected by lower temperatures, which would also slow those functions.

Good luck,
Don
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:24 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

Moisture rolled up in the topper and between the seals and walls could freeze and that might make for some trouble.

I like to crack the entry door open when moving my slide. That really displaces a lot of air and having the door (or a vent) open helps. Being cold out, is the trailer all sealed up? Might make a difference.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #5

I just experienced the same exact thing on my TT slide. never did it before. I will try it again when the weather warms up and lube everything underneath. I thought it might be cold seals being a little stiffer but I dunno.
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:21 AM   #6

Rubber seals will be stiff and cause more friction making it motor work more. Slide Lubricants don't work, just like when you start your car in the winter and it whines.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0224 View Post
Rubber seals will be stiff and cause more friction making it motor work more. Slide Lubricants don't work, just like when you start your car in the winter and it whines.
the older I get, the more I whine in cold weather too so I understand...
steveh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 03:38 PM   #8

LOL

That's was funny! I think it can be a combo of all stated, but the hydraulic fluid thickening makes sense to me-just like my diesel when it gets really cold

Tags
slide, slide out