Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2018, 07:13 PM   #41
ENE

yes most RV manufactures ask you to go thru your dealer because they don't sell directly to consumers.
You can find out who was the cabinet manufacturer and see if they would sell to you directly, if not go to a RV dealer and give them the info to order for you.
Never never leave any object out that will get bounced around and fall in between the slides. Even a loose AA battery can cause problems.
I have made straps to go around my furniture so nothing shifts while towing.
I had a cushion from the sofa that popped out and fell between the slide and wall, it got crush when opening the slide, ripped the floor tile and and push the slide wall end cap out.
Now I make sure I still my head in with all the lights on and watch the slides as they go in and out. I use a mirror to watch my bedroom slide around a corner.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:30 PM   #42
Erinn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordHauler View Post
We have all (well, most all) done something embarrassing and or destructive to our units over the years. Some I will not tell on myself, prefer to suffer in silence. You are more forthcoming than I would be, keep enjoying your Sabre until you get the parts to repair it. I have found that the policy to not sell you parts is not cut in stone. Call FR, talk real nice, see what happens.
Whatever you do donít leave it at the dealers until he gets around to the job.
BTW your carpenter friend will use ďreal woodĒ for the repair.
Travel safe
I've called Forest River & talked real nice; it doesn't help - all parts orders must go thru a dealer. Sorry.....
SunseekerFunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:44 PM   #43

Don't feel bad

But do remember to vacuum all the chips and mess up or the slide will catch on the debris and tear your flooring.

We forgot to tie down the cabinet upper door once had it open spicy BBQ sauce bottle fell broke and what a mess and smell between slideout and cabinet all over the carpet we once had.
rayester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:57 PM   #44

Dave Sparks here,see if you have a local cabinet shop. All you have broken is whats called the face frame.looks like mdf with a birch or maple veneer,probably 3/4" thick.have your friend make the frame sand it with 400 sand paper.take a price of your broken frame to a paint store an match the color.stain your frame ,finish with 3 coast of satin lacquer .install time frame an mount the door.job done.enjoy your trip !!! PS I am a cabinet builder a an antique refinisher of over 53 yrs.we pull a 2017 Columbus 42 ft fifth wheel .
Dave Sparks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:10 PM   #45

We had a couple doors that would pop open while driving. It didn't take long before I learned to check the cabinet doors when sliding the sides in and
out.
Lulu2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:56 PM   #46
Hafton5er

I feel for you. We just bought a new Flagstaff fifth wheel and had a cabinet door come open while we were traveling. The cabinet door was on the back wall of the camper behind the slide. When my wife opened the slide at the campground it caught the door. We were lucky and it did not damage the cabinet. I did bend the hinges and stripped a gear in the slide out. I had to physically push the one side of the slide in while my wife pushed the button. We were lucky to only have a $40 repair. Now all of our cabinet doors have child locks on them so they can not pop open. Ultimately, this could have been prevented had Forest River used self-closing hinges on the cabinets.
Hafton5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #47

Have a dealer order the parts and pick them up when you get back, then have your friend do the repairs.
Jholmlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:44 PM   #48

First time out with my first camper, a popup, I forgot to fold down the seat back on the dinette. It was broken off the two cheap hinges, which of course we didn't notice until we set it up again. I looked at it as a good thing because I replaced those two cheap small hinges with one long piano hinge. And never again forgot to fold it down before closing up the camper.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseekersightseeers View Post
I've called Forest River & talked real nice; it doesn't help - all parts orders must go thru a dealer. Sorry.....
I have an AFrame and when the roof actuator went out, they sent me a replacement free of charge under warranty and I replaced it myself.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:59 PM   #50

Looks like a job for some wood glue and clamps to me. Maybe a strip of 1/8 inch plywood down the inside to make it a little stronger then itís not such a reminder until your friend can fix it right
jegstrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:55 AM   #51

We have done this twice on different campers where the door either shook loose or we didnít shut it fully. Both times, my husband made the repairs. It doesnít look perfect but is not noticeable to others. Have your friend fix it! Enjoy you camper!
Dandebkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:50 AM   #52
MCTroy

Been there. We closed an awning with an outside door compartment open. Crunched the frame. Now everyone can see our mistake. Oh well. Go on your trip and add this to a future repair list. You may have other things to get done when you return. Meanwhile, fashion a pretty curtain over the hole like kitchens used to have there.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #53
ENE

I have had the factory send me parts in the mail and I installed myself when it was still under factory warranty.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #54

Did the ssme

On my 352 Georgetown, did the same. One cabinet under the TV was slightly ajar. Didn't notice it. Went to panel to put slide out. Caught the door and broke it right off the hinges. Jammed up the slide. Got 2 new hinges from home depot. Back together like it never happened. Put a sticker on the panel to remind me to check the doors.
gforgot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #55

As a cabinet maker, Iíll say that you will never match the stain/grain of real wood to the mdf paper finish of the cabinets that came in the camper. I would advise you to get the mdf parts from forest river and have a local woodworker install them. Iím all for solid wood face frame construction, but trying to mix and match in a rv will leave you with a less than desirable result. I donít care if somebody claims to be the best cabinet maker in the world. Wood and fake wood finishes just donít match! Jmo
arter368rlbhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 02:40 PM   #56

I did the same thing except it was the bathroom door and it tore the whole wall panel off. If this is the worse thing you do while during your journeys you're doing a lot better than most of us!
g.durica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #57

I did this on my Puma, it had a remote control slide and when closing the slide the bathroom door was open and ripped the dinette bench off. I took the bench apart, nailed it together and you could not tell the difference, only 1 piece of broken wood under the seat that I screwed back in. Did not tell the DW for a couple of months.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 242021 17
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #58

We have a Rockwood 2608ws TT and the rock guard for the front window was damaged in high winds. Called dealer and got the same story that it would take 6 to 8 weeks to get repaired. So I called FR parts dept for my model gave them all the required info and had them send me the parts. Then called my insurance company they came out and recommend a repair place and when I received the parts I took it in got it repaired. The whole process took ten days. The insurance reimbursed me for the parts and paid the repair shop for the repair. Unless something has changed in the couple of years FR sold me parts without going through a dealer.
Joe-Barb
2013 Rockwood 2608ws TT
W013 Ram 2500 4x4 5.7hemi
USAF retired Msgt
Joe-Barb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #59

Thanks everyone, especially those who fessed up to their own version of 'messing up'. It didn't make my mistake any easier to take, but at least I know I'm in good company. Thanks very much for all the suggestions..... it's not fixed yet, but hopefully in the next day or two.

2018 Forest River Sabre (cobalt), 30RLT
2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 4X4 Long Box, 6.0L Vortex
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #60

Have you thought about hanging a small kitchen curtin over the opening?
lindenpa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, slide