Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 12:56 PM   #1

Embarrassing: left cabinet door open while closing slideout

Hi Folks,

I'm a brand new owner of a FR Sabre cobalt, 30RLT. Within days of purchasing our new 5th wheel trailer I was loading some things in the kitchen area and then heading home. I had left one cabinet door open (under sink area) and of course wasn't able to see it from the slide out control panel.

My wife and I wanted to head South, but now it seems that our dealer won't be able to even take a look at the damage for 2-3 weeks, and they have forecast that it will be another 3-4 weeks before they can get the parts in. Finally, only when they get the parts will they be able to schedule us into the shop to do the repairs, and that looks like another 2-3 weeks. Worst case, 10 weeks to get the cabinet repaired.

Does anyone know if it's possible to order the parts myself and do the repairs? I have a dear friend who is a finishing carpenter who would help me, so the real issue is just getting the parts. Any thoughts on how I can go about this?

As a side note, the dealer told me that FR will not send parts to me as an owner. Only the dealer can order the parts. Your thoughts on this?

If anyone has some experience with this, I would appreciate your advice. Additionally, if someone has a contact phone or email address for the parts ordering desk that would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Bruce Williams
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1538.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	188639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1539.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	392.8 KB
ID:	188640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1540.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	188641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1541.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	528.3 KB
ID:	188642  

2018 Forest River Sabre (cobalt), 30RLT
2011 GMC Sierra 3500 HD 4X4 Long Box, 6.0L Vortex
WhiteEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteEagle View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm a brand new owner of a FR Sabre cobalt, 30RLT. Within days of purchasing our new 5th wheel trailer I was loading some things in the kitchen area and then heading home. I had left one cabinet door open (under sink area) and of course wasn't able to see it from the slide out control panel.

My wife and I wanted to head South, but now it seems that our dealer won't be able to even take a look at the damage for 2-3 weeks, and they have forecast that it will be another 3-4 weeks before they can get the parts in. Finally, only when they get the parts will they be able to schedule us into the shop to do the repairs, and that looks like another 2-3 weeks. Worst case, 10 weeks to get the cabinet repaired.

Does anyone know if it's possible to order the parts myself and do the repairs? I have a dear friend who is a finishing carpenter who would help me, so the real issue is just getting the parts. Any thoughts on how I can go about this?

As a side note, the dealer told me that FR will not send parts to me as an owner. Only the dealer can order the parts. Your thoughts on this?

If anyone has some experience with this, I would appreciate your advice. Additionally, if someone has a contact phone or email address for the parts ordering desk that would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Bruce Williams
I would have have them look at it and order the parts. The enjoy your rv as normal until the parts come in. I know it is hard to look at while you are trying to have fun but what the hell we all make mistakes. That wouldn't keep me from using it.
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #3

If your friend is finish carpenter why not just have him build you a new face, in the picture it looks like the door is not broken.
wildcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 01:48 PM   #4

Use it! The broken cabinet won’t affect being able to use it. Yeah, you’ll be reminded of what you did every time you look at it, but if that’s the worst that happens, you’re in good shape.
Jfkmk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Site Team

I would not let that keep me from going on a trip. Just use on less cabinet. Not ideal, but will not spoil your trip.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

Thanks for all the replies today! It was nice to see that nobody beat me up for being a complete dufus! I'm beating myself up enough as it is....

Old 10-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #7

We have all (well, most all) done something embarrassing and or destructive to our units over the years. Some I will not tell on myself, prefer to suffer in silence. You are more forthcoming than I would be, keep enjoying your Sabre until you get the parts to repair it. I have found that the policy to not sell you parts is not cut in stone. Call FR, talk real nice, see what happens.
Whatever you do don’t leave it at the dealers until he gets around to the job.
BTW your carpenter friend will use “real wood” for the repair.
Travel safe

I Catch Fish......What is your SuperPower?
FordHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies today! It was nice to see that nobody beat me up for being a complete dufus! I'm beating myself up enough as it is....
[emoji106]
robbiels7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

We've all made mistakes.
Clean up the mess and head out.
Dont let this little blip stop you.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #10
D W

That type of damage happens more than you think. You're not alone. If you have a finish carpenter for a friend I would solicit his services for the repairs. It'll get repaired faster, and cheaper than at the dealer, plus you'll get a quality repair with real wood.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:31 PM   #11
Site Team

You can also use an independent RV shop or mobile RV tech to fix it. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Hi Folks,

Kind regards,

Bruce Williams
Hey you're not the first nor the last that will make mistakes. I was moving my living room slide out once and the cabinet door below the entertainment center opened it's self. Crunch went the door, undamaged but torn from the hinges. Luckily it was an easy fix.

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Retirement life........
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:30 AM   #13
ysidive

Cabinet Door Ripped Off

Just so you don't feel alone, I will let you know of my stupidity and dumb mistake... Returned from a great 12 day trip with no incidents to only ruin it while trying to put my slide out. Set the level on trailer, connected power and proceeded to deploy my slide out... While the slide was going out it suddenly started to bind on one side... Stopped and returned the slide to the in position only to find that it would not return all the way... Found that a cabinet door from the entertainment center had popped open while traveling and was the cause of the slide stoppage.. Long story short bent some of the support mechanism on the slide and it now has to be repaired... I can live with the cabinet damage, but the travel trailer cannot be used because the slide will not fully extend...Another item to put on the check list before putting the slide out... We all make sure that the slide area is clear before pulling the slide in, but you must look in between the slide and the entertainment center before putting the slide out.... My mistake, so it will cost me $$$ and time lost of use ..
Days Camping 2022 Not Enough
ysidive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:36 AM   #14

That doesnt look too bad. Your friend being a carpenter should be able to fix with standard 1x4. Just have to stain it to match. I wouldnt be concerned about it.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #15

I would call FR tech support and talk to them directly. If you are doing the repairs yourself I don't see why they wouldn't sell you the parts. As far as a DIY, I have done woodwork and I don't think you can get regular wood stained to match. If you don't mind a mismatch go for it.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysidive View Post
Just so you don't feel alone, I will let you know of my stupidity and dumb mistake... Returned from a great 12 day trip with no incidents to only ruin it while trying to put my slide out. Set the level on trailer, connected power and proceeded to deploy my slide out... While the slide was going out it suddenly started to bind on one side... Stopped and returned the slide to the in position only to find that it would not return all the way... Found that a cabinet door from the entertainment center had popped open while traveling and was the cause of the slide stoppage.. Long story short bent some of the support mechanism on the slide and it now has to be repaired... I can live with the cabinet damage, but the travel trailer cannot be used because the slide will not fully extend...Another item to put on the check list before putting the slide out... We all make sure that the slide area is clear before pulling the slide in, but you must look in between the slide and the entertainment center before putting the slide out.... My mistake, so it will cost me $$$ and time lost of use ..
Ouch! I feel your pain!

Thanks for sharing this as it may help others (myself included) from having the same experience. In fact, over the past few days I have been thinking that extending the slideouts might be a problem as well. What I'm planning is to create a checklist for preparing to move, and preparing to stay somewhere. As a pilot I love my checklists, and this seems to be one case where they might be applicable (okay, petting the dog doesn't require a checklist).

Old 10-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

I have a black bungee cord from the handle of the top left cabinet across the TV to the cabinet handle on the other side of the TV in case the TV became unhooked and crashed into the closed slide out shattering it.

Your experience will make me add a second one across the two bottom cabinets to keep those doors shut when traveling now!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #18

'White Eagle'....

FWIW.... I'm a (retired) finish carpenter, to repair the damaged frame and stiles would be easy-peazy for any finish carpenter or someone with wood skills and tools.

It would be better and stronger than factory !

Using solid wood and a matching stain... and you're on your way.

Good Luck

Islander
PS...went back to look at your pictures... I would use poplar wood...it takes stain well and will match perfectly. The Hardest part of the job will be matching the stain...I suggest going to a wood trim supplier that sells stain for floors...they usually have a vast variety of stain colors and finishes.
Edge programmer, 4" SS exhaust turbo/back,
Tru-Cool Max Trans Cooler, Bilstein Shocks
Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #19

Face frame repair /replacement for a finish carpenter should be doable, stain match to "Paper Wood "will be a bigger issue! Door is fine so when he is hanging the door Home Depot has matching hinges that are "Self Closing ",when our Hidden Entertainment Door "opened without us knowing before deploying the slide'we had the same "Door on the Floor" as you! Youroo! ! No Forest River parts needed for our repair!
Old 10-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #20

Youroo, great suggestion! I like the idea of self closing hinges and will head over to Home Desperate later today.

Tags
door, slide