Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #41

Now we just have to get the word out to everyone who was convinced they could throw their slide locks away!
Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

Lou is a great teacher and has the documentation to support it rather than just offering an opinion. My hat is off to you Lou.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:00 AM   #43
Denver, CO

Okay so how do we know if we are supposed to have them? Maybe the dealer threw mne away. We need a list of what campers have what mechanism and which ones need the sticks. My previous non FR camper was a quad slde and I had 8 of them and was told not to use them. My VCross has none.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #44
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Okay so how do we know if we are supposed to have them?
A phone call to FR is perhaps the easiest; short of crawling underneath and seeing what kind you have. I believe the hydraulic/electric ones also need the transit bars; but don't quote me.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Okay so how do we know if we are supposed to have them? Maybe the dealer threw mne away. We need a list of what campers have what mechanism and which ones need the sticks. My previous non FR camper was a quad slde and I had 8 of them and was told not to use them. My VCross has none.
If you push on the top of the slide, and it moves out from the side of the camper, I would say that a slide lock would be a good idea. If it seems solid, then probably not.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #46
Phat Phrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

A phone call to FR is perhaps the easiest; short of crawling underneath and seeing what kind you have. I believe the hydraulic/electric ones also need the transit bars; but don't quote me.
Our TH did not come with them, but I just told my DH about this.....he is going to make me some too! All I need to worry about is the slide popping out!
Old 07-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #47
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
One of the big misconceptions is that the brace somehow restrains the slide.

It does not.

The brace puts pressure on the spring loaded pinion to keep it in contact with the rack at all times. Without the brace, the teeth of the pinion can skip out of the rack under a sharp load (or even break off). The clutch in the motorized gearbox is not sufficient to hold the slide if it starts moving.

Read the Lippert flyer on replacing the spring loaded pinion gear.
Lou,

If you are refering to the pdf you attached above, that slide mechanism was per the instructions for slide mechanisms built before 11/22/2004. The mechanisms on my slides are in captured tubes if you look closely at the pics in the slide out manual and as near as I can see it would take an act of god to make the new style slip. Could it happen? Of course it could but I would not say it is a doom and gloom scenario but as near as I can see making it happen by hitting a large bump is next to impossible given how the slide rails move inside those tubes. The old style rode on top of the mechanism and there may be a possibility of bounce on the gear train.
FWIW mine are made like the one on page 12 with the drive tube between the 2 rails.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Old 07-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
If you are refering to the pdf you attached above, that slide mechanism was per the instructions for slide mechanisms built before 11/22/2004..
The first pdf file is for the newer campers, and is what my Flagstaff has.
Note that the instructions say, more than once, to install the slide locks, both for travel, AND WHILE IN STORAGE.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #49

I have a red tag over the slider switch reminding me to double check the bathroom door is closed before retracting. I love carpentry but hated having to repair a bunch of trim work recently.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #50
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
The first pdf file is for the newer campers, and is what my Flagstaff has.
Note that the instructions say, more than once, to install the slide locks, both for travel, AND WHILE IN STORAGE.

I was actually refering to this statement

"Read the Lippert flyer on replacing the spring loaded pinion gear."

and that is actually the second pdf and has nothing to do with modern slide mechanisms.

And if you actually read what I said, I was not for or against the locks. I was just setting the record straight. Everyone will do what they feel is the right for them regardless of anyone preaching to them. Yes on the first page I backed what OC stated as that is how my slides work and I would be real interested in seeing someone get them to move without breaking something because for the top to be able to move at all on mine the bottom needs to move out at the very minimum 2" and maybe even more. I will also say that unless you have seen how they actually are moving most people probably cannot visualize it. Also if the clutch or motor were to fail the slide would drop out at the bottom and given the weight, the top would rotate in and down thus releasing any pressure you had put on the bars and they would in all likelyhood fall down on top of the slide thus allowing the slide to start moving out and probably tearing off the inner trim or ripping the seal as the slide moved out so what would I gain. Now if your slide exerts no pressure on the upper seal when it retracts (as in come in straight or has lifted at the start of it's travel vs the end) then there would be no pressure on the upper seal to hold it in any scenario and the locks would work as most seem to think they would.

With all that said, I need to check my bedroom slide and see if it travels the same because if it does not then I will probably use the lock on it, just need to figure out some sort of interlock to prevent damage from being absent minded.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Old 07-10-2013, 09:05 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Yes on the first page I backed what OC stated as that is how my slides work and I would be real interested in seeing someone get them to move without breaking something because for the top to be able to move at all on mine the bottom needs to move out at the very minimum 2" and maybe even more. .
Mine works that way as well, with the top of the slide contacting the camper wall first, with the bottom then tightening up. But notwithstanding that fact, I can rock the slide out if I push on the top.

Have you actually tried pushing on yours? If yours is tight, that is good.
I am only stating what I am experiencing. As we all know very well, not everyone's camper is put together the same.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #52
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERmit View Post
Well ours didn't come with any sticks for the slides.
My slide bars were in the big drawer underneath the couch, along with the emergency crank handles and countertop extension.

Being both of our trailers came from the same dealer, they may have put yours there too....if you have a drawer underneath your couch.

I always have to wiggle that drawer front just right to get it to pull out, without the whole front of the drawer becoming disconnected.
Attached Images

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #53
Love My Sunseeker

Oh my gawd. I see this issue is a passionate hornet's nest with people. But I still want to know why only THREE and not FOUR! Can SOMEONE from FR come on here and explain why they think only THREE are ok and not FOUR?

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #54

Just a passing thought. Has anyone ever witnessed or heard tell of a slide coming out on the highway? For the record, I have not. Another thought: Has anyone experienced any damage from the "sticks"? I think the title of this thread answers that question. Just saying.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #55
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
Oh my gawd. I see this issue is a passionate hornet's nest with people. But I still want to know why only THREE and not FOUR! Can SOMEONE from FR come on here and explain why they think only THREE are ok and not FOUR?
Can you tell us the length of your slides? Might give us a clue.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #56

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I agree there should be an Aluminum angle. On the TT I traded the trim was too weak to hold anything. They should have a cup type bracket that a ball on the end of the lock fits into. When they build the slide it would be no big deal to add these to the frame.

Brian
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugged Brown View Post
Has anyone experienced any damage from the "sticks"? I think the title of this thread answers that question. Just saying.

The damage was caused by human error, not the slide locks.
If you forgot to raise your landing gear on your camper and drove away, would you blame the landing gear for the damage?
Just saying.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
The damage was caused by human error, not the slide locks.
If you forgot to raise your landing gear on your camper and drove away, would you blame the landing gear for the damage?
Just saying.
No, I would blame the wife.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Old 07-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #59

used mine to steady my mailbox during the rainy season here in florida by driving them into the ground around the post but never in the Rv
Old 07-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #60

My dealer told me to never use them. He had never heard of a slide coming out unintentionally and has seen the damage they do if left in.
4WD SRW Diesel
Closed Thread