Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #1

Forest River Slide Out

Site team note: Posts split out from another thread.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DC58B8BE-0B40-40C8-A101-E7A8F8F24B3D.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	227624

[ATTACH]227625[/ATTACH

Attached are pics of what I think might be where I can manually crank the slide in or out. The problem is the crank I have does not fit over the large pin with a hole. I’m wondering if I could use another tool? Anyway can anyone tell me if this is where I would manually bring the slide in or out?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A9CC91FC-126C-4411-A44D-C879CC04B94B.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	227625  
Lakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #2

Slide out

Thank you for the response and please forgive my ignorance but I thought my large slide out was electric motor driven not hydraulic?
Old 04-25-2020, 12:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeman View Post
Attachment 227624

[ATTACH]227625[/ATTACH

Attached are pics of what I think might be where I can manually crank the slide in or out. The problem is the crank I have does not fit over the large pin with a hole. I’m wondering if I could use another tool? Anyway can anyone tell me if this is where I would manually bring the slide in or out?
I believe I have a similar type of mechanism on my TT which uses an electric motor not hydraulic pump to extend/retract the slide. On my 5th which is a hydraulic system you need the hydraulic pump and tank to run the slides in/out, which means you need a reservoir to pump fluid into the lines when extending them or to allow fluid out of the lines when retracting them. The OP took off the reservoir, so I think he is dead in the water till gets it back on. He may be able to manually push them out, which probably will introduce a lot of air and possibly contamination in the lines.

2018 Cedar Creek 36CK2 (40.5ft)
TST Cap System (Tire Monitoring)
2021 Chevy 3500HD Crew Cab 4X4 DRW Duramax (replaced 2015 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab 4X4 Duramax)
Curt A25 5th Wheel Hitch (replaced Demco 18K Auto-slide)
LittleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #4

Forest river slide

Now that we have established my large slide out is electric motor driven can anyone tell me how I can slide in and out manually? I have attached a pic of what the area looks like under the slide.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6525719F-9C42-4735-A64E-06832996B401.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	392.4 KB
ID:	227633  
Old 04-25-2020, 01:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeman View Post
Attachment 227624

[ATTACH]227625[/ATTACH

Yes, I have a similar system. The fitting in the second picture as I recall is the crank for your slide out. There should be a crank handle that slides onto that fitting that has a pin in it that fits into the slot enabling you to crank it similar to a tire jack. I haven't had to use mine, but, the TT did come with a crank. There should be a hole on the side of your TT that would let you put the crank handle through it and slide it onto the fitting. If you find the hole and it sites down to the crank fitting, that is probably the correct fitting. I have heard of some people using a portable drill with something that would fit and allow you to run it out or in during an emergency. That should be completely mechanical/electric. For the OP, I think LittleBill is right. He has to fix the pump first. If it is just an O-ring, he should be able to get that at the hardware store or Harbor Freight. He must also find out what hydraulic fluid was used and replace it with the same type, otherwise it may not chemically match and could ruin the pump. When reassembling, make sure there are no burrs to cut the O-ring and cause another leak.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:51 PM   #6

Forest river manual slide out

Thanks for the help. It appears from all the YouTube info and Forest river forum if I do have a problem with my large slide out I will have to peel off part of the undercarriage to get to the motor.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
Just as confused as you

The picture in Lakeman's post #11 looks as it is a Lippert Electric-Through-Frame-Slide-Out. Lippert makes several types of slides and unless you have the build sheet the only way to tell which one you have is to compare the pictures in the manuals to what you can see by looking at the mechanicals under the slide-out. Though more pictures will help.
https://support.lci1.com/slide-outs/ > List View tab shows enough detail to get you started.

There are several manuals in the Library section of this forum.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote