Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 08:20 PM   #1
Forester 3051S 2015

Forester 3051S slide motor short circuit error 8 conundrum

Our Forester 3051S (2015) slide room stopped retracting normally during a final stopover on our return journey from Mexico in January. The Lippert control panel is type 13398-C2. Error message 8: "wire short between controller and motor" for motor #2 (front).

I can use the electronic override setting to open and close the slide fully, so the motors appear to be OK and the slide travels in or out to its full extension (and closure) easily and evenly both sides. Operated normally (without electronic override), each motor travels an inch or less and stops, whether going in or out.

I've read the 'Schwintek In-Wall™ Slideout System Operation and Service Manual' cover to cover, and watched a handful of YouTube videos on the subject, without finding a solution to my particular problem.

What have I done so far in an attempt to solve the problem?

1. I pulled aside the vertical seals at each motor to inspect each wire harness for pinching or damage that might possibly cause an electrical short. No obvious signs of it;

2. I've inspected the cables from each motor to the control panel (as far as I can without pulling apart the cabin). Other than close to the motors there are no obvious places where the harness could get pinched;

3. I've checked for seals or debris caught in the slide tracks, and for jammed or too freely-rotating (non weight bearing) rollers below the slide room. I found none of the possible issues that might obstruct free sliding in or out;

What I haven't attempted so far:

4. I haven't tried to lift out either motor to inspect the harness for each (there are a few YouTube horror stories on that subject)

5. I haven't run a temporary or replacement harness between the controller to either motor, to establish whether a short circuit actually exists;

6. I haven't increased the stall force on the controller, since the room slides out and back easily enough under electronic override, and the error message points to a short circuit anyway.

What I'm hoping for is an 'aha' moment from someone out there, before dismantling anything further. Obviously I don't want to carry on using electronic override until I've identified the true problem. If the controller is the problem, that's easily replaced at a cost, but I want to be sure I haven't overlooked anything, first.

If anyone out there has had the same issue and resolved it, I would be grateful for your advice.

Another note:

Lippert's / Schwintek's Operation and Service manual for this controller states: "When an error code is present, the board needs to be reset. Energizing the extend/retract switch resets the board."

I'm wondering whether there's another way (insider trick/secret handshake) to reset the controller, in case my controller just had a bad hair day and can't forget it even when depowered.

Many thanks fellow campers!
BMW R1200 GS Adventure (2008)

Namutony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
Site Team

I think the first thing I would do is swap the motor connectors on the controller to see if the error swaps sides.

You could also temporarily replace the motor cable to see if the error goes away.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #3

My friend has a 2019 Thor Windsport, just had the same error on his slide. His is the newest controller, has a reset button on the controller. Pressed button six times, on seventh press, held button in until red and green lights started flashing, released button, waited until they stopped, error lights were now out and slide worked.
2017 Ford Fiesta toad
Bill and Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:39 AM   #4
Commercial Member

We use a similar system and many times, low voltage can trigger various faults. Not sure if you have the same switch set up (with the light on the switch) but if it is the same, there is a Dynamax video where we show you how to clear the fault (make sure everything is fully charged up) and how to reset if that does not work.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:05 PM   #5
Forester 3051S 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Gail View Post
My friend has a 2019 Thor Windsport, just had the same error on his slide. His is the newest controller, has a reset button on the controller. Pressed button six times, on seventh press, held button in until red and green lights started flashing, released button, waited until they stopped, error lights were now out and slide worked.
Many thanks Bill and Gail. The '6 press + hold on 7th' as described is Lippert's standard procedure for an 'emergency' electronic override to bring the slide in, or out. It works every time on our unit, but I've used it sparingly, as I prefer to identify the underlying fault. If there really is a short in the motor harness, it could ultimately lead to an electrical arc / fire and unwelcome damage to follow. I'll keep the forum updated as soon as I make progress with the search.
BMW R1200 GS Adventure (2008)

Namutony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
305, forester, slide