Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #1

FR3 30DS Motorhome slide-out randomly operating

For the last day or so I have watched in amazement as my 2019 FR3 30DS (brand new) bedroom slide-out does it's own thing and when fully retracted, decides to extend all the way with no human interaction. Once extended it is stable and doesn't try to retract or cycle in-out. I retract it by pressing the button...then a few minutes later it unilaterally extends! Sometimes it extends every couple of seconds, extend, pause, extend. All while I watch the panel as if being operated by a ghost!

Has anyone seen this and if so - any ideas on what is causing it? I imagine it could be one of 1000 things as these things are chock full of relays, switches, motors and so on.

Also does anyone know how I can manually retract the slide outs on an FR3? In case I'm camping and have an issue with the electronics.

Cheers

Malcolm
d2mrp0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:36 PM   #2

FR3 30DS Motorhome slide-out randomly operating

Meanwhile somewhere nearby...
The darndest thing keeps happening, we are sitting in our Fr3 motorhome when all of a sudden out of nowhere our slide out starts retracting all by itself, we felt like that scene in Starwars where Luke and crew are stuck in the garbage compactor. Well once we managed to escape we grabbed the remote and extended the slide back out. After a few seconds it did it again! This has continued multiple times and it doesn’t seem to matter if I extend it all at once or a few inches at a time... it is the most bizarre thing [emoji2957]
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:02 PM   #3

Wow!

Same problem and I loved the Star Wars analogy!

That must have freaked you out.. I will let you know once I figure this out - sounds like we have a similar problem maybe something related to the FR3.

Thanks, now I don’t feel alone ��
Old 07-11-2019, 11:33 PM   #4

Sorry my friend, that was meant to be a joke... that somehow the two RVs got linked so you closing yours closed the nearby one... all the things were the reverse of what you were doing.
Daxinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
Commercial Member

d2mrp0,

Thank you for being a part of the FR3 family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new FR3. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Nicholas Hoover in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...85231288932583.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #6

Thanks for the response and link. I will definitely contact them now because this is a strange one and am worried about it opening while I am driving and hurting or killing someone or us.

Regards,

Malcolm
Old 07-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxinarian View Post
Sorry my friend, that was meant to be a joke... that somehow the two RVs got linked so you closing yours closed the nearby one... all the things were the reverse of what you were doing.
Sorry now I get it! And what a good one it is

For a moment I thought we were on to something! Very strange all the same.

Cheers

Malcolm
Old 07-12-2019, 01:03 PM   #8

Us too!

We were sitting at our dinette and our slide started retracting all by itself. Weirdest experience ever! We were able to leave it retracted and contacted our Dynamax rep the next day. He walked us through the reset for our unit and no problems since.
Bethymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethymae View Post
We were sitting at our dinette and our slide started retracting all by itself. Weirdest experience ever! We were able to leave it retracted and contacted our Dynamax rep the next day. He walked us through the reset for our unit and no problems since.
Glad to hear! So I opened a case with FR support and they called me (immediately) and are working with their partner (LCI who make the slide out motors) to remedy this.

Apparently there are around a dozen customers with similar issue and it requires a complete switch out of the motor control modules for both slide outs, and both of the controllers (the little modules on the status/control panel). Could not ask for a better response. I will keep you posted once we switch out these modules.

Malcolm
Old 07-12-2019, 01:53 PM   #10

I like simple things. On/Off switches rather than "Control Modules".

Convenience? Certainly but more chance of "gremlins".

If it were my unit I'd have a switch installed in the power feed to the motors that I could make sure the motors received no power, regardless of what any module did, when slide is either in or out. Switch it back on when ready to move slide.

In our quest to automate or operate things from a remote control it requires more complex equipment. Any failure in that equipment often means larger repair bills.

What's wrong with a simple On/Off --- In/Out switch?

Besides, my experience with Remotes has been it's either lost in a crevice on a couch/recliner or the battery is dead with replacement batteries miles away.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I like simple things. On/Off switches rather than "Control Modules".

Convenience? Certainly but more chance of "gremlins".

If it were my unit I'd have a switch installed in the power feed to the motors that I could make sure the motors received no power, regardless of what any module did, when slide is either in or out. Switch it back on when ready to move slide.

In our quest to automate or operate things from a remote control it requires more complex equipment. Any failure in that equipment often means larger repair bills.

What's wrong with a simple On/Off --- In/Out switch?

Besides, my experience with Remotes has been it's either lost in a crevice on a couch/recliner or the battery is dead with replacement batteries miles away.

I like it! Let's design it....I bet it would be easy too - those "modules" have a 12v hot wire this could be a piece of cake.

cheers!
Old 07-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2mrp0 View Post
I like it! Let's design it....I bet it would be easy too - those "modules" have a 12v hot wire this could be a piece of cake.

cheers!
I wouldn't disable the module, just cut the power to the motor itself, only allowing power to flow when YOU want it to. Find the fuse for the motor(s) and add a switch to that wire. Lots of them have fuses inline, not in the power panel but as always, depends on the unit.

Maybe even change the fuse to an Aircraft type Circuit breaker. Pull out to open and disable motor(s), press in to allow motor operation.

They look like this and are designed to function as a switch as well as circuit breaker:

If you want to control the motor power (only) from any distance just add a relay close to the motor inline fuse and use smaller wire to connect with a switch in a more convenient location.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #13

Impressed with service response

We are contemplating a purchase of an FR3. The quick response you got is certainly making me feel better about that possibility. We have a FR travel trailer and our service center offers phenomenal service also.
PatP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatP View Post
We are contemplating a purchase of an FR3. The quick response you got is certainly making me feel better about that possibility. We have a FR travel trailer and our service center offers phenomenal service also.
Once you are through the sales process, the inevitable sales gouging, then you can really enjoy it. We got ours in Nov 2018 and it sat covered, winterized, until June 2019. We have done two trips so far and we love it. We used to tow a trailer and this is light years ahead of that. WAY EASIER and just like driving a car IMO. The convenience of a motorhome, being able to park easily, having bags of space to store stuff, really comfortable king size bed, 2 air conditioners (three if you count the one in the drivers cockpit), not having to stop every hour for gas - all of this contributes to a more enjoyable less hassle trip. We would buy our FR3 again, no question.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES_FR View Post
d2mrp0,

Thank you for being a part of the FR3 family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new FR3. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Nicholas Hoover in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...85231288932583.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River

Thank you SO MUCH Forest River for the exceptional service and support throughout my problem with the FR3 slide-outs - all issues are fixed and I honesty could not imagine anything else that you could have done for me.

My wife and I were very impressed at the high level of expertise and incredible communication. Sam Weidner, Jr., Southeast Region was an amazing person to work with - he coordinated all work and made sure everything was 100% right. Bill Sauer, Lippert Components was also incredible. Continuous communication, organizing and coordinating all the repair work which boiled down to replacing both control modules (IN, OUT push panel) and the 2 control modules that sit under the slide outs and control the motors.

This is what you call a great customer experience!!! Cannot thank you guys enough.

Sincerely,

Malcolm Palin

Tags
fr3, motorhome, slide