Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #1

GeoPro Slide Gap

This seems to be a common question, but I have about a 1/2" gap between the gasket and the bottom of my slide when closed. The gasket is compressed at the top and on the bottom of the opposite side. This is my first trailer with a slide, so I'm not sure if this is normal. I'm wondering if I should have the dealer look at it before my warranty expires. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0252.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	512.4 KB
ID:	255955  
Old 06-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #2

Get it looked at by the dealer under warranty. The bottom gear may have skipped a tooth on that rack.

Also be sure to keep the Schwintek slide gear racks lubricated with a dry silicone lubricant with PTFE.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:12 AM   #3

Thanks for the feedback! I'll setup an appointment with the dealer to have it looked at.

I'll also pick up some dry lubricant for the gear racks. How frequently does this need to be done?
Old 06-03-2021, 09:55 AM   #4

Most recommendations are to lubricate every 90 days. I'm taking my trailer to a dealer 300 miles away for the exact same problem in two weeks. My slide has always popped and groaned going in and out and the dealer said that was normal. Then it made two really loud pops once when finishing the stroke coming in and it developed that same gap as yours. Since I lubed it, it moves in and out smoothly. They apparently don't lubricate them at the factory or the dealer during PDI. The dealer will have to actually remove the slide mechanism to fix the gap. It's a process that takes 2-3 hours. They will also inspect the internal mechanism at that time to see if there is any damage to the gears. If there is, plan on having to make a return trip to the dealer after they get the parts under warranty from the manufacturer.

The slide mechanism comes out by removing all the screws on that side's exterior gasket/trim piece and cutting the bead of sealant there (with the slide room about 3/4 of the way out and supported by jacks). That trim piece is the actual slide mechanism itself. Then they "hotwire" the motor and instead of moving the slide room, the mechanism moves itself outward along the slide tracks.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:18 AM   #5

That sounds like an involved process! I'm hoping my dealer can squeeze me in, but I've heard their service department is really backed up.

As far as lube goes, sounds like it needs to be done 2-3 times per season. Doesn't sound too bad. Camping this weekend, but I'll give it a try when I get back.

Tags
slide