Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2020, 05:46 PM   #1

Heads Up - SchwinTek Drive Failure on 2017 SunSeeker 2500TS

I am posting this to alert other RV'ers with Schwintek slide mechanisms in their RV or TT to be aware of an unseen problem which could lead to issues on the road.
We love our Sunseeker, it has all the attributes that my better half and I need to RV across the continent. However, three years into ownership with only 35,000 kilometres on the vehicle, we are running into a series of mechanical and electrical failures that are simple, yet bothersome and disappinting. The most serious and surprising of these is the wardrobe slide mechanism, a SchwinTek slider.
Following a slide failure on our rig, when we got home, I took the mechanism apart. As per many YouTube videos I reviewed, the mechanism was simple, but in a tight spot, to pull apart. However, when correcting what I thought was the problem, I discovered a more insidious issue: the drive shafts that drive the gears which engage the gear plates on the sides of the wardrobe had shifted downward and were no longer engaged in the coupler. A less handy RV'er might not notice the drop, and, had I not, I was facing a minimum $1500 quote from our local Sunseeker dealer for repairs. Using a long solid screw driver, I levered the shaft upward while in place, and restored the connection within the collar connecting shaft to the motor.
I am surprised that these shafts appear to be a force fit, rather than are deployed using a more secure method to prevent this type of failure. However, a periodic review of the mechanisms (which can be made from the outside of each slide-out behind the weather gasket) to check for any drop, and repaired quickly to prevent road issues.
Brian Bredewold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. could some sort of thrust bushing be applied to stop the drop?
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #3

SchwinTek Drive Issue

Thanks, Seadog, good idea. I will investigate securing a thrust bushing under each slide out drive shaft, in the off chance that any one of the drive shafts can slide!
Old 01-02-2022, 01:24 PM   #4

Heads Up - SchwinTek Drive Failure on 2017 SunSeeker 2500TS

Hi everyone! In the fall of 202 I posted a 'Heads up' discussion on the drive shaft of the SCHWINN-TEK slide-out system failure; over time and use the drive shaft 'slid' down through the mechanism drive gears and disconnected from the motor coupling. This resulted in the slide-out becoming immobile. Having resolved the issue by pushing the shaft back up into the motor coupler of the drive system (AFTER taking the interior trim and assorted bracing of the slide-out ) I posted, and received a recommendation from Seadog regarding a thrust bearing. Here is how I built a basic solution.
I cut some pieces of hardwood to snugly fit the existing space under each shaft (approximately 1.5" x 1.5" x 3/4' thick). I then cut off enough of the threaded portion of a 3/8" flat head carriage bolt (the head had a 3/4" diameter flat top) to fit the wood blocks without protruding beyond the wood. Measuring the location of the centre of the drive shaft, I drilled a hole in each block and inserted the now short bolts into the block, and placed the block under the drive shaft in each pushout! There is approximately 1/8" gap between the top of the bolt and the bottom of the shaft, but the drive shaft interconnect collar has a 3/4" insertion of drive shaft into it; if it moves, it will only be a short drop.
I have attached 4 pics of my solution!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schwinntek 1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	291.4 KB
ID:	267299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schwinntek 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	267300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schwinntek 3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	267301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schwinntek 4.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	267302  
Old 01-02-2022, 01:37 PM   #5

looks to be a nice solution.

You could also maybe use these and not have to do a lot of custom cutting of the bolt.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Hillman-1-4...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 01-02-2022, 01:44 PM   #6

Heads Up - SchwinTek Drive Failure on 2017 SunSeeker 2500T

Thanks, KRedburn! These look great: I used what I had on hand, being a cost-conscious and McGivering camper...

Tags
500, sunseeker