Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2022, 06:35 PM   #1

Help hydraulic fluid frozen?

I was going to put the slides in today on my 2010 Coachmen Northridge 5ver before the snow started. They wouldn't move. Plenty of battery power and the motor was trying, but not a budge. I checked in the pin box compartment and it looks like the hydraulic fluid had separated and froze on top. We put transmission fluid in it after calling Lipert last year. That was what we were told to use. I never heard of it freezing though. It's not even that cold here in Virginia. In the teens at the lowest. Mostly been above 30 every day at least partly.

Has anyone over heard of this? What can I do besides run my furnace and get some heat in the pin box compartment? Will this even do it?

I am ok for now, not an immediate issue except for slides being out in 5 - 12 inches of snow. However, we are going to Louisiana in February and if they freeze up then, it could be a problem.

How come the transmission fluid doesn't freeze in our cars and trucks?
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:00 PM   #2

I have never heard of hydraulic fluid freezing unless you somehow got condensation in the lines or tank. I think I would use a heat gun or hair dryer and heat things up and if that works once the slides are in I would change out the fluid.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 07:02 PM   #3
Who Dares, Wins

I don't know this but is the original hydraulic fluid or current trans fluid hydrophilic? If it is itight have attracted water into the fluid? I know things like brake fluid are so was not sure...

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 11:18 PM   #4

I have no idea. Slides got ice on top in the storm. Got the fluid thawed and eventually the slides de- iced. They are all in now. I just need to get the fluid changed out before our trip in a couple of weeks.

Is this an easy process? What is involved. Is there fluid in the lines or should most of it be in the Reservoir when the slides are in?
dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:35 AM   #5

I certainly sounds like your fluid got contaminated with water somehow.

With the slides in and the jacks up most of the fluid will be in the reservoir. Changing the fluid is not complicated, just suck out what is in there then put in new. The problem is usually finding a way to suck out the old fluid without making a mess with it. Even doing this, you will probably still have a little bit of water in there so you may need to change the fluid, cycle all of your hydraulics a couple of times then let it sit for a day and check to see if any water has separated out. It is possible you will need to change it a couple of times to get it flushed out good.
2022 F150 Powerboost Hybrid.
DougW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic