Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2020, 06:52 PM   #1

Help with a Schwintek slideout

Doing my spring shake down on the RV I discovered the slideout doesn't work. Or rather, half of it doesn't work. That pretty much tells me it's either the motor or the wiring to it. It is a Schwintek in wall system. The problem is that you have to get to the motor from the outside and the slideout has to be extended. You can manually disconnect the motors and physically move the slideout, but in order to do that, you have to get to the motor, which can't be done with the slideout in. There are all kinds of videos on how to get the slideout in if it quits working, but none on how to get the slideout OUT if it doesn't work. I can fix it if I can get at it. Any tips?
mharrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Site Team

Have you tried overriding the control board?
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:11 PM   #3

I have, and that didn't help. I think the motor is shot so an electrical override won't work.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
Site Team

Have you tried overriding the board and pushing on the slide while someone else holds the "extend" button?
I believe I could remove inside trim and reach the motors on my Schwintek slide.
In fact I can't see the motors from outside even with the slide out. My wipers are too tight to pull back and see a motor.
I believe I could see them from inside with the inside trim removed.

Has your dealer offered any suggestions??
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:03 AM   #5

I have tried pushing and pulling but not while using the override. I'll give it a shot. From what I can tell, later Schwintek systems can be accessed from inside while older ones have to be done from the outside. I have loosened the panels inside and can't see the motor. I'm going to a service shop this morning. I hope I'm ahead of the spring rush.
Old 02-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #6

From what I was shown by the dealer the motors have a constant voltage to them so they work as breaks to hold the slide in place. If you disconnect both motor connectors from the controller brd you should be able to manually move the slide. After You're done you will probably have to re-sync the motors.
Old 02-27-2020, 03:16 PM   #7

I thought of that. I didn't disconnect from the control board, it's really tough to get to, but I did disconnect all power, including the battery, and pulled the fuse. All to no effect. This morning I also tried pushing while using the manual override with no success. I saw a video where a motor had failed because of a wire that had become unsoldered. This TT has lots of miles on it and I'm thinking that may be the problem. One would think that these slides would have a manual system using a crank or socket.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharrel View Post
I thought of that. I didn't disconnect from the control board, it's really tough to get to, but I did disconnect all power, including the battery, and pulled the fuse. All to no effect. This morning I also tried pushing while using the manual override with no success. I saw a video where a motor had failed because of a wire that had become unsoldered. This TT has lots of miles on it and I'm thinking that may be the problem. One would think that these slides would have a manual system using a crank or socket.

I had a motor fail from a loose motor wire. But I also had a bad controller and a bad cable. Sometimes you need to just replace parts until it works.
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:15 PM   #9

In my 2014 Solera I could access the motors from the interior after removing the trim. I had to remove the screw holding the motors in place from the outside. I then pushed down on motors from inside to get them off of track. Then it was a matter of pushing the slide in or out.
Solera Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #10

slide won't open - help

I have a 2013 FR Flagstaff. The big slide with the kitchen and sofa went in ok but would not open when I got home. I have checked the fuses and they seem to be ok. I disconnected the motor wires and tried pushing the slide out to no avail. I have no idea where the motor is located. What should I try next? And if I do get it open will it go back in ok if I can't fix it? The other 2 slides work fine.
Barnkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 12:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnkat View Post
I have a 2013 FR Flagstaff. The big slide with the kitchen and sofa went in ok but would not open when I got home. I have checked the fuses and they seem to be ok. I disconnected the motor wires and tried pushing the slide out to no avail. I have no idea where the motor is located. What should I try next? And if I do get it open will it go back in ok if I can't fix it? The other 2 slides work fine.

Is there lights flashing on the controller?
uralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnkat View Post
If it's a Schwintek, there are two motors. There are tons of Schwintek troubleshooting videos online, showing motor locations.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #13

Update--sorry I didn't reply to the latest posts, but for some reason, FR didn't notify me. Turns out that overriding the control board was right, but I didn't use enough muscle. I took it to my local RV repair [not a dealer] and it was fixed in two days. I told the guy about overriding the board and trying to push it out. He said "you're not going to push that thing out. You need two big guys. It doesn't move easily". Too bad-- I'm sure I could have replaced it had I been able to get to it. My wallet is lighter but I'm wiser.

Tags
slide