Old 03-19-2020, 02:13 PM   #1
NXR

Horrendous loud screeching sound retracting SlimRack slide

When preparing to leave today after being parked in Bradenton,FL for six weeks two slides retracted fine with the normal noise. When we retracted the kitchen slide it got about halfway in and made a VERY loud screeching sound the rest of the way in. The sound was from the rear side of the slide.

Nothing was jammed and the hoses, drain and fridge propane line on the rear side of the slide moved OK.

We held the button in and the slide appeared to be moving at the normal speed and closed normally. Both motors cut off at the same time so they are in sync as they usually are.

Amy thoughts would be appreciated. We’re apprehensive about extending the kitchen slide for the remainder of the five day trip home but the coffee stuff is trapped in the only compartment that is inaccessible.

I’ve never applied slide seal lube and do not have any with me but wow, if it was the seal sticking it was really loud. I believe the SlimRack track is not supposed to be lubricated. All were clean before we ran the slide.

Thanks,

Ray

Old 03-19-2020, 02:56 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
When preparing to leave today after being parked in Bradenton,FL for six weeks two slides retracted fine with the normal noise. When we retracted the kitchen slide it got about halfway in and made a VERY loud screeching sound the rest of the way in. The sound was from the rear side of the slide.

Nothing was jammed and the hoses, drain and fridge propane line on the rear side of the slide moved OK.

We held the button in and the slide appeared to be moving at the normal speed and closed normally. Both motors cut off at the same time so they are in sync as they usually are.

Amy thoughts would be appreciated. We’re apprehensive about extending the kitchen slide for the remainder of the five day trip home but the coffee stuff is trapped in the only compartment that is inaccessible.

I’ve never applied slide seal lube and do not have any with me but wow, if it was the seal sticking it was really loud. I believe the SlimRack track is not supposed to be lubricated. All were clean before we ran the slide.

Thanks,

Ray
Do you have a cat and have you seen it lately?

On a serious note, sounds like you describe are usually caused by either a dry seal vibrating on the side of the slide or something caught underneath. Seals can be just like dry windshield wipers.

Have you run it back out and tried again.

The seals on my slide can chatter from time to time but I minimize that by wiping down the sides of the slide with some Wash Wax All and wipe the seal edges with some ProtectAll on a cloth.

Don't overlook the seal on the bottom as they are often "out of site, out of mind".

"Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes you're the tree"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2004 Nissan Titan
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:51 PM   #3

I don't really know but maybe a dry slide seal or you can Look for a screw sticking out and dragging on the slide. This has been a problem with some units over time where the self tapping screws start to hit when the slide shifts a little over time. Usually you can cut the tip off to resolve the problem.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #4
NXR

Thanks. folks. We arrived at the campground and felt the slide sides while retracted and while they looked clean they were very gritty. We used some water and paper towels and wiped down as much of the sides as we could and also wiped down the seals which had dirt on the,. Yes, it was very sandy where we were.

I did notice the vertical seals were not flipped on either side of the kitchen slide so I am thinking it was screeching caused by the seals.

We decided to run the kitchen slide out and it went out fine with no odd noises. I looked at the bottom where the rollers track and there was no gouging or scratches so it was not a hung roller.

I texted the fellow we spent the last six weeks with who arrived home in Canada today with his fifth wheel. He said his one slide "screamed like a banshee" when he extended it at home so he's thinking it may be the sand and grit as well. Yeah, that was what ours sounded like also.

Ray
Old 03-19-2020, 09:37 PM   #5

Get some slide dry lube and get the gears and rails and some 303 for the seals and wipe them down.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
NXR

Horrendous loud screeching sound retracting SlimRack slide

Wiping down the slide sides and seals seems to have done the trick. The kitchen slide retracted normally this morning. Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Ray
Old 03-20-2020, 09:07 PM   #7

If you have not done this yet, check the manuals for the maintenance schedule for your slides. Should cover cleaning and lubricating

lmiken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide