Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

How to manually extend the slide out?

I have a surveyor 240 rbs and the slide out will not move. We are at a campsite and really need it out. Is there a way to extend the slide out manually?

Thanks
philscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #2

What is going on that the slide does not go out normal?
If it is electric have you check the fuses?
Old 05-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #3

I have checked all the fuses, I can hear the motor or something under the slide out click when I push the button. But nothing happens. I was told there is a manual extender/retracted but I could not find it.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:16 AM   #4

Where the manual is would depend on the brand and type of slide you have.

Hydraulic or electric.
Old 05-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #5

It is electric, I have spoke the place I purchased it from, and found that I have a ground fault. And to get the slide out out, we can push it if we disconnect the motors. I am leaving it in.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #6

I have a switch to one of my slideouts that is troublesome. Sometimes I have to hold or activate the switch a dozen times to get it to work, but it eventually does every time. I think it works better when hooked to shore power too. If you're hearing the click when you push it, the switch is trying to engage. I just keep trying and it works. Never any trouble getting it in though, which is a blessing. Good luck
fedexflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by philscobra View Post
I have a surveyor 240 rbs and the slide out will not move. We are at a campsite and really need it out. Is there a way to extend the slide out manually?
Yes. Did you get a long crank with a slotted end? If so, that is the slide crank.
Did you get a manual for the trailer and a bunch of booklets and instruction sheets? If so, read the info on how to do this.
If you have no instructions, look for a hole about 1-2 inches in diameter on the side of the trailer opposite the slide. This is where you insert the crank. (Mine is in the wheel skirting.)
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:14 PM   #8

Can u send me a text of where the whole is? I have looked but can not see one. Phone # is 828-817-4769
Old 05-23-2015, 10:07 PM   #9

Locate the electric motor for your slide...you might have to remove a wooden panel to get to it. On the motor drive unit you should see a 5/8" drive nut...the same size as on your rigs stabilizer jacks...might have a cotter pin through it. This is the manual drive nut for the slide...rotate it using an electric drill with the appropriate size socket or your stabilizer drive handle or a suitable wrench...clockwise extend, counter clockwise retract (or vice versa...not quite sure)
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:58 AM   #10

Maybe no help @ this time ?

This is what happen to me,,, Our dinning slid-out on our Sunseeker would not go out last year,,, it would only click,,, even after talking to the factory,,, I was unable to find what was wrong,,, to make a very long story short,,, I found a rag had twisted it self around the shaft that sticks out in the outer storage compartment !!! No more rags or towels in that compartment !!! LOL !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:29 AM   #11

We ate leaving early on Monday so as to have time to drop the camper off, to make things worse, I have a water leak, I bent the crap out oft sway ball, both on the hitch and the one bolted to the camper with now 4 bolts because two are cone. And the camper moved once I unhooked from the truck, so to say the least , it's been fun.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 AM   #12

Sway Bar

We had a problem with broken hitch parts a few years back,,, come to find out the sway bar had not been installed properly !!!
I guess you know,,, never back-up with sway bar hooked up !!!
Hope your weekend gets better !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Yes. Did you get a long crank with a slotted end? If so, that is the slide crank.
Did you get a manual for the trailer and a bunch of booklets and instruction sheets? If so, read the info on how to do this.
If you have no instructions, look for a hole about 1-2 inches in diameter on the side of the trailer opposite the slide. This is where you insert the crank. (Mine is in the wheel skirting.)
I looked for my crank and found it under the sofa. Go figure, didn't expect it there.

The motor runs? Sounds like the coupling pin is gone or broke. Look under the slide, you will see the motor, a line shaft and then the gear box on the other side. There is a coupling on both ends of the shaft that connects it to the gear boxes. Look for a small pin or a hole the pin should be in. I have used small nails to replace a pin if needed.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:35 AM   #14

I have a 2008 Surveyor 303. The manual retractor is under the steps, which in our case, is on the opposite side of the trailer from the slide about a foot above the bottom trim of the trailer. My second slide is on the right side of the trailer near the city water fill connection, but closer to the bottom skirt. it is a round hole about the size of a water hose surrounded by a plastic ring. You should have a crank handle similar to the one for an electric jack but with a longer extension arm. You might also try swapping switches, if you have two slides or simply shorting the slide switch leads together. Also don't forget the fuses. They should be labeled for the slides. I had a broken weld on the slide drive arm and had a welder beef up both slide arm attachments. I also have a small issue with a drive motor that occasionally doesn't engage when I forget to level the side the slide is on. The motor is on the opposite side of the sealed underbelly and you have to cut a flap to access the motor. A light tap and it resumes working. It may be worn bushes, I am not sure and I haven't had a chance to explore it further yet. Good luck and just remember every day is an adventure and a learning curve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1331.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	327.7 KB
ID:	78585   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1326.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	573.1 KB
ID:	78586  
2014 Sebastian Charleston,SC to Finger Lakes, Lake Erie, Lake Cowanesque,PA and home
2015 Sebastian to PA,NY,WI,MN,return to NY and home
2016 GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,OH,PA,NY,to Sebastian,FL
WSY DD693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:34 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSY DD693 View Post
I have a 2008 Surveyor 303. The manual retractor is under the steps, which in our case, is on the opposite side of the trailer from the slide about a foot above the bottom trim of the trailer. My second slide is on the right side of the trailer near the city water fill connection, but closer to the bottom skirt. it is a round hole about the size of a water hose surrounded by a plastic ring. You should have a crank handle similar to the one for an electric jack but with a longer extension arm. You might also try swapping switches, if you have two slides or simply shorting the slide switch leads together. Also don't forget the fuses. They should be labeled for the slides. I had a broken weld on the slide drive arm and had a welder beef up both slide arm attachments. I also have a small issue with a drive motor that occasionally doesn't engage when I forget to level the side the slide is on. The motor is on the opposite side of the sealed underbelly and you have to cut a flap to access the motor. A light tap and it resumes working. It may be worn bushes, I am not sure and I haven't had a chance to explore it further yet. Good luck and just remember every day is an adventure and a learning curve.
How true your statement is, When they came out with slides they really opened up your floor plan. But when they give you problems they are just a PIA....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:57 AM   #16

Did you serve with the Blue Angels? Nice photo.
2014 Sebastian Charleston,SC to Finger Lakes, Lake Erie, Lake Cowanesque,PA and home
2015 Sebastian to PA,NY,WI,MN,return to NY and home
2016 GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,OH,PA,NY,to Sebastian,FL
WSY DD693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:03 AM   #17

OK, just a follow up. The dealer had to replace one motor on the slide out. The model and year (2015) there is no manual slide out, you have to unhook the motor control and push/pull your slide out/in. You will need 4 to 6 good size men. Second all the water leaks have been fixed. We had about 4 leaks. The electrical issue with a few plug in's not working has been fixed. Now they are working on the hot water heater. I have to say I am not to happy with a brand new trailer having this many issues. But so far the everything has been covered under warranty.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #18

My slide quit working on my last trip. I looked through my manual and it didn't tell me anything. I had the manual extension tool and finally found the point to engage it on the opposite side of the slide. Very disappointed that this information was not in the manual. Now I need to figure out why the switch isn't working.
kharris111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #19

Kharris111 good luck. We got ours fixed and when we went out last week we found out the awning was wired up backwards (it was right before we took it in). I had to go and get a new fuse. Not that big of a deal but nothing upsets me more than having to take something back for something different than what it went in for. The dealership has mine again trying to fix the outlet problem I have been having. Hopefully they will get it right.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by philscobra View Post
Kharris111 good luck. We got ours fixed and when we went out last week we found out the awning was wired up backwards (it was right before we took it in
At least that is an easy fix, just reverse two wires. Depending on the switch might be able to just turn it 180 degrees and put it back.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, slide, slide out