Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #1

Hydraulic Slide Issues

2012 31' Forest River Wildcat 5thwhl with Lippert Hydraulic slide action. While extending or retracting all slides, pump starts out fine for 30 seconds or so and then pump or valving makes funny sound and movement stops. Funny sound continues until button is released. A few seconds later I hear a click, which I assume to be an auto-reset breaker, and when I push the extend/retract button everything starts up again for a short time before it happens all over again. The breakers are in the front near the pump, but I cannot feel which one of the 5 or 6 is dumping. There is lots of oil in reservoir and ambient temp is approx. 25c or 76f.

Pump seems to continue running during funny hydraulic squawking sound, but movement ceases. Are the hydraulic valves controlled electrically? Does the dumped breaker controlled a valve? May be silly questions but I am not familiar with these systems. Any insight would be appreciated as dealer is 40 kilometers away.

Ken Holmes
Holmes2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes2016 View Post
2012 31' Forest River Wildcat 5thwhl with Lippert Hydraulic slide action. While extending or retracting all slides, pump starts out fine for 30 seconds or so and then pump or valving makes funny sound and movement stops. Funny sound continues until button is released. A few seconds later I hear a click, which I assume to be an auto-reset breaker, and when I push the extend/retract button everything starts up again for a short time before it happens all over again. The breakers are in the front near the pump, but I cannot feel which one of the 5 or 6 is dumping. There is lots of oil in reservoir and ambient temp is approx. 25c or 76f.

Pump seems to continue running during funny hydraulic squawking sound, but movement ceases. Are the hydraulic valves controlled electrically? Does the dumped breaker controlled a valve? May be silly questions but I am not familiar with these systems. Any insight would be appreciated as dealer is 40 kilometers away.

Ken Holmes
All my weird hydraulic problems disappeared when we changed the 50amp auto reset breaker to an 80amp per Lippert. No more stopping/starting several times to get everything in.
Mine never made a strange noise that I remember though. Might be a valve flutter of some kind. If the pump is actually running after movement stops, then you might have a very different problem. But the click after a few seconds after releasing the switch acts like mine did.
I called up the LCI tech support line and they walked me through several diagnostics and determined it was the 50amp breaker (which they said was too small to begin with).
I have called them a few times to diagnose things, and on two occasions they even sent me the parts to fix it for free! Is definitely worth a call.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Would you have the phone number for Lippert?
Holmes2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes2016 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Would you have the phone number for Lippert?
574-537-8900
You can contact them via phone, app, chat, email....etc
https://support.lci1.com/contact
I would hold off until you determine what the problem is with your electrical system from your other thread as I'm pretty sure they are related. I'm betting it's a bad converter.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, slide