Old 06-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #1

I'm a bit confused about slide outs

We just bought a 2018 Rockwood mini lite 2507s .
In the past I've noticed a few others at camp grounds that when they extend their slide out , they put a leveling jack under it .
I've asked a few campers about if I needed to be doing that or not.
Some said yes and some said no .
I'm not having any problems with my slide out , but if it's needed I'll get one of those.
What are everyone's thoughts on this subject ???
Swgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:46 AM   #2

no, not needed or a good idea. If you 'need' supports because of the weight inside the slide out..... You have to much weight inside the slide out.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:52 AM   #3

Ok , thank you for the information .
Over the past. Few years I've noticed what seems more and more doing this and thought I might need to be doing this too.
Again thank you !!
Happy Camping !
Old 06-05-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
...far N Georgia!

the only reason folks put extra support under their slide room is simply to help in reducing the 'walk'(inside movement) that happens when people are moving around the RV... just like when some put additional supports in other places around the lower frame of the RV...

typically the factory mounts your 'stabilizers' at the far corners, but having extras in other places only helps to keep movement from becoming an issue, though some are more sensitive to it than others...

our son's camper has two under his slide out, and it certainly helps in minimizing movement. While some would suggest that you could possibly damage the slide mechanism, I think it's doubtful, especially if you are only relieving some of the weight from the slide out, itself. Of course, our son doesn't move his RV, either, it's his 'dorm' at college : )

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #5

Slide out supports were needed for the old tip outs. The newer slideouts can be damaged by the supports.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:06 AM   #6

Ok thank you for your information !
Happy Camping !
Old 06-05-2020, 09:07 AM   #7

Ok thank you for the information !
Happy Camping !
Old 06-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
the only reason folks put extra support under their slide room is simply to help in reducing the 'walk'(inside movement) that happens when people are moving around the RV... just like when some put additional supports in other places around the lower frame of the RV...

typically the factory mounts your 'stabilizers' at the far corners, but having extras in other places only helps to keep movement from becoming an issue, though some are more sensitive to it than others...

our son's camper has two under his slide out, and it certainly helps in minimizing movement. While some would suggest that you could possibly damage the slide mechanism, I think it's doubtful, especially if you are only relieving some of the weight from the slide out, itself. Of course, our son doesn't move his RV, either, it's his 'dorm' at college : )
It's actually probably worse that he doesn't move it. When the trailer starts sinking into the ground the supports could cause more pressure on the slide-out and cause damage.

I've been on my seasonal site going on 4 years now and I know for sure that my trailer has started to tilt slightly due to the tires sinking into the ground a little. This summer I'm going to have to adjust it.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swgriffin View Post
We just bought a 2018 Rockwood mini lite 2507s .
In the past I've noticed a few others at camp grounds that when they extend their slide out , they put a leveling jack under it .
I've asked a few campers about if I needed to be doing that or not.
Some said yes and some said no .
I'm not having any problems with my slide out , but if it's needed I'll get one of those.
What are everyone's thoughts on this subject ???
No matter what we say, you need to listen to the RV manufacturers regarding this. All manufacturers warn against using external supports and state that you will void the warranty if you do use such devices.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 02:58 PM   #10

If the slide out needed support it would have been fitted at the factory. I can only recall one trailer with a support under a slide out and that was a 15 year old popup.

-- Chuck
Old 06-05-2020, 04:48 PM   #11

Ive found out that your warranty will be voided if there is damage. Out of warranty, then up to you.
RookieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:42 PM   #12

Thanks for the advise
Happy camping !

Tags
fuse, slide, slide out