Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2021, 07:39 PM   #21

I'm about 235lb most of the time. I've stood on the slideouts of my '12 Sanibel many times over the past 7 years. No issues at all. I've thought about slide "toppers" (awnings) but I've seen them flapping in high winds, debris does get under them & getting it out when things are wet is a pain. I don't step onto the slides unless it's necessary to get them cleaned off but at least on mine it's not a big deal.

ken
Old 03-11-2021, 08:20 PM   #22

I have a 2019 Cedar Creek and I can walk on both the roof and slides. They are made with plywood and not press board. This is my second Cedar Creek and my 2014 was the same way.

Dan and Carol
2019 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/4x4/long box
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway 38FLX
Full timers since May 2019
Axeman49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 10:13 PM   #23

Not me!

I wouldn't for reasons stated, but also because I would not want the extra strain on my slide's mechanism let alone the roof and its structure.

Points to you for asking though!
MisterVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 11:22 PM   #24
Nix

Maybe a tech or FR rep can respond?? I've only used a gas blower/broom on mine.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:45 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nix View Post
Maybe a tech or FR rep can respond?? I've only used a gas blower/broom on mine.
Since you're new here, you do know that Forest River Forums has no affiliation with Forest River Incorporated, right?
There are only a handful of FR employees that are members here. And they only work in the Motorhome divisions.
And don't know of any member here that's a currently working RV tech.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:17 AM   #26
Nix

Thank you. I thought I remembered seeing posts from techs chiming in. It must have been another forum.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:06 AM   #27

I personally would not, maybe it is strong enough and maybe... I like the battery powered leaf blower idea. I have toppers but those with them know that things stick to them especially with dew or after a rain. Rolling it up with crap in it not a good idea.
Rgpigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtB View Post
I disagree.. most of your slides have couches or chairs in them which support your weight already. Assuming you aren't a really big guy I wouldn't worry about walking on your slides... just try to stay away from the edges which you probably already would.

Its the roof that will not support the weight.

Do me a test and get back to me.
Go up on your slide and stand in the middle of it and let me know what happened.
O and be sure to have a tarp for when you need it.
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:33 PM   #29

Guess it depends on the model. The Cherokee slide roofs are walkable. The only way to get to the seals is by being on the roof. I weigh more tan 200, not going to say HOW much more, but lets just say there is a zero involved at the end. I needed to caulk a seal above the street rear slide, and it supported my weight just fine, didn't even flex. I asked when I did the walkthrough if the slide roofs can support walking and they said up to 250 pounds.

OK for the naysayers, bunkhouse beds? have you seen them? They support 300 pounds, are you seriously going to say that the roof is flimsier than the bunk beds? On my long slide there is a cabinet floor to ceiling taking up half the slide. The other slide has a cabinet at one end for the reefer, and that is the one I was on to caulk the seam.

You don't want to tap dance on them or play bouncy house, but from what I have looked at, they are walkable. Just use common sense and be careful on them.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
X2. I walk on mine without any concern.
X3. Been doing it for years. As the previous poster says, the slide roof is much sturdier than the roof. Slides are movable. They are built to survive the stresses of moving in and out and twisting.
But that's how I see it. Take my advice or not. It's your decision.
gthomp10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, roof, slide, slide out