Old 01-27-2020, 11:14 PM   #1

Is the membrane on the bottom of the slide supposed to be water tight?

We just purchased a 2004 cedar creek 30CKTS fifth wheel. There is some rotten wood on both ends of the living room slide. I don't see anywhere that it has been leaking. The roof looks good and all of the seams. There is no damage in the cabinets or the walls. When starting to remove the rotten wood, I noticed that the membrane on the bottom has small pin holes. You can see daylight through it. I am wondering if the moisture can be drawn up through the membrane and rot the wood. I want to waterproof it, but I am wondering if it is meant to breath. If I water proof it and moisture gets in from elsewhere, it can hold it in. Any knowledge or opinions?

Also, has anyone replaced the wood flooring? It looks like about 2 inches of cdx type flooring, but has no seams on the 12' slide. It also looks like it sits from the outside frame to the inside frame with no cross supports. I feel like I can just cut out the bad wood and replace with an equal thickness of pressure treated plywood. We are putting a self stick vinyl adhesive tile down on top. There was an aluminum foil covering the wood, but it was mostly shredded. Glad I decided to tear that carpet out. The bedroom slide seems to be constructed differently. There does appear to be cross joists there and it is soft from underneath outside. I don't know if there is rot there, or just a different method of construction. I won't get to the bedroom anytime soon to work on it. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:32 PM   #2
Fulltime family RVer

No idea on the slide membrane. I never assumed it was waterproof by looking at it, but have no idea.

As for replacing the floor, friends of mine did it and wrote it up:
https://pineapplevoyage.com/when-slide-floors-go-bad/

Old 01-28-2020, 06:06 PM   #3

any windows in the walls?

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:25 AM   #4

Yes there are windows
1998 Carri-lite 34' 5th wheel
Old 01-29-2020, 05:46 AM   #5

Is the membrane that black burlap looking stuff that landscapers use to keep weeds from growing in mulch beds?

When you removed the rotted wood, could you see any insulation...was it the fiberglass roll-out type?

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrules View Post
Yes there are windows
Check the windows I would guess too that is where the leak is from.

Good Luck !!!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 07:05 AM   #7

If you do youtube, there is “love your rv” that has a good segment on the bottom corners of a slide and floor repair.
Jeffjeeptj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #8

Is the Membrane on the Bottom of the Slide Supposed to be Water Tight?

I have the same problem in one outside corner of my main slide as well. Check this youtube video out for repair and fixing the cause of the problem.

5water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 02:18 PM   #9

Is the membrane on the bottom of the slide supposed to be water tight?

Dallasrules I just went thru this on a 2016 33IK Silverback. Did a post in the Cedar Creek section search for slide out leak. I call the black material Skrim but others call it by name Dacor. Initially it is water proof much like the blue tarps you purchase at most stores but as it gets used, rubbed, etc the weave gets loose and water will soak thru. In my case I needed to cutout and replace a 2'X4' section. Was not to hard if you have some good DIY skills. In order to prevent this from happening again I used 2 inch right angle 1/16 inch aluminum as they did in the video. I slid it up under the fiberglass exterior and attached it with the existing holes for the trim. I used new stainless screws.

Just some additional info. I found that those small trim screws were the only thing holding the slide walls to the floor. I used 2 1/2 inch stainless self tapping screws and went up thru the floor into the aluminum slide framing. I did this to both slides that needed repaired. The screws are sealed and are also covered by the aluminum right angle.
Rich5117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:32 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for your answers and advise. The first side is fixed and the second one is almost there. I also added the flashing. Almost ready to put down new flooring.

1998 Carri-lite 34' 5th wheel

Tags
slide, water