Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2021, 10:11 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I've seen various RVs that have this similar flex. It's almost like it's a plastic panel over the outside of the slide. It always looks super weird to me, though.

If it were me, I would go to a dealer that has a couple of these and check to see if yours in the only one like it. Take pictures of others that do or don't have it and then you have "evidence" to present to Salem.
That's a great idea, I'd go to another dealer with the same unit and see if it's the same way and take pictures. see if the bulge follows it inside when it's closed is important, as well. I agree also that it's important to take emotion out of the pursuit to get this resolved since it can be misdirected as stated and in the end only make people less likely to help, IMHO. If I might suggest, if you are not already doing this, get a notebook and start writing down everyone you've discussed this with, when and what time, and what was said. It's always important to get an email address and follow-up with any conversation with a wrap-up email on what was discussed. This gives them an opportunity to agree or deny. I also agree this does not look normal and could possibly be water intrusion or just sloppy work especially now with this big boom in the RV industry, they are just pumping them out which gives truth to the old saying, "Strike while the iron is hot". As for the suggestion to contact lawyers, consumer groups, etc. I think, at least right now, it might be premature, again IMHO but keep records and pictures of everything. Also please keep updating us. Thanks
Great Granddaughter - Cora (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (5 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:26 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
For those of us who have no idea what a "SCL 263BHXL" is, what is it when spelled out?

Ray
when you click on op user name and look at his profile it shows "Salem Cruise Lite" 263BHXL
Old 03-04-2021, 12:32 PM   #23

Angry Is this Not warranty repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
I'm hoping you're not taking an attitude and using "WHAAAAAAAAT?" with anyone outside this group If you are, you should apologize and take the emotion out of future communications.

Those are just people trying to do their job and having to deal with customers ticked off by their idiot dealers, who sell too much of their product to cut them off.

Ray
That i have not done to any of the persons I've talked to at CW or at FR. I've kept my emotions in check with speaking to them and emailing them, I just had to vent here. I do keep all emails and messages to all parties concerned. As sung by Tom Petty "The Waiting Is The Hardest Part!"
Old 03-08-2021, 09:17 PM   #24

A good dealer that will go to bat for you is worth their weight in firewood. I've contacted FR directly with issues with ours, and they've been good. Sounds like CW was getting lazy when submitting the warranty claim.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:59 PM   #25

After you have exhausted all avenues and it sounds like you are almost there, find the ceo/president of Forest River, document everything, every contact you have made, every response. Send the document to the ceo via registered mail that he himself has to sign for. We had slide issues on a brand new 2015 Coachmen Chaparral fifth wheel. It would not seal at the bottom. We even took it back to factory on our dime. They could not fix it. We fought for over a year and I shed a lot of tears. It was exhausting. But, we got in writing a guarantee on the slide for as long as we owned it.(leakage). The CEO’s name is Peter Liegl. It is such a shame that we have to go through this but, it’s the price we pay for loving to camp. Hope this helps and you have many years of happy camping.
LindyLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:07 PM   #26

Florida? Consumer protection? MMmmmmmmm.....
Old 03-08-2021, 11:06 PM   #27

This is definitely warranty repair. Contact FR warranty director with pictures of your slide and a good one along with VIN. Any authorized dealer can make the repair and bill directly to FR. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:06 AM   #28

Is this Not warranty repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuru View Post
This is definitely warranty repair. Contact FR warranty director with pictures of your slide and a good one along with VIN. Any authorized dealer can make the repair and bill directly to FR. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply. I've emailed and sent pictures to the rep at the Salem Cruise Lite division of Forest River, who she said, talked to her managers about this and said that it is not a warranty issue and that the material is supposed to flex like that. The south wall is NOT like that at all. Flat and smooth. Not even the slightest bubble. We are picking it up this Friday to bring home until they get the other parts in from other smaller warranty issues which they say will be in on March26, and then we will take it back for the repairs at that time. BUT, that is a costly drive for us both coming and going, 2 1/2 hours each way. I will make sure that they make it up to us for our time and cost of gas. I do need to get a topper for the slide and want to install a 2nd set of solid steps for the rear door. So hopefully I can have them install those on THEIR DIME.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1stTimer View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've emailed and sent pictures to the rep at the Salem Cruise Lite division of Forest River, who she said, talked to her managers about this and said that it is not a warranty issue and that the material is supposed to flex like that. The south wall is NOT like that at all. Flat and smooth. Not even the slightest bubble. We are picking it up this Friday to bring home until they get the other parts in from other smaller warranty issues which they say will be in on March26, and then we will take it back for the repairs at that time. BUT, that is a costly drive for us both coming and going, 2 1/2 hours each way. I will make sure that they make it up to us for our time and cost of gas. I do need to get a topper for the slide and want to install a 2nd set of solid steps for the rear door. So hopefully I can have them install those on THEIR DIME.
IMHO if you have nothing planned in between that time I'd leave it there until they get the parts in to complete what they're supposed to do. Why waste the time making the extra round-trip costing you time and money. Some dealers may compensate you but my experience tells me most don't. If the dealer is telling you that you have to pick it up and doesn't want to discuss leaving it there then call his boss. Remember your the one that's being put out of the way to have the issues fixed in the first place. Though it happens a lot you didn't pay expecting problems you paid to have a quality product.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:45 AM   #30

I have issues with my new Forest River product as well.Slow approval through dealer and no response from FR after contacting 2 times.Main window does not open unless you count when it falls out and side panel is cut too short,allows water to enter wall.You would thing this would be corrected as it is manufacturing issue.
Wildcat Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:56 AM   #31

Both of those are not trivial repairs especially the water intrusion in the wall. That's a perfect recipe for mold and mildew. Not sure if its store inside or outside but that needs to be checked out beyond the point of the water intrusion. If water is inside the wall it will only get worse, IMHO. Keep good records of everything going on including your discussions with dealer and FR. Follow up with an email to confirm the discussion to assure there's no misunderstanding on issues and promises. Please provide updates if you would. Thanks
Great Granddaughter - Cora (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (5 y/o)
Old 03-09-2021, 11:38 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmctlc View Post
IMHO if you have nothing planned in between that time I'd leave it there until they get the parts in to complete what they're supposed to do. Why waste the time making the extra round-trip costing you time and money. Some dealers may compensate you but my experience tells me most don't. If the dealer is telling you that you have to pick it up and doesn't want to discuss leaving it there then call his boss. Remember your the one that's being put out of the way to have the issues fixed in the first place. Though it happens a lot you didn't pay expecting problems you paid to have a quality product.
I tend to agree with this recommendation as well. When the parts do come in, they will call you and schedule you to come back at THEIR convenience, meaning when their next available slot is open which could be a few weeks to well over a month after the parts get in. Been there, Done that.

On my Arctic Wolf 3660 the street rear slide has a 1/4" gap at the top of the rear seal. It has been in the shop since last November 4th. Because of that long delay, and since we have had several snow falls, and a thaw, the drive where I store it is mush, so I haven't picked it up yet, though they did call and left a message about 4 weeks ago. I have no idea if they were able to correct the issue, but if not I am calling FR direct. I have a feeling the entire slide has to be replaced to correct it because when retracted the slide fully seals. I put a 6' level across the wall vertically and sure enough the box is not square. There is no adjustment that can correct that.

IOW I feel your pain. We both have potential future water damage to look forward to.
Bhrava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:57 PM   #33

I have experienced the pain of dealing directly with FR but my experience is they usually approve your dealer's request faster since warranty person is familiar with the claim. They do only pay for repair so agree with others leaving RV minimizes your trips and wait time since dealer wants it off their lot.
TexasGuru is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty, repair