Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2021, 03:08 PM   #1

Is this NOT a warranty repair?

Bought a new 2021 FR SCL 263BHXL from CW, (I know!) in Jacksonville, Fl at the end of Oct, 2020. We do the extended time walkaround after all is said and done. We get home after driving 2 1/2 hours and park the rig in our driveway for the night. Get up next morning, leveled the TT, hook up to shore power, walk through camper to make sure nothing fell off inside on way home from dealer. Everything is good inside. Check all lights, fridge working, check lights inside microwave, radio, electric fireplace, etc etc etc. all working as they should. Put out main awning, check, working. Push button to extend slideout, works fine. Ok, now the wife and i go out and walk around to the slideout and see this big bulge under the side window on the north end of the slide. WHAAAAAAAAT? Look at south end wall and there's no bulging of material, all flat and taught. Called CW to make an appointment, this was beginning of November "Can't get you in until January 18th." WHAAAAAAAAT? So TT sits in yard, put the slide back in, until the day arrived to make the trek back to Jacksonville. I will say there are a few other small issues to be addressed under warranty that's been approved, but CW called today, March 1st to say that FR has denied warranty repair on this. "Oh, the material is supposed to flex like that." WHAAAAAAAAT? I contacted Tara Maisonnueve at FR and sent pictures to her. Now waiting on a reply. Sorry for the long rant(!!!!!) Please can anyone chime in give me some direction as to how I can go about getting this resolved? I told CW that I WOULD NOT accept this as is as I am more worried about future damage to side wall and possible damage to seals on that side as well as water leakage Not a Happy Camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1015.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	248639  
Old 03-01-2021, 04:31 PM   #2

That certainly looks more than just a flex. Hope they do right by you.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:35 PM   #3

That's why I no longer buy new and only buy used. I dealt with stuff like this on my first RV. It spent 172 days of the first 11 months in the shop. Let someone else get the new one, take the hit on depreciation, and let them deal with all the shop time for warranty working out issues left by the manufacturer.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #4

I would say that needs adjusted. Looks as though the end panel was cut a bit too large and is flexing because it is attached where it is supposed to be.
Hensley Hitch
Cabinfever97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:26 PM   #5

Looks like delimitation to me. Push on the bubble. If it is delam it should give pretty easy until it hits against plywood backing.
bradw661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 01:42 PM   #6

First of all welcome to RV’ing. The factories pump these babies out fast and furious. Looks like water damage to me.
Being brand spanking new I certainly hope this gets repaired under warranty. If they give you grief go right to the top and contact Warren Buffet about the problem. I wish you the best and stick to your guns about the repair
Johnny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #7
NXR

For those of us who have no idea what a "SCL 263BHXL" is, what is it when spelled out?

Ray
Old 03-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired1stTimer View Post
Bought a new 2021 FR SCL 263BHXL from CW, (I know!) in Jacksonville, Fl at the end of Oct, 2020. We do the extended time walkaround after all is said and done. We get home after driving 2 1/2 hours and park the rig in our driveway for the night. Get up next morning, leveled the TT, hook up to shore power, walk through camper to make sure nothing fell off inside on way home from dealer. Everything is good inside. Check all lights, fridge working, check lights inside microwave, radio, electric fireplace, etc etc etc. all working as they should. Put out main awning, check, working. Push button to extend slideout, works fine. Ok, now the wife and i go out and walk around to the slideout and see this big bulge under the side window on the north end of the slide. WHAAAAAAAAT? Look at south end wall and there's no bulging of material, all flat and taught. Called CW to make an appointment, this was beginning of November "Can't get you in until January 18th." WHAAAAAAAAT? So TT sits in yard, put the slide back in, until the day arrived to make the trek back to Jacksonville. I will say there are a few other small issues to be addressed under warranty that's been approved, but CW called today, March 1st to say that FR has denied warranty repair on this. "Oh, the material is supposed to flex like that." WHAAAAAAAAT? I contacted Tara Maisonnueve at FR and sent pictures to her. Now waiting on a reply. Sorry for the long rant(!!!!!) Please can anyone chime in give me some direction as to how I can go about getting this resolved? I told CW that I WOULD NOT accept this as is as I am more worried about future damage to side wall and possible damage to seals on that side as well as water leakage Not a Happy Camper.
Do you have a consumer protection organization in your area or Better Business Bureau?
Bob Gowryluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
That's why I no longer buy new and only buy used. I dealt with stuff like this on my first RV. It spent 172 days of the first 11 months in the shop. Let someone else get the new one, take the hit on depreciation, and let them deal with all the shop time for warranty working out issues left by the manufacturer.
Yup, my last three were used. The current one was used four times until the elderly man had eye surgery and he didn't want to pull it anymore.

Besides having repairs made, the original owners sucks up huge depreciation, too.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:15 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I would contact FR and let them know what CW told you.
Get the factory involved. Each division has a contact page on FR web site.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:35 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
For those of us who have no idea what a "SCL 263BHXL" is, what is it when spelled out?

Ray

X2

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:46 PM   #12

Write to CFPB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Gowryluk View Post
Do you have a consumer protection organization in your area or Better Business Bureau?
write to CONSUMER FRAUD PROTECTION BUREAU CPFB a federal agency I had to use them 2015 a dealership up in NE tried to pull a fast one wrote a loan and landed up with 2 payment books different amounts told me well you owe the bank u gotta pay REALLY called my congress person who sits on the banking commision gave me the CFPB info about 7 days I my phone rang 10/12 people from Bk pres,to dealer president to State police fraud squad THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS DEALING ACROSS STATE LINES it got straighten out in a hurry improper registration this was a new MH given a temp trailer reg.to travel your best bet CFPB...good luck
locoengnr11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:46 PM   #13

Feel your pain. I also bought a new one from CW. Learned two things. (1) as said previous not a good idea to buy a new one. (2) CW was a bad choice. Bought a 2015 in spring of 2016. Made more trips going back and forth to CW than I did using it. They got tired of me and called Forrest River warranty, who contacted me. They were awesome. Just stay on them and be pleasant and they will take care of you. Just ask to take it some place other than CW. What State are you in? Good luck...
831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:09 AM   #14

Is this Not warranty repair?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post

Ray
I apologize to those in here that may own FR (Forest River) travel trailers, but may not know the abbreviations to the different divisions of Forest River manufacturing. SCL......Salem Cruise Lite. It was not my intention to derail anyone as to the model of my TT, hahaha just trying to shorten my post as best I could.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 831 BHDS Flagstaff 2015 View Post
Feel your pain. I also bought a new one from CW. Learned two things. (1) as said previous not a good idea to buy a new one. (2) CW was a bad choice. Bought a 2015 in spring of 2016. Made more trips going back and forth to CW than I did using it. They got tired of me and called Forrest River warranty, who contacted me. They were awesome. Just stay on them and be pleasant and they will take care of you. Just ask to take it some place other than CW. What State are you in? Good luck...
We live in Ocala, FL and there's a CW just 10 miles south of me in Summerfield, FL. I previously had purchased an FR Salem Cruise Lite from them in 2018. Really smooth process, no issues, got the terms we wanted and never had any issues with that TT. We wanted to upgrade to a larger unit, but the only place we could find this 263BHXL model was in Jacksonville, FL. There again, smooth purchase process, terms we wanted, etc.etc. After finding the slide wall issue I went back to the Summerfield store to see if they would fix it and the counter person there after seeing the pictures I took said......"Oh we can't fix that here, you have to go back to Jacksonville for your warranty service." WHAAAAT? so long story short, my contact with Tara Maisonnueve said that THIS NOT A WARRANTY ISSUE AND THAT THE WALL IS SUPPOSED TO FLEX IN AND OUT LIKE THAT. The service department at CW said the same thing. I'm waiting to hear back from FR again after giving them AN EARFUL in an Email back to her.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I would contact FR and let them know what CW told you.
Get the factory involved. Each division has a contact page on FR web site.
Thanks 5 Picker, Tara Maisonnuve is the contact person I was referred to when contacting FR last week. She said after getting my pictures to her said that she had gotten with her other (?) people at FR and discussed it and said, "No," it's supposed to be that way. WHAAAAAAAAT? No way! So we'll see how this plays out. Do you have any other recommendations for a path to follow or possibly any one else can contact at FR? Really would appreciate any and ALL help in this matter as I'm afraid of any possible extra damage could happen with this. Thanks again!
Old 03-03-2021, 01:00 PM   #17
NXR

Quote:
I apologize to those in here that may own FR (Forest River) travel trailers, but may not know the abbreviations to the different divisions of Forest River manufacturing. SCL......Salem Cruise Lite. It was not my intention to derail anyone as to the model of my TT, hahaha just trying to shorten my post as best I could.
We own a Forest River motorhome so I have about zero knowledge of the other product lines.

You'll find the factory Sales and Service contacts for your area of the country here, but you may already know that: https://www.forestriverinc.com/rvs/c...gionSelected=1

If Tara in Service stops responding, forward your email to the Sales person and ask if Tara is in the office. When Service screws with Sales people getting their commission on future sales they tend to get interested.

Good luck,

Ray
Old 03-03-2021, 01:05 PM   #18
NXR

Quote:
Thanks 5 Picker, Tara Maisonnuve is the contact person I was referred to when contacting FR last week. She said after getting my pictures to her said that she had gotten with her other (?) people at FR and discussed it and said, "No," it's supposed to be that way. WHAAAAAAAAT? No way! So we'll see how this plays out. Do you have any other recommendations for a path to follow or possibly any one else can contact at FR? Really would appreciate any and ALL help in this matter as I'm afraid of any possible extra damage could happen with this. Thanks again!
I'm hoping you're not taking an attitude and using "WHAAAAAAAAT?" with anyone outside this group If you are, you should apologize and take the emotion out of future communications.

Those are just people trying to do their job and having to deal with customers ticked off by their idiot dealers, who sell too much of their product to cut them off.

Ray
Old 03-03-2021, 01:26 PM   #19

If possible take a look at the side of your slide while it is retracted inside the camper to see if the bulge is still there. What you have is not normal "flex". I agree with someone else who posted earlier and said that it looks like they cut the piece too large at the factory. It probably just needs trimmed and reattached. However, if the bulge is NOT there when the slide is in, that indicates that your slide is twisting when extended and may need adjusted. Either way, this is not "normal".
Old 03-03-2021, 02:16 PM   #20
Always Learning

I've seen various RVs that have this similar flex. It's almost like it's a plastic panel over the outside of the slide. It always looks super weird to me, though.

If it were me, I would go to a dealer that has a couple of these and check to see if yours in the only one like it. Take pictures of others that do or don't have it and then you have "evidence" to present to Salem.

Tags
warranty, repair