Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2021, 08:22 AM   #1

282qbxl wall leak. Help!

I have a leak coming from the wall that is just to the left of my slide out. It only leaks when the slide out is open. Being that it is about 3 in to the left of the actual slide out, I can't find where it is coming from. It is coming in from underneath the small piece of vertical trim on the wall. There are some black and white wires that I can see from the bottom of the trim, but I have not taken the trim off. I have attached a picture from a few days ago when it was raining here. When the slide is closed, it does not leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is a 2021 282 qbxl. We have not even been able to use the camper yet and it has been nothing but trouble so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210228_072553.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	248778  
VaCamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:23 AM   #2
Member: Old Man Club

Try this. Open your slide all the way. Pour a cup of water on the roof of the slide on the same side as where the leak is. If the water runs back towards the trailer, then that's where the water is coming in. Once inside, it may be following a channel or ridge inside the wall to a drip point (where your wall is wet). This is a job for your dealer to fix and a warranty issue. If you don't want to do that, you could attempt to fix it yourself which will void your warranty. I'm not an expert and this is only my opinion based on previous experience with other units. However you get it fixed, I would suggest getting a slide topper awning to prevent those kinds of leaks. They are not cheap, but then, neither was your trailer.

2016 Ford F250 Super Duty Crew Cab, 4x4
2021 Palomino Puma 27RLSS
RockDodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
Site Team

It's always helpful if you post the brand of the RV. Many brands use the same model number. Or put that information in your profile.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:26 AM   #4

Great idea. Thank you very much for the info!
Old 03-03-2021, 10:28 AM   #5

Its a wildwood Xlite, made by Forest River. 33ft long, with one slide out. This is our first camper.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #6

My wall leak came from gutter railing screws which loosened up over time. My Class C has screws every 4-6" the entire length of the gutter rail. If your gutters are of the same design they may be covered by a 1" or so vinyl strip. Strip is easily pulled out with a bit of lubricant and can be bought on line to replace.

My fix was to back out the screws, caulk the screws, and reinsert

Your slide out seal attachments, vertical or horizontal rubber may also need to be caulked.

If you have a slide out topper take it off, clean the top of the slide, caulk it and above the topper seal.

You can tackle these items one at a time to see which fixes your issue.

Of course, you should look at your roof for any deep pits or spots where the caulking is cracked or was applied so thinly its just plain opened up. A roof leak may find a path down your wall and come out on the inside of the wall where ever it hits an interior nail or screw.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaCamper1 View Post
Its a wildwood Xlite, made by Forest River. 33ft long, with one slide out. This is our first camper.
Since it is apparently still under warranty, if you can't get it to the dealer, you can use an independent RV shop or mobile RV technician. You just have to get pre-approval from FR and be willing to be reimbursed.
Did you do a roof inspection before accepting the trailer?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Old 03-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #8

Should the outside rubber seal that is attached to the camper, the one that is vertical on the side of the slide out, be caulked all the way from top to bottom? It seems like it has a very thin line of caulk from the factory, and may not be thick enough. I'm not sure if water can get behind there or not. I have found several spots on the camper where they failed to put caulk. Any particular caulk that you would recommend?
Old 03-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #9

Good if its under warranty however you must know how to maintain your seals and know what to look for. I only take my rv to the dealer as the last resort - they are good but not perfect so as the owner its in your best interest to know how to maintain it and the regular maintenance that is required.
Mohawk Luxury Vinyl Plank Flooring
2013 AWD Acadia Denali, Blue Ox Equipped
ChrisParise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Should the outside rubber seal that is attached to the camper, the one that is vertical on the side of the slide out, be caulked all the way from top to bottom? It seems like it has a very thin line of caulk from the factory, and may not be thick enough. I'm not sure if water can get behind there or not. I have found several spots on the camper where they failed to put caulk. Any particular caulk that you would recommend?
The roof seams are only warrantied for 90 days now.
This has become a new thing over the past 5 or 6 years. So a new owner needs to inspect the caulking before that 90 days passes, if they want it warrantied. That's why a buyer needs to inspect the roof seams before accepting the RV.
Old 03-03-2021, 02:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Troubleshooting can be difficult but I think rockdodger is spot on IF it is an issue with how the slide sits in the tracks or housing. Just make sure your unit is level when you do this. If your slide has a kitchen in it or your kitchen is near the slide look for a water line leak from a pinch or kink in the line or freezing problem or a plain old defect. In all cases have your dealer fix it under warranty or have him pay a mobile tech to troubleshoot.
bzac1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:04 PM   #12

I have slide toppers but still got a leak in our back slide. I inspected all the rubber and the caulking everything looked fine. Then I measured the slide when extended, side from side and found one side was out almost two inches more than the other. I located the motors and balanced it so each side extended the same, no more leak. Sadly, I dd not catch it in time and needed to replace the molding around the bed slide, using wood this time and not paper mache.
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:24 PM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
I have a leak coming from the wall that is just to the left of my slide out. It only leaks when the slide out is open. Being that it is about 3 in to the left of the actual slide out, I can't find where it is coming from. It is coming in from underneath the small piece of vertical trim on the wall. There are some black and white wires that I can see from the bottom of the trim, but I have not taken the trim off. I have attached a picture from a few days ago when it was raining here. When the slide is closed, it does not leak. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It is a 2021 282 qbxl. We have not even been able to use the camper yet and it has been nothing but trouble so far.

VaCamper1,

Thank you for being a part of the Wildwood family.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences that you have experienced with your new X-Lite. Your satisfaction is very important to us; accordingly, we invite you to contact Miranda Blackburn in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: https://www.forestriverinc.com/Direc...03844449714294.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 04:24 PM   #14

Was it difficult to readjust the slide, to even out the distance?
Old 03-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #15

Water Leak & Insulation

If you have a leak I would anticipate the insulation is wet and will cause premature rot.
Ask me how I know.
Cold Lake Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #16

Yes on the slide topper,, BUT GET THAT LEAK FIXED FIRST. If you get a topper make SURE it extends further past the slide walls or you will get rain on the slide roof anyhow. The topper roof dealers are very good at what exact size you need. You tube the tops. You tube,,you tube,, you tube!! Everything before you buy. Also get the one with the metal wrap around when its closed. Protects it very well.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #17

Sounds to me like you have a slide seal issue. Keep them slide seals maintained very well and lubed. If they stick to each other when closed, you could possibily rip them apart. Make sure the "TAPE" on the outer slide lip does not have exposed sticky side of tape exposed or that will cause problems. That upper outside horizontal seal above your slide could be a MAJOR PITA if it gets ripped. Take care of them!! You can buy slide seal lube spray on just for those seals. You wont regret it.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #18

Thank you guys for the responses. I truly appreciate it. Im brand new to all of this. Im going to email forest river as well. I ordered a solera slide topper too, to the tune of $525.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:

is your tt level?
campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #20

Its tilted a little bit to the rear actually. I didn't know if it was best to do that, to let the rain run off.

Tags
leak