Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #1

Leaking slide

The slide out in our 2018 Wildwood leaks on the bottom right corner (corner closets to front of camper) when it is pulled in. Looked like caulk on that corner was crumbling so I recaulked it. Seemed to be working. Went camping. Had lots of rain, no issues. Go back to camper 4 days later, floor and slide out around that corner are wet. Can’t figure it out. Please provide suggestions. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:05 AM   #2

Hmmmm. So this only happens when the slide is pulled in but not when it's out?
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #3
Site Team

My slide can seep both when in or out even tho the seals look good. I found that if I park it just -slightly- low on the slide side it stops.
I'm talking the bubble is just touching the line rather than exactly in the middle between the lines.
(bubble would be touching the line towards entry side since our slide is other side from entry door.)
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapelape View Post
The slide out in our 2018 Wildwood leaks on the bottom right corner (corner closets to front of camper) when it is pulled in. Looked like caulk on that corner was crumbling so I recaulked it. Seemed to be working. Went camping. Had lots of rain, no issues. Go back to camper 4 days later, floor and slide out around that corner are wet. Can’t figure it out. Please provide suggestions. Thanks.

Look at the top of the slide and see the position of the top 'flap' and the side 'flap'. If the side flap at the top is over the top flap, then water will be channeled down the inside of the whole side flap. Make sure that the top flap is over the top of the slide flap, this will channel down the out side. Bringing your slide in and out a few times over time, may have changed the position of the flaps as the flap drags along the slide and you may not have noticed that the arrangement has changed and what will happen because of this change.

Also, have your slide side have a halve bubble tilt to the slide side. With rain hitting the top of the slide, you want this water running to the edges. If your unit is 'true' or slightly tilted to the non slide side, water will build up on the slide roof and 'find' a way to infiltrate to the inside. A 'slide' is never truly 'sealed', so you must find a way to direct the water coming at your unit.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
My slide can seep both when in or out even tho the seals look good. I found that if I park it just -slightly- low on the slide side it stops.
I'm talking the bubble is just touching the line rather than exactly in the middle between the lines.
(bubble would be touching the line towards entry side since our slide is other side from entry door.)

Interesting. I thought about making sure the camper tilts slightly back when in storage. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Look at the top of the slide and see the position of the top 'flap' and the side 'flap'. If the side flap at the top is over the top flap, then water will be channeled down the inside of the whole side flap. Make sure that the top flap is over the top of the slide flap, this will channel down the out side. Bringing your slide in and out a few times over time, may have changed the position of the flaps as the flap drags along the slide and you may not have noticed that the arrangement has changed and what will happen because of this change.

Also, have your slide side have a halve bubble tilt to the slide side. With rain hitting the top of the slide, you want this water running to the edges. If your unit is 'true' or slightly tilted to the non slide side, water will build up on the slide roof and 'find' a way to infiltrate to the inside. A 'slide' is never truly 'sealed', so you must find a way to direct the water coming at your unit.

Are you talking about when the slide is in or out on both of these?
Old 05-03-2019, 09:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
Hmmmm. So this only happens when the slide is pulled in but not when it's out?

Yes. As far as I can see. I wondered if rain water was trapped when the slide was out and leaked inside once it was closed, but would there still be water and moisture on the slide and floor 4 days later?
Old 05-03-2019, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post

Also, is this what you do when the slide is in or out?
Old 05-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #9

I think Brother Les hit the nail on the head.

One other thing that might help you is a Slide Topper but even if you do decide to get one, you should make sure this problem is solved without one.

https://www.campingworld.com/black-s...RoCthUQAvD_BwE

Other benefit of the slide topper is not having to worry about any leaves or branches that might make their way on top of your slide..
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:16 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfishing View Post
I think Brother Les hit the nail on the head.

One other thing that might help you is a Slide Topper but even if you do decide to get one, you should make sure this problem is solved without one.

https://www.campingworld.com/black-s...RoCthUQAvD_BwE

Other benefit of the slide topper is not having to worry about any leaves or branches that might make their way on top of your slide..

Yes, I need one of those.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #11

When my slide was leaking it was the bottom corner trim. Slight gap in the caulk and it was funneling the water right in. The dealer could not find the leak after 4 try’s. We were camping one day when it started raining and my wife found where it was coming in. It took me 15 minutes to fix what the “professional “ could not. I found that checking the plastic skis on all the bottom slide corners and sealing them it fixed a couple leaks as well.
Tfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide