Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #1

Lippert 643150 hydraulic slide system

Looking for replacement motor for hydraulic slide out pump or some wheres that can repair motor. Slide operated in out position buy wont work coming in. Was able to bypass solenoid to test motor and it turns one direction but not the other. Thanks
bullet13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #2

Strange that if the motor runs in one direction and doesn't run in the other direction i.e. same wires only reversing polarity. Oh well.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #3

Does the system have hydraulic valves or does it just reverse the pump. Some models of the Lippert system have either or. If it is the system without hydraulic valves than the reversing relay is not working if it has valves than valve not working.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 04:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
Does the system have hydraulic valves or does it just reverse the pump. Some models of the Lippert system have either or. If it is the system without hydraulic valves than the reversing relay is not working if it has valves than valve not working.
He said he bypassed the motor control solenoid (trombetta) and therefore the system utilizes a reversible motor. If he googles with his post heading,("Lippert 643150 hydraulic slide system") purchase sources will be shown.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #5

I have looked up the Lippert 643150 and have found motor for 750 to 800 dollars. Didn't know if there was an after market replacement or someone that repairs DC motors. The motor has 2 terminals. Each turns motor in different directions which works pump that moves slides in or out. Have looked up on how to trouble shoot issue to determine if its the motor or solenoid and have found the issue is with motor in one direction only.
bullet13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:08 PM   #6

I have not had issues with my hydraulics so I'm useless for best action on the motor. Maybe someone will chime in with help for you. Sorry. If need be you have pulled the slides back in manually, yes?
Old 03-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet13 View Post
Looking for replacement motor for hydraulic slide out pump or some wheres that can repair motor. Slide operated in out position buy wont work coming in. Was able to bypass solenoid to test motor and it turns one direction but not the other. Thanks

I would bet there is someone in your area that repairs/rebuilds 12 volt motors. Ask around for a starter repair shop. We have two in our area and about a dozen in a 50 mile radius. One of them should be able to help. Good luck and let us know what you find out.
AFDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:30 AM   #8

If you planned on doing the work yourself you probably would need to pull the motor. So just pull it and take it to an electric motor repair shop. They should be able to diagnose and fix any problem. Once they see the motor and its specs, they could probably even suggest alternative motors if yours ends up being un-fixable. I have never known a repair shop that couldn't/didn't also sell new.

I found several in your area with a quick google of "electric motor repair near Centerville, La"
There are a couple in Lafayette, but be careful. One has 5 star reviews - the other is 1 star.
All three of the shops that popped up in Baton Rouge were either 4 or 5 stars.

You could also google something specific like "electric motor repair in _____(any city you want)"
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #9

Sorry how ever did he bypass the solenoid (which could be a bad solenoid) or did he reverse the leads as the motor should run either way only reversed I have never seen a two lead dc motor that would run only in one direction. If it is running in reverse and still only pumping in one direction would mean that the pump internals have gotten some dirt or something in it that is preventing the mechanism from changing the flow of oil. In that case he would need a new pump.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet13 View Post
I had this exact thing happen to me over the weekend, except it would work in the in direction only. It's been "chattering" for a while and it finally quit completely this weekend. Solenoid tested perfect; you could hear the solenoid clicking and a test with a multimeter showed zero volts between the solenoid lugs when switch depressed, battery voltage when switch released.

I pulled the motor off to inspect. It's pretty easy to remove using the two bolts at the end of the motor. They pass all the way through the motor and screw into the pump housing. Be careful when removing it as the motor will separate into it's various pieces, and there's an internal coupler that connects the motor and the pump - don't lose that.

I removed the cap of the motor where the two power lugs are. On the backside are 4 brushes: 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions. There are two brushes per direction, each opposing the other. For example, the 12 and 6 o'clock brushes are for one direction and the 3 and 9 are for the other direction.

I tested all brushes with a multimeter and had good connectivity between each brush and the power lug on the motor housing. However, in my case I noted that one of the brushes for the out direction wasn't springing back up all the way. The cause was the proctective sheath around the wire was hung up on the plastic piece that holds the brush in place. For the other 3 brushes, that sheath was trimmed back past the plastic housing.

I trimmed the sheathing and put it all back together and it seems to have fixed the issue. I cycled in and out on the slides and the leveling jacks numerous times throughout the day and it's worked better than it did previously.

If you're going to remove the motor anyway to replace it, I would check the brushes per the above first. In your case, if it turns in one direction then everything is functional with the rotating pieces. I would say there's a high likelihood of a brush issue. After inspecting it, I can see how it would be possible for one of the brushes to become disconnected or wear out over time. After repairing mine, I did some research on brushes; turns out you can buy a replacement kit for about $15. Just search part number br687800.

Hopefully everything in my explanation makes sense. I didn't think to snap any pictures when I had it torn apart, but I did find this picture on the internet of the Lippert motor torn apart. You can see the brushes are up out of their plastic keepers. They should be slide into the slots where the springs are. This guy was having the same issue: only work in one direction. He replaced the brushes with the kit above (you can see the bottom right in the picture is shot) and I think it fixed his issue.

Sorry for the long post, let me know if anything is unclear...
Attached Images

2018 Keystone Avalanche 396BH
2018 Ford F-350
SydKad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic, slide