Old 05-15-2020, 10:44 AM   #1

Lippert Hydraulic pump leaking

Good Morning,

I have a 2004 Forest River Cardinal and the slide pump is leaking in right where the reservoir meets the motor. I took the reservoir off and cleaned around it and cleaned the O-ring with no luck, it still leaks.

I understand this is a common problem with these. I have ordered a new O-ring, with a little more thickness and am waiting for it to arrive.

Just wondering if anyone had any other ideas on how to stop this, without paying the $1200 to replace the entire pump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Kanaydian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #2

Will I am not sure by what you mean a little more thickness? Is this the cross sectional area you are talking about? If so, the joint is still going to leak.

Why? The O-ring joint is designed for a certain size cross sectional area of an O-ring plus the inside and outside diameters. When I was designing hydraulic systems each port size was standard for a given O-ring size. What I would change was the material of the O-ring substituting Neoprene instead of BUNA-N or a different material depending on the nature of the median IE diesel-Gas or Hydraulic fluid.

Since your unit is a 2004 and it is now 2020, that is a pretty good life period for an O-ring in use. I was simple replace the existing O-ring with the same style and material. Why look for another issue by using an incorrect O-ring?

Just my $0.02
BTW I only did this for 40 years on and off at CAT.

Old 05-15-2020, 11:35 AM   #3

Was doing a bit of research before I found these forums and another person and mentioned that they called Lippert and the rep had recommended a new pump but to also try a O-ring that is slightly larger in cross section. So I figured this was a cheap thing to try.

I took the O-ring into a shop to find a replacement, they didnt have one in stock for it but mentioned that the O-ring looked to be in good shape and they didnt think that was the issue.

If it is not the O-ring, what would you suggest I try, as opposed to swapping out the entire unit?

Thanks Jim
Kanaydian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Kanaydian,

We would be happy to assist you with this question regarding a leak in your hydraulic pump. Please contact Rod Batts in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: https://www.forestriverinc.com/Direc...51478123385119.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River
ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #5
Weekender

Had same problem about 18 months ago. Purchased new 'O' ring ( same as original size ), carefully disassembled unit, dried all surfaces, carefully reassembled and haven't experienced any leaking since. Only took a couple of hours. Could have been a very messy job, but just had to make sure that we evacuated the reservoir first. Piece of cake!
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaydian View Post
Was doing a bit of research before I found these forums and another person and mentioned that they called Lippert and the rep had recommended a new pump but to also try a O-ring that is slightly larger in cross section. So I figured this was a cheap thing to try.

I took the O-ring into a shop to find a replacement, they didnt have one in stock for it but mentioned that the O-ring looked to be in good shape and they didnt think that was the issue.

If it is not the O-ring, what would you suggest I try, as opposed to swapping out the entire unit?

Thanks Jim
Sorry; I have not responded sooner but I am usually on one once a day and I was busies this morning.

First I would check your O-ring very carefully for tiny cracks or a nick in the O-ring. Another issue they do age out. As was mentioned in another post clean all surfaces and check for scratches in the surface. Use a piece of clean dry cloth and wipe the sealing surfaces dry. A micro fiber towel is great for this. Now when you are reassembling this with the new O-ring do not roll or twist the O-ring when reinstalling it. This will damage the O-ring, they are hard to get on sometimes but it can be done. I would also use the fluid that is used in the pump to lubricate the O-ring when you install the new one.
Good Luck and let us know how the fix went.

Tags
hydraulic, leak, pump