Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #1

Long Term Slideout Question

We are staying at one campsite for three months in Florida this winter in our 2021 Sunseeker 3050s motorhome. It has one long slide out on the driver side. Is there anything special I need to do in terms of maintenance? Is it necessary to pull the slide in and back out periodically? Is there some kind of lubrication I need to apply to slide mechanisms?

I do run the generator about 5 minutes every two weeks, and I put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank.

Thanks in advance!
RoadKill Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:40 AM   #2
Site Team

https://www.protectall.com/shop/slide-out-bundle/

I use this stuff on the rubber seals (red bottle) and the gears on the bottom of the slide (blue bottle).

It wouldn't hurt to run the slides in/out every so often but it's not completely necessary IMO.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
Camping the Natural State

Slide out that long I would want a jack stand under it.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Slide out that long I would want a jack stand under it.
Definitely not recommended.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #5
Camping the Natural State

Why not recommended. That’s why they make them for the slideouts. Long term setup.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Why not recommended. That’s why they make them for the slideouts. Long term setup.
Because if your trailer sinks at all or even has a flat tire, the stands will likely damage your slide.

We've had many discussions about this over the years here as well.
Old 02-10-2021, 11:29 AM   #7

I believe most manufacters recommend not using slide out supports, if you happen to have a tire go flat or the rv becomes unbalanced while set up it "could" place excess stress on the slideout.
2019 Hemisphere GLX 273RL Sold
Teamster4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:35 AM   #8

Quote:
A strong wind can rock your camper and cause damage to the slide if you have jacks under it. I saw that happen to my neighbor's trailer while at a music festival in Kansas. The slide needs to move in unison with any movement of the rest of the body of your RV, be it a trailer or motorhome.
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #9
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKill Bill View Post
We are staying at one campsite for three months in Florida this winter in our 2021 Sunseeker 3050s motorhome. It has one long slide out on the driver side. Is there anything special I need to do in terms of maintenance? Is it necessary to pull the slide in and back out periodically? Is there some kind of lubrication I need to apply to slide mechanisms?

I do run the generator about 5 minutes every two weeks, and I put fuel stabilizer in the gas tank.

Thanks in advance!
No need to move the slide over the period of your stay. I would be sure to clean any moving parts before closing after all that time.

You don’t do your generator any favours just starting up for 5 minutes every 2 weeks. Better to leave it be for the duration. If you run it, it needs to be under load and run for at least an hour or two, every other month. Good long run or no run. Your choice.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:12 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Every RV manufacturer warns against doing this and will void the warranty if any issues result from using them.
Slideout supports are holdovers from the early days of slideouts, when the tech was new and they had problems.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #11

I would periodically check the seals, especially after a storm with strong winds. Do not use any stands for the slides.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenandterry View Post
You don’t do your generator any favours just starting up for 5 minutes every 2 weeks. .
x2. EXCEPT... the manufacturer of our onboard ONAN says to run it for 20 minutes every month. They recommend starting it with a light load, then gradually add appliances and lights to get to a full load.
The generator needs to run for a period of time to lubricate the parts. Read the manual for how to care for your unit.
As to the slide, we don't have one, so I don't know.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
https://www.protectall.com/shop/slide-out-bundle/

I use this stuff on the rubber seals (red bottle) and the gears on the bottom of the slide (blue bottle).

It wouldn't hurt to run the slides in/out every so often but it's not completely necessary IMO.
X2^^ on the lube. I use both also

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:58 AM   #14

We leave our slideouts out all year since we're stationary in a campground and no supports used. I found a leak after the winter 1 year with the slide outs in! I now leave them out and have had no leaks so far for the last 2 winters. If the water/snow has somewhere to go, then to leaks you say no. If water gets behind the seals(and I lubed them before the winter), It will find a way into the trailer...
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadKill Bill View Post

Thanks in advance!

This year aside ( covid) we've spent the last 9 years doing what you're planning to do. So in the same order of your questions here's our thoughts

The only maintenance we do is, on a monthly basis, treat the rubber seals with something that prevents sun damage specifically marine grade Aerospace .

We do not pull the slides in except when we're ready to leave. I do think it's a good idea to clean and lube the mechanism possibly when you start getting ready to break camp and head home .

We do not add stabilizer to gas the nor do we run the generator . We generally try to arrive with about a quarter tank of fuel and fill up with fresh gas shortly after we leave.

I would point out that , if you can, find out from others on the forum that have the same rv , u tube , slide maker etc how to lubricate your brand of slides
Nomore9-5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide