Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2021, 03:09 PM   #1

Slide-out Hydraulic Ram Is Rubbing The Cross Shaft

Hi all,

On my 2017 Cedar Creek Hathaway 36CKTS, I noticed the hydraulic ram on the living room slide-out is touching the cross shaft when the slide is fully extended. I watched it as the slide was retracted for a foot or so. As the ram retracted it was making contact with the cross shaft. When the slide is fully retracted, there is about 1/2" of clearance between the ram and the cross shaft.

I did not notice any obvious problem with the slide-out extending and retracting prior to discovering this. Since then I stopped using it.

Recently the gear pack and roller wheels on the cross shaft were replaced on this slide-out, due to cracks in the roller wheels. The slide-out was also adjusted. I think the adjustment resulted in the ram shaft nut being in a different position, thus the shiny threads and one inch gap. I don't suspect a connection, but it seems to be pertinent information.

It seems to me the hydraulic ram will get damaged while retracting/extending, from rubbing the cross shaft as it is rotating , leading to scratches on the shiny part of the hydraulic ram that mates to a seal, leading to a leak.

Or am I overreacting?

I don't have a Cedar Creek dealer nearby, so I am thinking of taking it to a Montana dealer.

Has anyone experienced this?
Any advice on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Living Room Slideout 2 - rotated.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	265919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Living Room Slideout 3 - rotated.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	265920   Click image for larger version

Name:	Living Room Slideout 4 Ram is touching cross shaft - rotated w photos.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	357.1 KB
ID:	265921  
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB B&W Continuum Hitch
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #2
Site Team

It's hard to tell from pictures posted, but it looks like the cylinder has dropped down. Can you get some pics of the cylinder and mounting?
Old 11-05-2022, 02:10 PM   #3

OP here. Here is a follow up to the problem. Better late than never.

Short version: The hydraulic ram was bent.

Long version: I took it to Camping World in West Boylston MA , which used to be Flagg RV, a long time Cedar Creek dealer.

Here is what the invoice said:

Complaint: Living room hydraulic ram is touching the draw bar.

Cause: Put room out noticed nut in bolt for drive bar was too long and pushing up against our replaced it its smaller more appropriate nut and bolt then adjust room up so ram not hitting drive bar piston is bent. Living room piston is bent.

Correction: New 42 inch piston needed. Replaced Piston.

Parts 240.00 + total labor 636.00 + freight, supplies 264.18, + tax 31.54, total 1172.25

A few months prior to noticing the problem, that slide-out had both gear pack assemblies replaced and the slide-out was adjusted at a repair shop in Indiana near the factory.

I can't but wonder if the gear pack replacement and slide-out room adjustment led to the bent hydraulic piston.

I hope this follow up helps someone else.
2024 Winnebago Minnie 2327TB B&W Continuum Hitch
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 08:09 AM   #4
Site Team

Thanks for coming back and letting us know what the problem was and what ultimately caused it. We like hearing the outcome even if it takes a while.

Tags
slide, hydraulic, ram