Old 02-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #1

Lubrication frequency.

This will be the third year for our camping outings. I am to the point I no longer want to climb onto the roof. So...I pay to have the roof inspected and to have everything that needs lubricated, lubed. I do this first thing in the spring before the season begins. Think I am overdoing it? When I purchased the tt, I got the extended warranty. So if I have the dealer service it, I figure if something goes wrong, they can't turn around and blame me. Plus, the peace of mind know it has been serviced. Whatcha think?

Old 02-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #2

Unless I'm missing something.....I cannot think of anything that needs to be lubricated on the roof other than maybe some antenna/dish mechanisms. The A/C units should all be sealed and not require lubrication. Now inspecting the roof....that's a different matter. Always good to check the roof, the sealant, etc. So if you don't want to climb on the roof for inspection and maybe some sealant needs, nothing wrong with a good ole annual inspection and maybe even a cleaning and roof treatment from a 3rd party.

I'm not a big fan of going up on my RV roof as well. That first step (some 13 feet) can be a doozy. But what has helped me is I have a 12' step ladder that I use instead of the vertical RV ladder. Makes getting up and down so much easier for me.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:16 PM   #3
Multi-Slacker

As long as you trust the people doing the servicing to do it right then hiring people to do it is fine. I cannot climb to the roof due to a disability so I have to depend on folks to do it for me. I, too, prefer to these things on an annual basis,
2018 Silverado 2500 HD 6.0L, 4:10 rear
CurtPutnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
FLY4FUN

Dealer Servicing...

Yep -- if you have a good, dependable dealer/shop to do the work it's a great way to use the RV and put maintenance worries aside. Do they service the wheel bearings annually, also?
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #5

Ok. Sorry for the confusion. Was typing and thinking at the same time. lol. I guess what I was trying to say, I have the roof inspected annually. I also have everything that needs lubed, done also annually. Just making sure I'm not overdoing it.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbnt18 View Post
Ok. Sorry for the confusion. Was typing and thinking at the same time. lol. I guess what I was trying to say, I have the roof inspected annually. I also have everything that needs lubed, done also annually. Just making sure I'm not overdoing it.
That depends on so many things, it’s impossible to answer. The maintenance intervals would be dependent on how the unit is used. Is the unit stored indoors or out? Is it out on the road 8 months of the year, or a half dozen weekend outings?

I think the maintenance intervals depend on the usage, not just the fact that the earth went one rotation around the sun.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindBars View Post
That depends on so many things, it’s impossible to answer. The maintenance intervals would be dependent on how the unit is used. Is the unit stored indoors or out? Is it out on the road 8 months of the year, or a half dozen weekend outings?

I think the maintenance intervals depend on the usage, not just the fact that the earth went one rotation around the sun.
^^^^^^ What he said................................... Do I have the wheel bearings packed every year, or anything else lubed annually, the simple answer is..... no.

5 Trailers over 35 years................. Annually for our needs No! ! ...... any issues due to this No!

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 10:35 PM   #8

Okay, so what is your maint schedule?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
^^^^^^ What he said................................... Do I have the wheel bearings packed every year, or anything else lubed annually, the simple answer is..... no.

5 Trailers over 35 years................. Annually for our needs No! ! ...... any issues due to this No!

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat