Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #1

Minor Issue on Bedroom Slide

Wow - after reading through the list of posts in this category, I feel bad about even posting my questions. I have a 2008 Georgetown and the lower seal keeps getting pulled about half way off when I open it. I usually just reach under and stick the seal back in place and not worry about it but today, I thought let me see if I can figure out why it keeps doing it. I usually wipe the seals down once a year with a seal lube too. As I start looking, I have this white goo all over the upper part of the seal and underneath the slide edge I finally figure out that it's the caulking that was used to seal the seam. Problem is, the sheetmetal on the bottom of the slide never had the plastic protection covering removed when the coach was built so they caulked right over the top of it. So now the protective plastic is starting to come loose and the caulking is coming with it. It's sticky stuff so when the slide is back in it's normal place, the caulk is attaching to the rubber seal.

I'm wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and if so, what you did to repair it. I'm thinking of cutting the plastic right along the seam and then re-caulking it to seal it and capture the edge of the plastic. Or would I be better off to remove the plastic entirely or should I take something like Gorilla Tape and just go over top of it?

The other issue is the side walls of the slides front and back. The bedroom one isn't too much of a deal, but I have cleaned all of them multiple times but after a few uses of the slides, I end up junk all over the walls again. It's annoying as the center slide when it's in has these wall exposed to the interior of the RV and it looks nasty. Other than continuing to clean them, I can't figure out where the mess is coming from - any ideas?
chas54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:29 AM   #2

Had a chance to work on this yesterday and decided to cut along the seam with a razor knife and remove the caulking. The caulking was a non-leveling lap sealant type. With all of that removed, I used a bit of mineral spirits on a clean rag to wipe off any remaining dirt and debris. As this is a metal to metal seam joint, I am using a long term exterior silicone caulk to reseal it. I have let it sit now for almost 24 hours and will put the seal back in place, lubricate it and see how it works out.
chas54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, bedroom, bedroom slide, roo, slide