Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2020, 04:23 PM   #1

New to forum. Can I ask questions here?

Purchased 2011 Forest River Cedar Creek Cottage cfk back in April. I have issue with slide. With the recent hurricane threat to Florida I wanted to pull in the slides. Only 1 of 3 came in. The other 2 seemed to moved a tiny bit and stop. I have one button for all 3 slides and they come in one at a time. I then tried a few times to put back out the slide that worked to try and reset the system. The bedroom slide comes in first and it worked however the other 2 will not. I realize there is a manual way with drill however prefer to try to maintain as things come along. The awning also will no longer come out. I can hear a noise and even tried to pull lightly in fear of breaking I stopped. Any help is appreciated.

Plugged in full time.
Thank you.
Dawns1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:36 PM   #2
Multi-Slacker

Welcome from SoCal!
Watching to see what the experts say - sounds like a solenoid issue to me.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:33 PM   #3

Not expert, basic

Any number of things but start with easy ones first with voltmeter and clean battery posts. Be careful to note if you have extra wires connected to battery that they go back to same post. Start easy, clean negative or ground cable connection to frame. Take a picture before taking any wires off so that you can place them back in same place. Check battery charge. Good Luck. Welcome to forum.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
Site Team

If your slides are hydraulic have you checked the fluid level in the resevoir.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If your slides are hydraulic have you checked the fluid level in the resevoir.

The OP says one move in. As it moves in, the reservoir will start filling up so the others should have ample fluid to move.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:36 PM   #6

IS the battery fully charged or on shore power? Sounds like a low power issue to me

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:23 AM   #7

I checked fluid. Plugged in full time. Reading steps about multi meter, it has so many settings. Do I have to unplug the rv when testing with multimeter? Now my roof is leaking ...thought this would be easier to maintain then house. Over time I’ll enjoy learning.
Dawns1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Reading steps about multi meter, it has so many settings
only 3 basic settings and one of those you can ignore... current or AMPS

volts and ohms are the two most used ones... and volts is the most used. For RV usage you are going to most likely be looking to measure 12 VOLTS DC, so the settings are DC, VOLTS, and the next highest range UP from 12, most likely 200...

YOUTUBE can be your valuable teacher here... goto youtube and search MULTIMETER BASICS and pick from a dozen tutorials

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawns1111 View Post
thought this would be easier to maintain then house.
Ha, no way!
They're generally cheaper overall though than a house, but I don't think they are "easier" to maintain.
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:07 AM   #10

If you haven't solved problem by now, suggest you spend time at cedar creek sub-forum here where I noticed similar problem and solution similar to yours regarding slide-outs. Still basics but shows more specific solution shared by others. Hope it helps.
updhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 05:04 PM   #11

Great advice updhaul. Great advise. I changed out my batteries and connected one of the wires to the wrong post. No consequence there other than racking my brain for the next month trying to remedy my electric step issue. I was shown the simple fix. In this case, a picture was worth $500. It never occurred to me that my problem started after I installed the new batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by updhaul View Post
Any number of things but start with easy ones first with voltmeter and clean battery posts. Be careful to note if you have extra wires connected to battery that they go back to same post. Start easy, clean negative or ground cable connection to frame. Take a picture before taking any wires off so that you can place them back in same place. Check battery charge. Good Luck. Welcome to forum.
michiganian7412 is offline   Reply With Quote