Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2021, 12:54 PM   #1

Newbe (me) closed main slide-out on the rear door of my 08 Sandpiper

OK while showing off my new (used 2008) Sandpiper, I closed the main slide-out on the rear door (the "stop was broken), allowing the slide out to hit the door, when it was retracted and two things happened. The door was bent (not too bad), but the lower hinge was bent badly. I need to know where I can get a replacement hinge, the damaged one is not going to be easy to fix. Second, when the slide-out grabbed the rear door, the rear rack & pinion skipped a couple of teeth, and will not close flush (a 1 1/2 to 2 inch gap). There has to be a way to get it back aligned, where even I could fix the issue.

I would take it to a dealer, but it is up on a hillside, way back in the woods, and I have no truck to pull the 5th wheel.

I am a novias, but you would think that the engineering department would have allowed a design to keep this from happening. At the end of the day, my bad.

Help
dmbogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 12:59 PM   #2

Find/hire a friend with a 5th wheel tow setup to get it to a dealer.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
Site Team

That unit should have a thru-frame slide (pictures would help), so you can disconnect the gearset on the side that skipped and turn the gears until the slide is equal on both sides and reconnect the gearset.

You might also be able to take a pry bar and 'skip' the rack back in place if you're careful.

Pictures of the hinge would help too.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:29 PM   #4

I will try to get some images, I have the exterior slide, but not from underneath. Getting a door hinge?

Marty
Old 07-17-2021, 04:46 PM   #5

Images of Hinge

The first one is the damaged hinge, the FR-2a is a good one from the front door.

No images of the slide-out mechanism

Marty
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FR-1a.pdf (49.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: pdf FR-2a.pdf (73.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 07-18-2021, 08:23 PM   #6

You are not the only one to close your slide onto a door and messed something up inside.

I have done it myself so your not alone.
x-splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbogart View Post
OK while showing off my new (used 2008) Sandpiper, I closed the main slide-out on the rear door (the "stop was broken), allowing the slide out to hit the door, when it was retracted ...

I am a novias, but you would think that the engineering department would have allowed a design to keep this from happening.

Help
If I understand your post correctly, the Engineering Department did have a design to keep it from happening. They put a "stop" on it. I used to try product liability lawsuits and saw this over and over. Your experience should serve as a warning to everyone here when using their RVs or any piece of machinery. Manufacturers put stops, guards, shields and all manner of other protective devices on their products for a reason. If you disconnect or remove them, or continue to use the equipment when they are broken, you do so at your own risk and sooner or later it will bite you in the a--.

Tags
door, sandpiper, slide