Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2023, 03:06 PM   #1

One side of slide out catching floor

Good day all. Currently on the road with my 2019 Salem 27RKS. This unit has one large slide out. This is a flush slide out that retracts to be just above floor level, then drops down during the last part of its travel to be flush with the floor. Last stop I noticed that one end of the slideout is catching the floor. If was just crumpling up the carpet so didn’t think too much of it.

This stop, when we put out the slideout, the bottom edge caught the floor and has caused some significant damage to the facing of the slideout on that side. Now very hesitant to try and fully extend the slideout.

From my research so far, I have a lippert rack and pinion slide mechanism (most like a “2 x 2 electric through frame slideout”.

Any thoughts as to what’s causing this and how to fix?

Thanks!
Millsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:10 PM   #2

See if this video is helpful

markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 03:28 PM   #3

Thanks, will attempt a vertical adjustment once the penetrating oil settles in… although there’re was no mention of my specific issue.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:31 PM   #4

There several on you tube about the Lippert system, I just picked that one to post, you might take a look.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:51 PM   #5

Are you hearing a clicking sound when you go in or out? Like a gear is skipping?
Old 03-24-2023, 04:33 PM   #6

Thanks for responding. No clicking sounds, no abnormal behavior at all, it’s just like the one side of the slideout had dropped an inch or two, causing it to catch the floor.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:00 PM   #7

Only other thing I would say to look at is the gear pack for that side.
Where the large steel rail is, next to the frame of the rv is a gear that the track rides on.
Might take a look and see if you broke it or lost a bearing there.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:27 PM   #8

I have same type of slide. There is a "ramp" like piece ar each corner, hidden under carpet, that catches the bevel on the inside edge of slide frame and lifts it so the floor can now move freely into the trailer.

Piece may be broken or missing. Carpet can be lifted and if it's like mine, just stapled down.

If your slide is a "flush floor" type the floor at the inside is supported by slide frame and floor on the corner "ramp brackets" and a metal strip on bottom of slide opening.

The rollers support the rails that support the outside end of the slide and height adjustments at ends just center slide "room" in opening when retracted.

Unless the video on the Lippert site has been changed it shows an above floor slide, not flush floor. Different slide geometry and some adjustments shown don't work with flush-floor which became very apparent when I practically rebuilt my slide 2 seasons ago.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 06:52 PM   #9

Thanks TitanMike! I will check it out- my slide is a flush floor type as i described in my OP (and as you have). Any insight then into why I would suddenly see this behaviour? Has something worn out/fallen off? I will compare to the othe end of the slideout to see any difference.
Old 04-05-2023, 05:19 PM   #10
Slide out master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millsb View Post
Thanks TitanMike! I will check it out- my slide is a flush floor type as i described in my OP (and as you have). Any insight then into why I would suddenly see this behaviour? Has something worn out/fallen off? I will compare to the othe end of the slideout to see any difference.
You are prolly seeing this know because as time goes on and we use our slides the bolts that we tight down get loose and looser but these paticular bolts are only on one side of the slide on the other side of slide are welded so when it gets loos that allows it to go out father then the other side which I. Turn will make the floor catch when the slide is all the way out go on the out side of the coach and take a measure meant o. Each side from the glass to the metal t-rail or that so u can see if the slide is coming out square or not but if I were to guess I’m guessing g one side will come out 1/4 to 3/8 of inch father then the other side
caosoccer2729 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, floor, slide, slide out