Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2022, 09:50 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offspring22 View Post
So we have a 2021 26BHHL with a slide. Packed up at our seasonal site today and took out the battery to bring home and throw on a tender. Though we don't plan on towing it anywhere anytime in the next couple of years so was thinking of just not having a battery in the unit. Only to discover the side won't work without a battery in even though we were hooked up to shore power.

Any way around that? Blows my mind that I need a battery in. We hope to use it a few times over the winter, but that would mean having my battery in the unit when it's -20c or worse. Would love to not have a battery at all.

Thanks!
On my Roo 233S the dinette slide works fine without a battery. Make sure your battery disconnect is connected (and your hot battery lead is taped up or otherwise insulated to avoid a short). The converter should have enough power to do it. On my trailer the slide takes its power from the battery cable, I believe.

2014 Roo 233S
2023 Silverado 1500 Crew cab, 2.7L 4 cyl.
Oneonta NY
V8s4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:24 AM   #22
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
Why not just leave the battery connected and on the trailer? If shore power is available, keep it connected so the converter will maintain the battery and any parasitic demands.

Although our TT stays here at the house in TN, I keep shore power connected. I find no reason to remove the battery even when the trailer is winterized.

Bob
We are considering leaving our battery in the trailer this winter. We have shore power that can stay on. In Ohio we could see some zero degree days though. It is a new battery. How much will it hurt being left outside with the trailer plugged in?
I have some mods I want to do in Jan. And Feb. It would be nice to not carry the battery out to do those.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:37 AM   #23

I have a seasonal site in WI for 13 years and have left my battery hooked up along with having it plugged into shore power every year without problem. Just need to replace your battery every 4 - 5 years.

Parked at a seasonal site in Wisconsin.
tsip1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:13 PM   #24
MCTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsip1958 View Post
I have a seasonal site in WI for 13 years and have left my battery hooked up along with having it plugged into shore power every year without problem. Just need to replace your battery every 4 - 5 years.
Thanks. We replace batteries every 4 years any way. I think this will be our plan.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:36 PM   #25

A fully charged wet cell battery will freeze at about MINUS 76 degrees F.
I really don't think one has anything to worry about. Besides, one shouldn't be out at -76 degrees F temperature.

Unless the battery is discharged at which point it will freeze at about 30 degrees F. Not much different than water.

Bob
Bob K4TAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 12:38 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8s4ever View Post
On my Roo 233S the dinette slide works fine without a battery. Make sure your battery disconnect is connected (and your hot battery lead is taped up or otherwise insulated to avoid a short). The converter should have enough power to do it. On my trailer the slide takes its power from the battery cable, I believe.
On most TT's, mine included, the Slide, Tongue Jack, and Power Awning, are all wired directly to the battery and often connected to the disconnect switch. Each will have it's own inline fuse, usually in a red rubber fuse holder close to it's connection point.

On mine the connections are on the downstream side of the disconnect switch so when switch is off tongue jack, awning, and slide do not work. Thinking it might be someone's idea of an anti-theft measure as the my disconnect switch has a removable "key".

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K4TAX View Post
A fully charged wet cell battery will freeze at about MINUS 76 degrees F.

Bob
This^^.
I know folks who are adamant about removing their batteries when stored during cold weather, even when they know the facts. Also, a fully charged battery that is 100% disconnected will last for months with very little discharge.
So all I can figure is that it makes folks feel better to bring the batteries in. Which is also a valid reason
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, slide