Old 04-11-2020, 12:22 PM   #1

over ride slide system

Does anyone know how powerful a drill motor I could buy for my son, if he had to over-ride the slide out rooms to put his rooms in manually? He has a 2011 360QS with hydraulic slide system, except for the bedroom pass. side which look electric. If this became necessary and is possible to do. Thanks.

strato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #2

Almost all of the newer 12V thru 20V drivers have enough power when in the low gear mode. that rig should have come with a manual slide operating tool. The main reason for using the manual tool is to keep from breaking something you can very easily overload the system with an power driver.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:09 AM   #3

over ride slide system

O.K., I wasn't aware of that fact. I'll investigate to see if he has that tool you speak of, since he is the second owner. Have you any experience with using that tool to retract the slide system, i.e. can one person complete the operation themselves, ect? Thank you.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #4

Once you relieve the pressure not the hydraulic system the slide can normally be retracted without much effort.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:36 PM   #5

over ride slide system

Do you know if this same procedure applies to the leveling jacks as well? Could they be raised with just one person as well? Thanks.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by strato View Post
Do you know if this same procedure applies to the leveling jacks as well? Could they be raised with just one person as well? Thanks.
Easily retracted manually and many have done it for years.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:25 PM   #7

Ok. I'm confused. Is the system we are talking about a hydraulic level-up system with hydraulic slides, all run with the same pump? If so, that is what I have on my fifth wheel.
There is no manual retraction system as some older RVs had, ie, a rod inserted into a hole that connects with a gearbox, for jacks or slides, as they are all hydraulic.
As the OP asked about a drill and has hydraulic slides, I assume he has a hydraulic pump, which has a hex key insertion point, that allows you to run the pump manually with a drill. By opening/closing the correct hydraulic valves (also with a hex key), you can manually extend/retract slides and leveling jacks operated by this pump. I have actually done this when I was learning my system, and was worried (as the OP) about how to operate the system if I lost all power. The drill with a hex bit into the pump works, but it is very slow. So you better have two batteries for the drill if you had to bring in all slides and jacks. I used a 20v normal drill. Worked fine.
Here is the site for Lippert master manuals. Find your leveling and slide system and it will explain more about the manual process for hydraulic pump operation.
https://support.lci1.com/master-manuals/
All that being said, in the 8 years we have had our hydraulic system (slides and level-up jacks), I have never had to use the drill method to manually operate the pump. I have had to replace some auto-reset breakers, some resettable fuses connected to the system, and one leaking hydraulic jack. Other than that, it has been very reliable.
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Ok. I'm confused. Is the system we are talking about a hydraulic level-up system with hydraulic slides, all run with the same pump? If so, that is what I have on my fifth wheel.
There is no manual retraction system as some older RVs had, ie, a rod inserted into a hole that connects with a gearbox, for jacks or slides, as they are all hydraulic.
As the OP asked about a drill and has hydraulic slides, I assume he has a hydraulic pump, which has a hex key insertion point, that allows you to run the pump manually with a drill. By opening/closing the correct hydraulic valves (also with a hex key), you can manually extend/retract slides and leveling jacks operated by this pump. I have actually done this when I was learning my system, and was worried (as the OP) about how to operate the system if I lost all power. The drill with a hex bit into the pump works, but it is very slow. So you better have two batteries for the drill if you had to bring in all slides and jacks. I used a 20v normal drill. Worked fine.
Here is the site for Lippert master manuals. Find your leveling and slide system and it will explain more about the manual process for hydraulic pump operation.
https://support.lci1.com/master-manuals/
All that being said, in the 8 years we have had our hydraulic system (slides and level-up jacks), I have never had to use the drill method to manually operate the pump. I have had to replace some auto-reset breakers, some resettable fuses connected to the system, and one leaking hydraulic jack. Other than that, it has been very reliable.

Sounds like you have the same system I do. Mine won't auto level without stopping 10 times and blowing a fuse. My slide outs are the same. They move about 6 inches at a time and eventually they will blow a fuse as well. Darn thing is driving me nuts.
JimmyShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 04:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyShine View Post
Sounds like you have the same system I do. Mine won't auto level without stopping 10 times and blowing a fuse. My slide outs are the same. They move about 6 inches at a time and eventually they will blow a fuse as well. Darn thing is driving me nuts.
I had problems with mine like that, the slides would come in part way, then stop as the auto reset circuit breaker would trip. Same with the levelling jacks. After a few seconds to reset itself, it would move again. After talking to Lippert, they said to replace my main 50 amp auto reset with an 80 amp. They have a service bulletin out on it somewhere. After doing that, I found that some of the smaller resettable CBs would trip occasionally for no apparent reason. I replaced those with new ones of the same amps as the old ones. Now I have no problems. WooHoo!
You don't say which fuse is failing over, auto reset, resettable, or blade. If it's a blade fuse, be sure to ensure your batteries are good (no dead cells). My blade fuse in power center will blow when my batteries are at end of life or very low.
Oh, if I remember right, when I talked to Lippert, they sent me the new 80amp auto reset circuit breaker for free. So it might be worth a call
Old 04-14-2020, 05:26 PM   #10

It keeps blowing a 10 amp blade fuse. Thanks for your input, I'll give Lippert a call.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:29 PM   #11

Quote:
It keeps blowing a 10 amp blade fuse. Thanks for your input, I'll give Lippert a call.
Hmmm. I don't believe there is a 10amp blade fuse anywhere in my slide/jack hydraulic system. Inline or in the power center. What year is your RV?
Old 04-14-2020, 05:42 PM   #12

2016. I have a 10 and a 25 near the hydraulic pump.
Old 04-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #13

Quote:
2016. I have a 10 and a 25 near the hydraulic pump.
Yours is 4 years newer than mine, and I know there were a few changes. Will be interesting to see what Lippert says. The stopping and starting sure seems like the big auto reset circuit breaker. The 10amp blade fuse is puzzling. Let us know how it goes! Good luck.
Old 04-14-2020, 06:11 PM   #14

the 10 amp comes off of the circuit breaker. I get a pic of it all for you in a few.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:15 PM   #15

OK, so I found out that low battery voltage was part of the cause for the the blown fuse. I also found out after tracking my power that this little $6 50 amp circuit breaker was the reason nothing was working right. The breaker was bad and when it would get warm it wouldn't reset. All is good now. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:17 PM   #16

Quote:

OK, so I found out that low battery voltage was part of the cause for the the blown fuse. I also found out after tracking my power that this little $6 50 amp circuit breaker was the reason nothing was working right. The breaker was bad and when it would get warm it wouldn't reset. All is good now. Thanks for the help.
Fantastic! Congrats on finding the problem. And thank you for reporting back. I now carry a few of those circuit breakers in my 'just in case' spare parts box
Old 04-15-2020, 09:23 PM   #17

On a class B I had, there was a plastic reset button on the end that had to be pushed to reset! It is small and not normally seen unless you look for it! It was used on my converter/ charger, but you could also have one for the motors. Even if it is an automatic reset, it will take time to cool so you can reset!!

wanderer44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide