Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #1

Puncture in hydraulic line

Hubby was working in the front end of our NEW Cedarcreek Silverback and hubby accidentally puncture a hydraulic line. It has a slow leak. Any words of wisdom, any advise would be greatly appreciated......We haven't even gotten to take it out yet. Aye yi yi
Old 03-25-2019, 07:36 AM   #2

i wonder if that is a warranty repair? no harm trying. if denied i would call the manufacturer and ask for advice / replacement part / repair procedure. you could probably get a replacement hose made locally if you take the existing one into a hydraulic shop. but i would make sure you have the proper instruction on how to take it off and install the replacement. how do you bleed the line after it has been replaced?

if this line is used to support the front legs you might need to get some cribbing under the frame to support the trailer as i would expect it to sag as fluid leaks out of the line.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:43 AM   #3

He spoke to Lippert, The whole line has to be replaces, It has special connectors on the ends....We are going to try the warranty route, We have our first big trip planned
04-20-19
Old 03-25-2019, 07:48 AM   #4
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Hydraulic lines are HIGH pressure and reinforced with steel braids in the hose.

Get a replacement whether warranty or not. You can't band-aid hydraulic hoses safely.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 03-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
Dahagen

I had a hose leak too. I found a local heavy equipment repair guy and he made me a new hose and installed it.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcevers_13 View Post
Hubby was working in the front end of our NEW Cedarcreek Silverback and hubby accidentally puncture a hydraulic line. It has a slow leak. Any words of wisdom, any advise would be greatly appreciated......We haven't even gotten to take it out yet. Aye yi yi
I dont' know where you are located but any heavy equipment or hydraulic shop can use the two ends of your old hose and create a new hose for you.

If DH can remove the line you can most likely take it to them and wait while they fashion the new hose.

This would be MUCH faster than waiting on Lippert!
Old 03-26-2019, 09:24 AM   #7

Took it back to CW, They are going to cover it under warranty. I know a lot of folks don't care for CW but they have always been fair to us. We hope that we will have it back in time for our trip to Gulf Shores in April. If not we will reschedule. We don't feel comfortable taking out on a road trip with never having to set it up. We bought it in Dec and we haven't taken it out yet......
Old 03-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #8

Yep, nothing wrong with CW. Most we have been to treated us great.

If you have hydraulic problems in the future, I would consider using a local hydraulic shop to make you a new line or rebuild a ram. Better quality than OEM. But free under warranty is great if you have the time!

Also these systems are self bleeding, so no worries about doing it yourself. Just have to cycle affected devices a few times.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
Old 03-26-2019, 10:02 AM   #9

That most definitely is NOT a warranty repair. Warranty covers manufacturer defects. CW is most likely going to just file it as a claim and not mention that you did it so that they can be paid.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
That most definitely is NOT a warranty repair. Warranty covers manufacturer defects. CW is most likely going to just file it as a claim and not mention that you did it so that they can be paid.
Sounds like good customer service to me! Glad to see CW helping the OP out.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Sounds like good customer service to me! Glad to see CW helping the OP out.

If CW files it as a claim, they're not actually "helping them out." They're filing a warranty claim and getting paid. If the OP told the full story to CW, I guess you have a couple ways to look at it- assuming CW is going to file it (assuming they are since the OP stated "under warranty")- 1. CW is great and they are helping someone out. Or 2. CW is dishonest and is filing a false claim with the manufacturer. This makes CW look like the good guy when the manufacturer is actually absorbing the cost. The only way I see CW as the hero is if they are covering the cost of the replacement themselves out of the goodness of their heart. I don't have a lot of experience with CW- I was actually told not to shop there by the CEO - but that scenario seems unlikely by what others have stated.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:03 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
If CW files it as a claim, they're not actually "helping them out." They're filing a warranty claim and getting paid. If the OP told the full story to CW, I guess you have a couple ways to look at it- assuming CW is going to file it (assuming they are since the OP stated "under warranty")- 1. CW is great and they are helping someone out. Or 2. CW is dishonest and is filing a false claim with the manufacturer. This makes CW look like the good guy when the manufacturer is actually absorbing the cost. The only way I see CW as the hero is if they are covering the cost of the replacement themselves out of the goodness of their heart. I don't have a lot of experience with CW- I was actually told not to shop there by the CEO - but that scenario seems unlikely by what others have stated.
That's a lot of assumptions. Geesh!

Maybe CW is simply replacing it as a goodwill gesture since the OP just bought it when they said they'd cover it.

CW gets bashed here a lot and rightly so in many cases but you can't cast that wide net and condemn every mention of them without knowing all the details.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
Old 03-26-2019, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
That's a lot of assumptions. Geesh!

Maybe CW is simply replacing it as a goodwill gesture since the OP just bought it when they said they'd cover it.

CW gets bashed here a lot and rightly so in many cases but you can't cast that wide net and condemn every mention of them without knowing all the details.

No assumptions- my very first word in the paragraph was "IF". I simply laid out some possible scenarios. It is possible it worked out the way you say. Once again, wouldn't be real characteristic of them based on the reputation they seem to have developed. Considering how easy it would be for CW to simply claim it under warranty, it is the most logical scenario.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:00 PM   #14

Quote:
No assumptions- my very first word in the paragraph was "IF". I simply laid out some possible scenarios.
Just a mild attempt to thinly disguise the chance to bash CW. As usual.

Either way, CW did the OP a solid.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:43 PM   #15

Quote:

Either way, CW did the OP a solid.

Just a mild attempt to thinly disguise the chance to promote CW. As usual.

You still haven't told me how it was CW that did the OP a solid IF they filed it and got paid for it.

Edit: I did have to LOL at the "as usual" part where you're implying that I'm regularly bashing CW.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Just a mild attempt to thinly disguise the chance to promote CW. As usual.

You still haven't told me how it was CW that did the OP a solid IF they filed it and got paid for it.

Edit: I did have to LOL at the "as usual" part where you're implying that I'm regularly bashing CW.
Oh, that wasn't aimed only at you. All you have to do is mention CW and the bashing commences immediately.

And CW did do right by the OP. His problem is fixed and it didn't cost him anything. Who cares if CW turned it in as warranty or ate it? Not our concern.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Oh, that wasn't aimed only at you. All you have to do is mention CW and the bashing commences immediately.

And CW did do right by the OP. His problem is fixed and it didn't cost him anything. Who cares if CW turned it in as warranty or ate it? Not our concern.

OK- slightly misinterpreted that. Thought you were speaking about me constantly bashing CW. I'm pretty sure that in my almost 3K posts I haven't mentioned CW more than a handful of times.
Old 03-26-2019, 03:14 PM   #18
Site Team

Since it looks like the OP's problem is being fixed by their dealer, we are going to go ahead and close this thread. Not much more can be done by us here.
Closed Thread

Tags
hydraulic