Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2017, 03:14 PM   #1

Rain water from the slide poured in RV

We were closing our slide which is on a 2018 Sunseeker 2400w Mercedes, and the water from on top of awning that is over the slide out came pouring in the cab. Has anyone had that problem or know of a solution.
sunseeker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 03:30 PM   #2

yeah, this happens somtimes.

You want to go outside before you close the slide and tip one end of the slider topper with a rod or stick or something, that will start the water off the other side.

OR use your leveling jacks to lower one end of the coach.

OR close the slide slowly and a little at time to get the water time to run off.

even then, there might and likely will be , water still on TOP of the slide itself, blown in by the wind. Just have towels handy to dry that up either before driving, or after it runs off from acceleration.
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:40 PM   #3

Close the cab windows first.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Close the cab windows first.

Thanks! We were told once you start the closing process of the slide to keep it going until it is closed. They told us if you stop and start the slide in mid stream you are likely to have issues. The slide is about 14 feet and it pools in the middle. The space is too long to get a beach ball in without a ladder and long pole. It's just seems to be poorly designed but thanks for taking the time to help!
Old 08-26-2017, 02:29 PM   #5

Pouring in the cab because of an open door or window in the cab area ?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #6

Rain water from the slide poured in RV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
Pouring in the cab because of an open door or window in the cab area ?

No. All windows closed. It was quite a bit of water. Not just a few drops. I had to take a rag and keep wringing it out to soak up as much water as I could.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Water On The Awning.

I had the same problem with water pooling on the slide awning. I corrected the problem by tightening the springs on the awnings. this prevents pooling of water on top of the awnings.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
I had the same problem with water pooling on the slide awning. I corrected the problem by tightening the springs on the awnings. this prevents pooling of water on top of the awnings.

Thanks! Didn't know you could do that!!
Old 08-27-2017, 03:15 PM   #9

Slide Awning Water

You also might want to tighten up the awning material so it doesn't sag when extended.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker56 View Post
No. All windows closed. It was quite a bit of water. Not just a few drops. I had to take a rag and keep wringing it out to soak up as much water as I could.
If you had all the doors and windows closed and water still entered the cab area you have more problems than your slide topper water issue.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to Tiggerdad
What type slide mechanism do you have. I have heard that the Swintek should not be interrupted when closing or opening so as not to change the sequence. If you have the Lippert rack and pinion or hydraulics then starting and stopping should not be an issue. I have done this with the rack and pinion hundreds of times without issue.

2013 Crusader 330 MKS
2013 Chevrolet Silverado LT 2500 D/A
Tiggerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:11 PM   #12
King of the Road

take pool noodles from the dollar store, I would say 10 for a 14' slide cover.

Band, tie or otherwise 5 of them together, then create another set the same.

Push one set under the slide cover on one side, the other set on the other side. Adjust the number/thickness of these depending on space between slide cover and top of slide.

This will create a "hump" and keep water from pooling on the slide cover.

You can use small beach balls, and I have even use balloons blown up to the correct size, a few tied down a line and pulled through.

Just remember to remove them before you try to bring the slide in. I use a sticky by the switch as a reminder.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:23 AM   #13

Have the same issue with my 2016 MBW 2400. Since it's never quite level front to back, I found using a broom to push up the high side near one end gets the water flowing over the low edge enough to prevent the carpool effect.

We've been on the road just over 4 months now and would not be able to deal with beach balls or pool noodles. Can anyone explain how to tighten the springs?

Old 08-28-2017, 03:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdad View Post
What type slide mechanism do you have. I have heard that the Swintek should not be interrupted when closing or opening so as not to change the sequence. If you have the Lippert rack and pinion or hydraulics then starting and stopping should not be an issue. I have done this with the rack and pinion hundreds of times without issue.

Not sure but they did stress to not stop and start the slide. So we do not ever do that. This is a brand new unit 7 days old.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
You also might want to tighten up the awning material so it doesn't sag when extended.

How is that done?
Old 08-28-2017, 01:32 PM   #16

When the slide starts coming in the neither their are no seals in contact with their resting place so you are counting on the rubber flaps over the crack to keep water out. Some work well some don't. My 2016 SilverBack needed to have the camper side of the slide topper raised (actually a new one) raised a few inches. The topper ALWAYS held water. Climbed up and original looked exactly level. Hmmm. No water pooling with the altered camper side attachment.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #17
King of the Road

These slide toppers should NEVER be level. The should be 2-3 inches higher on the side connected to the RV. The more level they are the more water they will allow to accumulate and then they sag and let more water stand. Even tightening won't help much if the slide cover is fairly level.

The best solution is as has been mentioned, the side connected to the RV should be raised as much as possible.

2016 days camped = 91, 2017 days camped = 109
Dano1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano1955 View Post
These slide toppers should NEVER be level. The should be 2-3 inches higher on the side connected to the RV. The more level they are the more water they will allow to accumulate and then they sag and let more water stand. Even tightening won't help much if the slide cover is fairly level.

The best solution is as has been mentioned, the side connected to the RV should be raised as much as possible.

Thanks, we are checking into this!

Tags
slide, water