Old 10-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

Schwintek Controller

2015 Rockwood Ultralite 2608WS bedroom slide doesn't work. I have the camper plugged in to A/C. No LEDs are lit on the slide controller. It is a wardrobe slide - so it is small. Controller 13398-C2.
13.7 VDC on the hot wire to the controller but when wire is connected to the controller it pulls down to 3.6 VDC. I unplugged all other wires (both motor connectors, extend wire, retract wire) and it stays at 3.6 VDC on the input voltage. I also tried the electronic manual override procedure by pushing the button 6 times and holding it down on the 7th push but the LEDs never came on.

I'm thinking the controller is bad but looking for any suggestions. What am I missing?

Thanks,
Vince

Old 10-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
Lacey's Spring, AL

sounds like either you have a disconnect on the controller, or your battery is too low.

while it sounds good that you are 'plugged in', shore power really has nothing to do with the 12v powered controller and motor(s), but may only serve to give the battery a slight boost. A low battery can create many problems since RVs are designed for 12v power.

formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerFR View Post
sounds like either you have a disconnect on the controller, or your battery is too low.

while it sounds good that you are 'plugged in', shore power really has nothing to do with the 12v powered controller and motor(s), but may only serve to give the battery a slight boost. A low battery can create many problems since RVs are designed for 12v power.
I agree with the battery possibly being the problem since he is reading 13.7 volts, indicating that the converter is trying to charge the (possibly dead) battery.

Bruce
Old 10-06-2019, 05:59 PM   #4

I was betting the battery was OK since everything else is working without issue: the bigger slide, the tongue jack, lights, refrigerator, etc. I just bought that battery earlier this year and keep the trailer plugged in with hopes of keeping the battery charged. I'll put the battery on the charger for a few days and give it another try.

Thank you for the quick replies!
Vince
Old 10-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #5

Thought i should say that I also checked voltage on the Extend and Retract terminals on the controller. Both are getting 13.7 VDC when the switch is pushed to the respective position.

Thanks
Old 10-07-2019, 06:24 PM   #6

I unplugged the A/C cord to take the converter out of the picture. With the trailer battery still connected I measured 12.54 VDC on the hot wire at the slide controller, dropped to 3.5 VDC when I put the wire back on the slide controller terminal. Then I disconnected the trailer battery and connected my truck battery to the the trailer wires. Measured 12.69 VDC on the hot wire at the slide controller, dropped to 3.5 VDC when I put the wire back on the slide controller terminal. The slide doesn't operate in any of these scenarios. I had an on-line chat with tech support at Lci1.com - not helpful. He said it was a wiring problem and when I asked how did he reach that conclusion his response was "do you think its the controller?" I told him I contacted them to help determine the problem and told him my findings described in my posts above and his response was "I think it is a problem with the wiring or converter". At least he didn't try to sell me a controller.

Any suggestions? Thanks,
Vince
Old 10-07-2019, 08:17 PM   #7
Head Rambler

With the power dragging down like that under load, I'd suspect a blown fuse, and when there's no load on it you're reading leakage through the blown fuse indicator.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:58 AM   #8

Fuse on the controller? I took the cover off and didn't see one, just the circuit board. I've checked every fuse I can find with an ohm meter and all are OK. I've verified 12 VDC the supply wire for the controller and also on both the Extend and Retract wires when the button is pushed. There is 12 to 13 VDC on the supply wire until it is connected to the controller then it goes down to about 3.5 VDC. Stays at 3.5 VDC regardless of which other wires are connected or disconnected (motor controller cables, Extend wire, Retract wire).

Thanks,
Vince
Old 10-08-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
Head Rambler

I'd be looking for the fuse in the power panel.
If it's not that, it's likely a loose connection at a junction. Start at one end and work back toward the other. It could be a monster to find.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I'd be looking for the fuse in the power panel.
If it's not that, it's likely a loose connection at a junction. Start at one end and work back toward the other. It could be a monster to find.

I agree, sounds like a high resistance connection. Could be a broken wire or a dirty connection. You might try pulling on the connector at the board and see if it Is loose.

It is said the Good Lord does not take away from man's allotted time on Earth the time he spends Camping, Fishing or Hunting. If this be true, I may yet attain immortality!
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 03:27 PM   #11

I just ran into the same problem. I tightened every electrical connection I could get to and problem solved slide works.
Gocast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #12
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
With the power dragging down like that under load, I'd suspect a blown fuse, and when there's no load on it you're reading leakage through the blown fuse indicator.
Had the same issue back in June on my Sunseeker. I wrote a thread on it and found my issue..... a blown circuit breaker. Not at the converter, but at another location in my unit.
Bet you will have to look everywhere for another panel or an inline resettable breaker. I'm not a bettin' man, but I'm bettin' that's the case.
Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:21 PM   #13

I've been messing with it over the last several days. This evening I took the battery off the tongue and placed it close to the controller. I wired the battery directly to the controller (with an in-line fuse on the hot jumper) and the LEDs on the controller came on. I pushed the EXTEND switch to reset the controller and it works. Fully extends and retracts as it should when connected this way. I removed the jumpers and it doesn't work.

You all are spot on with your diagnosis, THANKS! Now I have to find the problem with that wire that powers the controller. I've checked everything I can find between the converter and where the wires go into the floor behind it and at the controller where the wires go from the controller down into the floor. I'll go through it again but may have to start taking down the underbelly to see what I can find.

Thanks again!
Vince
Old 10-09-2019, 08:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsandy View Post
I've been messing with it over the last several days. This evening I took the battery off the tongue and placed it close to the controller. I wired the battery directly to the controller (with an in-line fuse on the hot jumper) and the LEDs on the controller came on. I pushed the EXTEND switch to reset the controller and it works. Fully extends and retracts as it should when connected this way. I removed the jumpers and it doesn't work.

You all are spot on with your diagnosis, THANKS! Now I have to find the problem with that wire that powers the controller. I've checked everything I can find between the converter and where the wires go into the floor behind it and at the controller where the wires go from the controller down into the floor. I'll go through it again but may have to start taking down the underbelly to see what I can find.

Thanks again!
Vince
Try checking the voltage at the converter, if the voltage drops at the converter, then the problem is not in the floor. It is either the converter connection, the converter itself or upstream of the converter.

It is said the Good Lord does not take away from man's allotted time on Earth the time he spends Camping, Fishing or Hunting. If this be true, I may yet attain immortality!
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
controller