Old 08-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #1

SCHWINTEK Slide: Manual Operation

To Rockwood Owners who have the Schwintek slide mechanism:

I am about to embark on a long journey and feel that I need to be prepared to manually extend and retract my slide out. Does anyone have an Rx for how to do this? We own a 2018 Rockwood Roo, 21DK. The slide-out is 8' long fortunately. Have already checked the forum threads but have come up empty. Thanks!!
tworootrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:41 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I had a 2012 with a Super Slide 18 ft on Schwintek. We traded the trailer a year later as it failed first trip, third trip, 4th trip and so on. Lipperts has some videos on their site to maulalyt retreats the slide, make sur you have tools to do so also some 2 by 4 to lock the slide to be able to drive down the road. I have a Heartland Landmark Louisville with a bedroom slide in slide. Double Schwintek. Never had a failure as they are installed on a short slide.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:42 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to B and B
A good instruction video! Thor to the rescue, this is the best one I have found.

B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 05:47 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworootrain View Post
To Rockwood Owners who have the Schwintek slide mechanism:

I am about to embark on a long journey and feel that I need to be prepared to manually extend and retract my slide out. Does anyone have an Rx for how to do this? We own a 2018 Rockwood Roo, 21DK. The slide-out is 8' long fortunately. Have already checked the forum threads but have come up empty. Thanks!!
You need to watch Schwintek troubleshooting videos. It's not like other slideout systems. There isn't any way to crank in or out. You have to disconnect the two motors and then push it in or out.
There are hundreds of posts and threads here, on this, so not sure how you're phrasing your searches. In fact, we usually get the same question here, every other week.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
TARVIDSON

Lippert slides

Lippert(Schwintek) slides can be pushed by hand by removing power to the motors. The easiest way to do that is to unplug the controller which is usually in a storage below the slide. That releases the brakes on the motors. Be aware it is not easy to push the slide. The usual problem is that one motor is not working and the slide gets jammed. A better solution than completely freeing the slide is to activate the override and have one person operate the slide button and have one person push the non moving side of the slide at the same speed as the side that is working to keep it from jamming again. The lippert videos are very helpful at seeing how things work but they make things like changing a motor look much simpler than they really are. They do explain how to do the reset and override and what the blinking lights on the controller are supposed to mean. The most common problem on the motors that I have seen is that the wires break off where they are soldered on to the motor. These can be soldered back on quite often. The newer motors have a rubber sheath around all of this which should do a better job of protecting the wiring and also makes it a bigger pita to get the motor into place. Be aware if you do change a motor that the 4 little bolts hanging off the bottom of the motor have to slide down into holes in the block below the motor to keep it from turning. The clamp that is tightened from outside the motorhome only holds the motor in place, it does not stop it from spinning and possible tearing all the wires out again. You will need the slide half in and half out to change a motor as they put the clamp screw on the outside of the RV and the motor has to come out the inside. I am sure they could have set up the clamp from the inside and made it a lot simpler. If it ever happens to you on the road using the override and always having two people so someone can push the switch and someone can push or pull one end of the slide will get you down the road without much trouble, the actual fix is a lot more trouble. You may need to set a wood block or something to hold the slide in properly on the end where the slide is not working. Both times I have dealt with this, the slide stayed in position without a block.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:52 PM   #6

You can also set the controller into manual mode and bring them in and out with the button . I have been able to override a motor with a broken wire .
Old 08-18-2020, 07:50 PM   #7

Thank you so much for posting that link for Schwintek slides.
So helpful!
Old 08-18-2020, 07:56 PM   #8

Thank you!!

Appreciate your answer so much.!
Old 09-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #9

Also get CRC Power Lube with PTFE as recommended by Lippert. They and some RV shops suggest lubing about once or twice a year.
ng2951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, slide