Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 12:04 PM   #41

When we received our camper I didn't know anything about the slides .I sat down one rainy weekend watched all the videos I could find about slides then went out and found all the controllers so I would know where they where a year later wife was putting slide in one side stopped moving she called me . I looked it over motor had come out of base screw holding it in place was missing stuck motor back in place ran slide in and out 6 times to get motors to sink up they count revolutions slide worked fine got back home ordered set screw installed all was fine anyway if I had not watched videos I would have been lost You need to know where your controllers are in case you are at a remote camp site so you can help yourself out of a jam . just my thoughts .
doanshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:44 PM   #42
Motorized GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaeTA View Post
I think that a majority of schwintek issues arent so much about the product itself but rather its installation.
In theory...but when you have a tolerance of 1/16" on some things....then it is about the product.

1/16" doesn't really existing in the construction industry. Anything less than a saw blade is unrealistic (coming from an engineering and hands on production background)
Please post questions as a "New Thread" (not private message) so that others can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps.https://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube page for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 01:44 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by doanshop View Post
When we received our camper I didn't know anything about the slides .I sat down one rainy weekend watched all the videos I could find about slides then went out and found all the controllers so I would know where they where a year later wife was putting slide in one side stopped moving she called me . I looked it over motor had come out of base screw holding it in place was missing stuck motor back in place ran slide in and out 6 times to get motors to sink up they count revolutions slide worked fine got back home ordered set screw installed all was fine anyway if I had not watched videos I would have been lost You need to know where your controllers are in case you are at a remote camp site so you can help yourself out of a jam . just my thoughts .
KNOWLEDGE is POWER and can save one a truck load of money too!

Dakota 1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #44
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
In theory...but when you have a tolerance of 1/16" on some things....then it is about the product.

1/16" doesn't really existing in the construction industry. Anything less than a saw blade is unrealistic (coming from an engineering and hands on production background)
I won't mention the manufacturer... however I helped rebuild a Schwintek powered slide out that was over 3/4" out of square, at the time I had a basic TT from the same manufacturer that had a wood-framed dinette that was over an inch out of square.

I agree that 1/16" tolerance is not really achievable in something as flexible as an RV. However, I do expect things to be within a 1/4" per foot.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:31 PM   #45
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaeTA View Post
I think that a majority of schwintek issues arent so much about the product itself but rather its installation.
I agree wholeheartedly. Most of the problems I have seen with the Schwintek slides have been due to the manufacturer exceeding the design parameters of the slides or being way out of tolerance, quite often in the 1/2"-1" out of square on a larger slide.

For the record, I do own an RV with Schwintek slides and they have been very reliable for the 5 years I have had them. I do lubricate them twice a year per the Lippert directions and make sure to sync them any time they sound a bit off.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:43 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingefamily View Post
I too became an expert a pulling slide motors after numerous issues with our 2650S CDW Sunseeker. But once I figured out the loose wire problem, our slide has been reliable. I hold the button and don't partially retract the slide. We choose this model as the slide in or out is not critical to the RVs use as I recognize the vulnerability of slides. It's a trade off: the extra room a slide provides, or the potential headaches. Your choice.
I worked for a week trying to find a short in my slide system. Than out of the blue the b$#t&=d decided to work.
I took it to the auction and bought a new one.
In my opinion Scwintec is junk.
How could I leave for holidays for the summer when I knew full well it could happen again?
My new trailer has provisions to crank the slide in or out if needed!
Schwintec never again!
Highwayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 09:37 AM   #47

I know that feeling well; once something is unreliable, it's time for replacement. But, all is good for the last 2 years, so we will hang on to our unit. I like everything else about it.
tingefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:06 AM   #48

Our current TT is our first with a slide out - I would say a medium sized on - extends 36" and is just the U shaped dinette. Like many here I read some horror stories but have not had any of my own. After reading through this thread I think I understand things a bit better regarding how the slide works.

So if I understand what I read, the Schwintech slides balance on the rollers in the body of the "box" and the motors drive gears on the 4 tracks (top & bottom and front & back). When the slide is fully extended the flanges on the interior wall of the slide should be in full contact with the interior wall of the trailer and give both the slide out and the trailer wall strength/stability. When the slide is fully retracted the contact points are reversed to establish the same support. This also means when the slide is in any other position than fully in or out the slide is just balancing on the rollers and all the load is carried on the racks and drive gears.

Have I got that right? If so, do hydraulic or other types of slide mechanisms use this same principal of stabilizing the slide/"box" with contact along the wall edges? If not, how do they do it?
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 10:46 AM   #49
NXR

Yes, that's pretty much correct but individual RV models can be different.

We have the Power Gear SlimRack electric system which also has two tracks on each side but their tracks can float a bit up and down and in and out. They're kind of a square plastic "rod" with gear teeth on one side.

So my "tracks" are not solidly screwed to the sides of the slide like the Schwintek. That allows for more installation tolerance variability and also kind of self-aligns itself. The SlimRack is actually a rack-and-pinion system and the floating tracks are the "rack" part.

On the bottom inside edge of our slides, Forest River mounted wooden blocks that look like 2x4's. They have carpet stapled to them and they help support the inside end of the slide when its fully retracted and when its moving in or out.

That carpet-covered wood slides across the vinyl flooring as the slide moves in and out. I have no idea how that carpet could ever be replaced once it wears out so this may actually be a really bad idea on their part. I heard the newer models no longer use those wooden blocks and instead have some new type of roller arrangement.

So as one person so aptly noted, an awful lot of the reliability does depend on the individual installation.

Another is operator error. Do not have heavy stuff or people in the slide when its moving in or out. Do not partially extend the slide and try to use it. Not only will the seals not seal, you have the "balance" problem you noted.

Ray
Old 07-17-2021, 11:29 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Do not have heavy stuff or people in the slide when its moving in or out. Do not partially extend the slide and try to use it. Not only will the seals not seal, you have the "balance" problem you noted.

Ray
This is the part we make sure we are cautious with. Our floor plan requires that the slide be at least 8 or 10 inches out to allow access to the refrigerator and bed area. Unfortunately where we store the trailer won't allow us to fully deploy the slide when parked. To avoid issues with partial deployment when we're loading up or emptying the trailer we have very little in the under dinette storage and nobody is EVER sitting at the table. Fingers crossed that we continue to have an issue free slide out for years to come!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #51

I used to put mine out a foot in order to access ours too.
I never had a problem with being able to recalibrate if required.
Seems that is one thing they got right.
Highwayguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:08 PM   #52
FLY4FUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by slottere View Post
x2...for five years
#3. No problems
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 04:12 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota 1120 View Post
I have the Schwinteck slide for over 8 years and never had an issue. Maybe should do the lube recommendations as only done that once, and haphazzardly.
I also never had an issue with the years I had a Schwintek slide, but also followed the lube procedure from a Lippert video including the spray lube they recommend. Also operated the slide as they recommend. Not sure what your point was.
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:20 PM   #54
TARVIDSON

how to lubricate schwintek slide

Somebody asked what the proper procedure to lubricate a schwintek slide is and I don't believe I saw a reply.
Just ask your computer: (how to lubricate schwintek slide) and you will see multiple short videos on that subject and what to use for lubricant.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:02 PM   #55

We have an 8 year old class C 3170 and it has both the Schwintec slide and the Lippert gear slide.
The only slide issue we have had was the Lippert Gear slide. A pin in the gearbox broke and the tech was able to repair the gearbox without removing the slide.
We have had no issues with the Schwintec and we do as everyone else, operation and maintenance.

Thank you Mr Clemons for the gear slide explanation as mine will tilt, sealing the top than pulling the bottom in. You learn something everyday.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide