Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #1

Schwintek Slide System. Why?

Ever since the introduction of the Schwintek slide system, I have read of problem after problem with them on every RV forum I frequent. I have never read where people are singing their praises or are looking for RVs that only have them.

I have never had a Schwintek slide, and have never had a slide problem, so when the time comes that I am in the market for a new RV, I will be trying my best to avoid any RV that uses the Schwintek slide system.

My question is; what advantages, if any, do Schwintek slides have over other traditional systems? From my standpoint of never owning one and only reading about the problems so many people have with them, I can’t think of any advantages. What is it that I don’t know about Schwintek slide systems that make them necessary?

Bruce
Old 07-11-2021, 10:06 AM   #2

This is certainly a guess, our previous rig had two slides, a PowerGear for the living room slide, a Schwintek for a bedroom wardrobe slide. The living room extended 42” the wardrobe slide about 18”.

I still frequent that brand forum and don’t hear many Schwintek problems. Before Irving one I read about issues but learned the importance of not partially extending/retracting a Schwintek slide which gets the two motors out of sync. It’s best to extend/retract them fully and keep the button depressed for a few seconds when moving it in each direction which keeps the motors in sync. I followed their lube recommendations as well and never had an issue in 4 years of owning one.
Rolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolland View Post
This is certainly a guess, our previous rig had two slides, a PowerGear for the living room slide, a Schwintek for a bedroom wardrobe slide. The living room extended 42” the wardrobe slide about 18”.

I still frequent that brand forum and don’t hear many Schwintek problems. Before Irving one I read about issues but learned the importance of not partially extending/retracting a Schwintek slide which gets the two motors out of sync. It’s best to extend/retract them fully and keep the button depressed for a few seconds when moving it in each direction which keeps the motors in sync. I followed their lube recommendations as well and never had an issue in 4 years of owning one.
I’m sure there are many people who have had no problems with them, especially those like you who understand the tricks and procedures to keep them working properly.

I’m mainly wondering what advantages they have over other systems.

Bruce
Old 07-11-2021, 10:38 AM   #4

Just like Rolland. I read many instructions and followed the same procedure he listed . In 5 years never a problem.
Old 07-11-2021, 11:02 AM   #5

I'll guess the RV mfgr. chooses them because they're not as expensive as hydraulic slides. I don't think Schwinteks are made for bigger slides. I have two and the bigger of the two has always been the slowest and I've had to repair/finagle one of the motors. A lot of people don't know that it's possible, or even required, to hold the button down for five seconds after each open/close cycle to allow the motors to sync.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:59 PM   #6

I have had these on many units and never a problem, currently 2 hydraulic and 3 electric. Don't ask about the cable slides though. Put these out individually and slowly count to five after they stop moving on each cycle.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #7

I've had Power Gear and Schwintek which is part of LCI/Lippert and unfortunately I've had and still having issues even with my current MH. My theory with a lot of these issues is the motors that are used to drive the gears to deploy and retract this slides just isn't powerful enough to moved them constantly over time. Syncing them does help but, JMO there's got to be a better way than to constantly have these issues. A friend told me one of these companies admitted to him that after have continuous issues for over a year that they had installed larger motors which seemed to resolve the issues. Once they did his problems seen to go away. My thought has never install a marginal size motor, bigger is better. But as we a now the RV industry doesn't always think that way. Just like having 19.5 wheels on my 2018 Georgetown Class A gasser, now they have 22.5 and I've been told rides a lot better but thats beside the point. Syncing is important but luring them is as well. My advice always learn the way, if possible, to manually retract you slide if the motors fail. Its not easy but its better than being stuck in a CG for days waiting and hoping a mobile tech can fix it.
Great Granddaughter - Cora (2 y/o)
Great Grandson - Zek (1 y/o)
Phillip (son)/Charlotte (6 y/o)
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:39 PM   #8

The Schwintek design is for smaller, light weight slide like our wardrobe. It allows the slide without needing to be connected to the underside of the trailer. The motors are smaller and overall cost less. Using a different slide system might have eliminated having access to the underside storage area from both sides that I like.

Large slides need more beefy systems. I think I've seen a few trailers where they tried using Schwinteks on the large slide and if they did, those probably account for some of the reported issues.
Similar to others, our 2017 hasn't had an issue with the either slides.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 01:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
It allows the slide without needing to be connected to the underside of the trailer.
Thank you. This is the type of information that I’m looking for.

Bruce
Old 07-11-2021, 02:17 PM   #10

Schwintek Slide System. Why?

I have a Schwintec slide in our slide out with couch in it. We’ve not had any issues but I always make sure to run it completely out/in when I use it.
phipps33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps33 View Post
I have a Schwintec slide in our slide out with couch in it. We’ve not had any issues but I always make sure to run it completely out/in when I use it.
x2...for five years

Camping days since 2015(39), '16(71) '17(72), '18(99), '19(36), '20(41) '21(52-so far!)

slottere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 03:30 PM   #12

I have one with a reclining sofa in it and never had an issue. Now having said this it will probably give me problems this weekend camping. Dang...............
Old 07-11-2021, 03:38 PM   #13
NXR

From reading, the issues with the Schwintek system seemed to occur when it began getting installed on the larger slides. I know Winnebago had a program several years ago where, for a cost, they would remove the Schwintek and install the Power Gear SlimRack.

Lippert bought Power Gear around 2014 and also bought Schwintek in late 2019.

I recall reading that Lippert made significant changes to the Schwintek system to improve reliability but there hasn't been much chance for those changes to make it into the field.

I also recall that there were significant changes made to the SlimRack system around 2018. The motor attach method was changed because some people had experienced cracks in the place where the motor attaches to the mechanism. I think the gearing ratio on the motors changed from 300:1 to 500:1 to give them more power.

I think the SlimRack probably is more tolerant of slide misalignment because its rack is allowed to float. That has to compensate for side-to-side slop in the slide. Schwintek has their track solidly screwed to the slide side and those grooves are not very deep. I'd suspect that it's far easier for the Schwintek design to go out of sync for that reason.

Ray
Old 07-11-2021, 03:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipps33 View Post
My Montana front living room 5er has 2 slides with couches and expect no problems either.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:11 PM   #15

I always thought the Shwinteck system allowed for a flat floor set up?
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:17 PM   #16
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
I always thought the Shwinteck system allowed for a flat floor set up?
I don't know how it could since it screws to the sides of the slide. I've seen hydraulic slides that move the slide out and then drop it down, though.

Ray
Old 07-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #17

5 years one on living room and one on queen bed in the bedroom. No problem so far.
KNMIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #18
TARVIDSON

schwintek slide problems

I have repaired one motor on a Schwintek so got quite familiar with tearing them out and putting in a new motor. Actually I was able to solder the wires back on and save the old motor. I have the new one which has a much nicer protection for the wires than the old one. I keep the new one for a spare. Several other people have had the same problem that I have found on the forums. Schwintek could have made it much easier to work on the motors if they had not made it so you have to undo the bracket that holds the motor in place from the outside and pull the motor from the inside. The new motor should eliminate the wiring problem but it is a pita to slide into place with its new thick rubber cover. Schwintek has helpful videos but make it look way easier than it is to replace a motor and don't explain that the 4 little bolts on the bottom of the motor have to be forced down into some holes that you can't see in order to keep the motor from spinning instead of moving the slide. I could now change a motor in about a half hour. The first couple times I missed a few things. Their controller is really good, you can free up the slide so you can push it by hand. I did most of it by myself but a helper to physically muscle the slide in and out would be handy. If you see one side of your slide not moving stop quickly and if you have a helper have them pull or push the slide to match the speed on the side that is working and you can get it closed or open. If the motor jams up or quits you will need to learn to reset the controller. See the videos and good luck.
TARVIDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #19

Schwintek slide issues

When we started to look for a newer TT in late 2020, I was really leery about having one with a large slide, and was contemplating buying one without a slide just because of all the issues I've been reading about here and other FB Forums. But we took the plunge in late October 2020 and got our current TT with a large super-slide having the dinette and sleeper couch in it. I had heard about even keeping the button depressed until the slide was completely in/out. The walkthrough person at the dealership we bought from even said to make sure that you keep the button depressed until the slide is completely in/out, which I was hoping he would say when we tested the slide operation. so, right now we are happy that we've not had any issues with ours yet, but keeping our fingers crossed each time we go camping! We love the floor plan with the double bunks, but gotta say that storage does suck. Big pantry area but only one kitchen drawer due to the outside kitchen, but we're making due. Have fun ya'll, KEEP ON CAMPING!
Old 07-12-2021, 11:16 AM   #20
Commercial Member

1. In-wall slides (Schwintec & Power Gear) are substantially lighter than traditional below floor slides allowing for more CCC.

2. Below floor slides (as mentioned earlier) dip down into the frame/storage area. We recently converted from a "below floor" slide to an "in wall" and all the cargo boxes got 6-8" taller in that area.

3. In-wall slides draw the slide in at (4) points (top/bottom, right/left). A below floor slide, only draws in from the bottom. So a below floor slide really needs to be buildt "out of alignment" so that the top hits first and then the bottom pulls in to make sure you get a tight seal all the way around. This is more of an art than a science. The in-wall versions allow you to build the slide room normally and should get pretty even seal throughout as you have more equal distribution of pressure.

4. For people that know what they are doing, the repair is simpler and more cost effective.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide